Shafer Needs To Grow a Pair

Sen. David Shafer stuffed the cork back into the Sunday sales bill by appointing it to a subcommittee dominated by anti- Sunday salesalcohol extremists.  According to the AJC, a bunch of religious extremists showed up to Shafer’s committee and promised there would be blood on the hands of the committee members if anyone dies from a drunk driving accident where the alcohol was purchased on Sunday.

Where were all the supporters of Sunday sales?  Well, representatives from Publix and other retailers were there to say that their customers routinely ask for Sunday sales, but I have another theory: they are at work.  They have, you guessed it, Saturday and Sunday off, and unlike the head of the Christian Coalition, they don’t sit around and collect small donation checks from grandmas that allow them to parade around the Capitol threatening the wrath of God over my (and the average Georgian’s) ability to manage our time and grocery shopping the way we want.

I’ve got an idea for Shafer, he should go on talk radio on a Sunday afternoon and hear from everyday Georgians who aren’t stuck at work about what freedoms they want to have during their spare time, instead of just listening to the Georgia Christian Coalition.  Get a little diversity of diet, so to speak.

1. Philly says:

This b ill not passing will not stop anyone from drinking if they want to. They can buy it on Saturday or go into a restaurant and purchase it. If you are going to ban it, then ban it for all businesses. Don’t pick and choose.

2. Joy says:

“Pastors and conservative Christian groups told senators they would have blood on their hands if the bill passed and someone who bought liquor on Sunday was involved in a drunken-driving fatality.”

Interesting. Using this argument, shouldn’t they be good Christians seven days a week, and ban alcohol entirely?

3. Rick Day says:

No,Joy. See..,there is something sacred about SUNDAY spilled blood.

Oh.

Your.

God.

Thanks, sir, for re-confirming my total lack of faith in your Christian Cult dominated political system.

Your actions make the Baby Jesus cry.

4. jsm says:

I get so sick of hearing so-called Christians (including Sadie & Jim Beck) talk about protecting the Sabbath when referring to Sunday. Any Christian who has done any study on what we believe knows that Sunday has nothing to do with the Sabbath. Ignorance just gets under my skin, especially when combined with pompousness.

We need to get rid of morality laws. All they do is continue to pit the Pharisee bloc against the rest of society and make Christians look bad.

Regulating alcohol is not government’s purpose, and our legislators need to act on this. Bring government back to what it was meant to do (which, by the way, doesn’t include telling me to wear my seatbelt, i.e. SB86).

5. Joy says:

Seeing as how the proposal still does not allow for sales before noon, it’s not likely the heathen drunkards will be out swerving on the roads until the Christians are safely home from morning service.
    Of course, getting back for evening services will be a bit more dangerous, like the drive to Wednesday prayer meetings.

6. Demonbeck says:

I wouldn’t go so far as to say something negative about Sen. Shafer, who is as fine a legislator we have up in the Gold Dome, but …

… My church serves wine on Sunday.

Maybe that’s just a Savannah thing though.

7. Demonbeck says:

And another thing…

… If the General Assembly passes the bill allowing a restaurant to re-cork your wine so you can drive it home to finish it later rather than driving over the legal limit, what is to stop a restaurant from selling bottles of wine on Sunday’s? You could order a bottle, put it on your tab, tell the waiter you aren’t ready to drink it, pay your tab and drive the wine home. Does the bill say how much of the wine one must drink?

Sounds like a lucrative idea to me.

8. mr. winston says:

I have one question…whose blood is on whose hands if there is a drunk driving accident on Sunday at this very moment? Is that why this law is on the books in the first place, to eliminate drunk driving accidents on Sunday? I doubt it.

But seriously, try going to the Dollar General on Sunday. You will probably notice homeless people buying mouthwash to imbibe in place of alcohol. What if one homeless person dies as a result of drinking mouthwash instead of a beer? Whose blood is on whose hands then? If Jesus were here, he would probably say to those in that committee, “depart from me you wicked goats, because in as much as you have done to the least of these my brethren, you’ve done it unto me.” As of right now, I’m pinning it everyone who is not in favor of Sunday alcohol sales. Two can play this game.

