Don’t Shout Fire in a Crowded Atlanta

A smoky haze is descending upon Atlanta, but before Sadie Fields could say “I told you so” someone else told me that there is some sort of “controlled burn” going on in Jasper County. Does anyone know about this? They must be burning down the entire county to produce this much smoke up here.

Update: Better Late Than Never

1. vindaloo says:

And burning more than trees, from the smell of it. Does it smell to anyone like something between burning oil and burning metal? The smoke was thick all the way from Decatur to Midtown, and some people said it was burning their eyes and making it hard to breath. A reporter at Fox just emailed me back with the same story though–a “controlled burn” south of town is what they are hearing.

2. Decaturguy says:

I noticed this starting at about 4:30 today. Smells horrible. Ruined what was otherwise a beautiful day.

3. If only one of our many online news sources (AJC, WSBTV, MyFoxAtlanta, 11Alive) etc would cover this.

I mean, it is a weather story for god’s sake, why isn’t it getting wall to wall coverage. Oh yeah two teenagers stole $10,000 from a bank, I forgot.

4. shep1975 says:

I thought it had to be something on fire downtown, but as I journeyed from the Capital to midtown for law school, it didn’t look like the haze was disapating. And it did smell.

5. gatormathis says:

Brian from Ellijay // Mar 1, 2007 at 12:53 am

I thought Sherman was back.

Now that’s funny right there. Good comment.

6. Demonbeck says:

You mean Atlanta is affected by things going on outside of Atlanta?

That’s definitely news! Well, it’s news to Atlanta.

7. buzzbrockway says:

I was heading down to the Fox last night to see ‘Spamalot’ and the traffic signs mentioned this. It was about 7:30 pm and there was still some smoke in the air.

8. Demonbeck says:

Wow, I am surprised that Atlanta put some signs up regarding the fact that Atlanta is affected by things going on elsewhere in the state.

I wonder who funded them.