New news?

Not so much; I just got tired of Demonbeck’s rant being at the top all day. Consider this a weekend open thread.  🙂

1. more real political news of the week to discuss. that State Senate Term Bill has been a hot topic. I believe it is no fun to vote in a state senate race every 2 years that is unopposed. I think if state senate election was every four years instead of two there would be more candidates and more competitive elections.

2. Jeff Emanuel says:

Do you think so, Josh? I’m of two minds on the topic. First, a longer term means that they actually have time in their term to do things, rather than having every session be an audition for the next election (or an extension of the campaign). On the other hand, though, I really, really like the option to get folks out of office as early as possible if they don’t measure up.

By the way, all the cool guys keep their blog at RedState, not at Townhall. 😉

3. Jeff Emanuel,
    Red State is good for commenting, but it reminds me too much of Daily Kos. I like townhall because you get a whole page to yourself and can customize your blog. I do not see coolness as a issue. It is how you carry out your message that is the more important issue.

4. Mad Dog says:

No Peach Pundit commentary on Ann Coulter calling former Senator and Presidential Candidate John Edwards a faggot?

Come on now. Peach Pundit is an official blogger for the flappin’ event where it happened.

And, she got a standing ovation and an invite from Sadie.

Put your blog where her mouth is.

5. Joy says:

I can’t remember where I heard/read the name, but my favorite nickname for Edwards so far is “Johnny Quest” Edwards.
    It is so much easier to listen to his tripe when I can close my eyes and visualize the saturday morning cartoon characters giving the speeches.

I have tried, unsuccessfully, to picture a cartoon persona for Sen. Clinton. I keep coming back to the reveal in the Scooby Doo Mysteries where the bad guy would raise his/her fist & yell about those “meddling kids”, aka bloggers.

6. Mad Dog says:

Isn’t it a shame so many Republicans will be compared to Bush as a cartoon character.

At least Dan Quayle is now off the hook for potatoe.

7. rugby_fan says:

Mad Dog; whereas some people see that example of bile from Ann Coulter as her “speaking her mind”, I see it for what it is.

Her desire to be as offensive as possible so that her book sales go up and her narcissistic desires can be sated for a while.

You know what, the whole speech was rather amusing. The people in attendance supported her offensive remarks and had no qualms doing so! But she was not done yet, no sir! She then threw in some subtly racist remarks! I am not sure what was needed to make her speech a hat trick of offensive commentary but I am confident she will quickly figure that out.

Just out of curiosity, is this what the contemporary conservative movement wants to be identified with or as? This supreme example of a vile and contemptuous human being (and that was me being as nice as I could be to her).

Not you know, reducing government spending or the scope of government? More and more, “conservatives” should be ashamed of themselves and their leaders.

Alright, it is Saturday, ergo, it is a rugby day, so I will move on.

8. TPSoCal says:

I LOVE Ann Coulter. She cracks me up. But I realize she is our Michael Moore. When Howard Dean condems what Mr. Moore says about Bush and other Conservatives, then maybe I would take their criticism of Ann more seriously. Until you clean your own side of the street, leave ours alone.

9. rugby_fan says:

TPSoCal, I lump Michael Moore and Ann Coulter in the same ilk, they need to be silenced.

However, there is a huge difference between what Moore says and what Coulter just said.

10. Jeff Emanuel says:

“need to be silenced”? Nice, progressive sentiment there 😉

Free speech is awesome. Judgment is entirely different — and that statement, in that venue, deserves every bit of the condemnation it gets. How mind-blowingly stupid that is to a normal person. However, she’s getting exactly what she wants out of it: media coverage and tons of conversation about – you guessed it – herself.

I can do without her, as well.

11. bowersville says:

And everyone seems to continue to be enamored with the Anna NiCoulter of conservatism, even the left.

She does need to be silent, unless it sales….books & air time.

12. rugby_fan says:

Liberal meaning free (liberal democracy &c.).

Bowersville, the reason people are enamored Coulter is that she seems to be the epitome of contemporary American conservatism, and it is frankly hard to refute that belief.

There are never any denouncements of any of her statements, she is routinely invited to speak for conservatives anywhere.

The worst part about her is that she embodies all that is wrong with contemporary conservatism and gives it a bad name.

13. bowersville says:

Ann Coulter is to conservatism what Anna Nichol was to feminism.

McCain wasn’t at CPAC and is looking for cover. Blame it on Ann or Anna, it doesn’t matter.