Better book your hotel rooms now.

If you plan to attend the Georgia Republican Convention on May 18th and 19th, you may want to go ahead and book a hotel.

From the Gwinnett Daily Post:

ATLANTA – Political junkies will get a chance to watch some golf, while golf enthusiasts may indulge in a little politics.

That juxtaposition of pursuits will be possible in Gwinnett County one weekend this spring when the AT&T Classic, an annual fixture around these parts, coincides with the state Republican Convention, being held this year at the Gwinnett Center in Duluth.

“It’s going to be kind of a crazy weekend,” said Lisa Anders, spokeswoman for the Gwinnett Convention and Visitors Bureau.

About 2,000 to 2,500 delegates are expected to attend the GOP event May 18-19, said state party spokesman Marty Klein.

“It depends on how heated the chairman’s race is and who the speakers are,” he said.

The golf tournament begins earlier that week and runs through May 20.

For a list of hotels in Gwinnett click here.

1. griftdrift says:

Well, heck! You mean there was a chance I could vote! Where do I sign up? Seriously, does a guest need to be invited or does someone have to chaperone?

2. buzzbrockway says:

Unless I’m mistaken, you can simply show up and sign in as a guest (it might cost you a few bucks). They’ll give you a guest badge and when voting takes place they’ll ask you to leave the Convention floor, but other than that you could pretty much do as you please. The convention ends on Saturday so I suppose you could even purchase adult beverages. However, if I see you I might request your activities be monitored. šŸ˜‰

3. jsm says:

I’m sure Hall County will welcome those delegates that can’t find a hotel in Gwinnett. I-985 & I-85 provide easy access to the Gwinnett Arena from here.

4. Chris says:

SpaceyG: The Gwinnett Arena isn’t wifi. I had to piggy back in Cagle’s network when I was there.

I believe the convention is at the Gwinnett Civic Center – same complex, different building.

The Loafing Leprechaun has free wifi, so you can always file your reports from there over a pint of cider or Guinness.

5. SpaceyG says:

Peachtree Screed said he’ll put up any lost stragglers. He knows where all the best cardboard boxes are on Ponce too.

And yeah, Chris. My bad. It’s the Civic Center I now see. Will have to hang at the Loafing Leprechaun then.

6. Bill Simon says:

Also, “guests” are really not allowed on the “convention floor” per se. There will (or should) be a cordoned-off area that separates the “guests” from the delegate/alternate areas.

7. Bill Simon says:

Spacey,

In order to claim “Press”, you need to present some sort of Press ID credentials. Like, a business card or a letter typed-up on stationary from your “press” organization. šŸ™‚

8. Bill Simon says:

Grift,

If following RULES to make sure nobody stuffs a ballot box gets you “hot and bothered,” then, please, stay in the Demokratik Party.

9. Bill Simon says:

Spacey,

In answer to your question, I am not sure. I would think that “press” would have limited access on the floor. This is not the “National Concention.”

10. drjay says:

i know there were at least photographers on the floor last time–b/c one of them took a picture of my “gop” hat

11. SpaceyG says:

It’s not the national conception either. Actually, I’d want to bring my video cam and YouTube all the gosh-darn wackiness of it all.

12. SpaceyG says:

Gee Bill. What would I do without your rock solid advice!? Having worked in media for, oh, about 20 years now, it would never have occured to Lil ‘Ole Silly Me to do that. Not without help from a man that is! Saved again. I’m such a girl.

13. Bill Simon says:

Boy! (or, should it be Girlfriend!) You SURE are a testy little one about your knowledge of the world, aren’t you?

I was ACTUALLY kidding about the “releases”, but, there you go, bringing sexism into a conversation when your gender was the furthest from my mind.

Do me a favor, Hon’, DON’T introduce yourself to me at the Convention, if you so choose to attend it. I meet enough nuts in the world as it is.

14. Bull Moose says:

For the record, I am supporting Sue.

I think the state party needs to be turned upside down.

For too long the same people have run it and have used it as their fiefdom.

It’s not responsive to any county outside of the metro area. That’s unfortunate.

This Republican wave will not last forever.