9. Demonbeck says:

Pin the DUI-related deaths from people driving from restaurants on the folks who oppose the Sunday sales idea.

It’s always funny to me how worked up people get over issues like this. Why don’t we blame the person driving under the influence for the actions he or she takes? When did government become our parents and our conscience?

10. UGAchris says:

I love how the frontpage of PeachPundit has said “Shafer Needs To Grow a Pair” all morning. That in itself is punishment enough for what Shafer is doing.

11. Bill Simon says:

Gosh, gee, yes,Skeptical, me too….I really DO (not!) wonder where Senator John “Lock-Up All the Gays Because It Says So in The Book Of Sadie Fields” Douglas stands on this issue.

12. jsm says:

“whose blood is on whose hands if there is a drunk driving accident on Sunday at this very moment?”

Answer: The hands of those who drive drunk… as in PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY. Everything is not the government’s fault.

13. Tommy_a2b says:

To hankreardan, I do not know what party you ideologically associate with but I consider myself a Republican. I will not abandone my party when spineless RINO’s try and take it over. I stand and fight to retake my party and send the infiltrators packing. It only takes one concernded citizen to make this happen. Believe me there are some previously elected officials sitting at home right now probably wishing I had not gotten pissed.

I will put it to you this way. If my America goes to pot to the point that many start moving to Costa Rica or other places where they can get the fiscal freedom they want. I plan to stay and put up my little fight and I invite everyone to join in expelling those from Government who wish our country harm. Everyone else go join the libertarian or green party and think you can make a difference.

BTW- David Shafer is one of the best Senators in the Legislature. I stand with him on what ever decision he makes for now. I will wait and see what the end result is before calling him on the carpet.

One Senator friend of mine said this about Sunday sales of alcohol, “People who need Sunday sales of alcohol have one of two problems. Either they are stupid or an alcoholic.”

Possibly both I guess is possible. The current law is stupid but a new law probably is not truely needed.

14. Skeptical says:

I’m sure I know how he thinks/feels on this Bill. I’m curious for a particular reason…

15. hankreardan says:

Tommy a2b
    I am a hard core Libertarian.When you say a new law is not needed.this is what I am talking about.Why should you or any other Repulican decide when I can buy anything. What type of Republicans do you consider RINOS. It seems to me most the republicans I know love the religous right. The religous right people are not freedom lovers they want all of us to live by their religion and they are willing to use police force to make you live by their rules (sounds likethe Taliban). And you do not believe try and by beer this sunday at a store. The police will handcuff and put you in jail over this.

16. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Skeptical, why are you curious? Because it’s legal to purchase beer on a military base? I’m curious too! And we all know, Senator Douglas never misses an opportunity to remind us that he was in the military! 😉

17. Skeptical says:

I am curious as I am supposedly “represented” by him and I would love this opportunity to crucify him in the Covington News.

18. As an ex alcohol extremeist and a wikipediabible scholar, i vote:

YAY: and on the 7th day, the Lord said rest.

NAY: on the 7th day, the Lord said rest, get drunk, and gird the loins of your adult daughters with chastity belts to protect them from the Legislators with-a-pair.

What happened to SB509?

19. Tommy_a2b says:

Joshua Patterson, I have not fully educated myself on brian train. Today I would be for it if: it had an offshoot to Gainesville GA, if the Fed was paying for the bulk of its contruction with transportation dollars, if the fee to use it would cover its anual upkeep with no further taxes earmarked or created or stolen to fund it. Also keep in mind you referenced a resolution asking Congress for money and that is all.

I would be against it if the state and Fed would add 3 more lanes to each side of I-75,85 and 2 lanes to GA 316 and I-985 in the effected area. (NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.)

I feel that transportation is one of the proper uses of Government. But mismanaged dollars are an effect of the Transportation Depart.

Again, I withold judgement until any bill hits the floor of one of the chambers of the State Legislature and is voted on.

To hankreardan, I do not believe in telling you when you can and cannot buy a LEGAL product. But there is already a law regulating it. Creating a new law always gives me an ullser. I consider people a RINO when they Tax and Spend our hard earned money in most of the rediculous ways they do. That is why I am so excited about zero based budgeting. Also RINO’s are people who continue to meddle in my private life, like so many do. Finally a RINO would be someone who is against Capitalism. I.E. restricting private business in a manner that no one may smoke on the primesis. I want goverment to stop being my mother. (BTW- I do not smoke, and smoking killed my grand father who I miss very much.) BTW, the person who sponcered that crappy piece of legislation is retired.

Just so you understand, these established rules above are not one strike and you are out clauses. I look at the body the work a legislator has done.

Sorry for all the misspelled words.

20. Bill Simon says:

Skeptical,

Really now, “crucify”?

Crucifying someone hasn’t occurred for a few hundred or so years

How about using the word “excoriate” instead?

21. Skeptical says:

Ok Bill, I’ll use “excoriate”, but I like the sound of crucify better, especially for Sen. John “Holier Than Thou Because Sadie Says I Am” Douglas

22. Tommy_a2b says:

Bill interesting word. I had to look it up. I shall use this one in the future due to the 2 possible meanings. I like the second one better.

excoriate \ek-SKOR-ee-ayt\, transitive verb:
    1. To express strong disapproval of; to denounce.
    2. To tear or wear off the skin of.

23. foray says:

Banning the sale of booze on Sunday allows for one to practice life skills like: getting prepared, thinking ahead.

Buy it on Saturday.

24. rightofcenter says:

Foray,
    What an idiot. Why not ban food sales on Sunday? Might as well help the “preparedness training” of everyone, not just those who drink.

25. Bill Simon says:

Foray,

Apparently, you’ve never had an impromptu party OR ever been invited to an impromptu party on Sunday, and wanted to bring something for the host to serve.

Really now, this “thinking ahead” bullshit line should have stopped 2″ out of the Governor’s mouth.

Apparently, ignorance is bliss for the Governor and people like you, Foray.

26. DougieFresh says:

B.S.

Or he has never had to cook something on Sunday that requires alcohol, like fondue. I am not a drinker, so I do not keep supplies of it around. However, on several occassions I have been caught short handed on something that I need because of inaccurate interpretations of the Bible that have no place in our law.

27. Demonbeck says:

28. bowersville says:

I’ll give you three guesses at the answer and the first two don’t count.

a) they will offer an alibi that it’s only grape juice,

b) they will be on the side rolling dice (partaking of HOPE funds)

c) the will apply the full force of the LAW, or

e) all of the above.

29. Shakin the bush boss says:

Folks such as Beck and others have “hijacked” our faith. Their actions may play to the political whims of those who want to preach to others (that they are much wiser) but the reality of this entire deal is the world (that we are trying to reach for Christ) is turned off by such attitudes.

Beck testified in committee that he was opposed to allowing the people to vote (local option) on Sunday sales because proponents would invest massive amounts of advertising to pass such local ordinances and his people “might lose”.

This really sends a great message to the unchurched. We know what you need more than you do and just to be safe, we want to keep the rules such that you can’t decide because we don’t want to lose.

Just makes a great statement for all who already look at many in our faith as hypocrites.

30. Jason Pye says:

Then you need to get educated on it, because you should be against it based on this criteria.

31. jsm says:

“If Jesus returned on a Sunday and began turning water into wine for the masses, would the Christian Coalition have him arrested for serving without a license or for not remembering the Sabbath and keeping it holy?”

This is really an easy question. All you have to do is look at Biblical accounts of what the Pharisees did.