Al Gore: Not Just a Moron

This isn’t GA politics, but since some of us were discussing “our favorite Oscar winner” earlier, I couldn’t help but post this from John Fund’s piece in today’s Opinion Journal Political Diary (WSJ).

… Then it was revealed that Mr. Gore’s sprawling mansion in Nashville was consuming 20 times the power of a typical American household, and that its consumption had actually increased since the release of the Gore film, in which the former vice president can be seen telling audiences they should curb their use of electric power.

The Tennessee Center for Policy Research obtained public records that showed Mr. Gore’s mansion in the tony Belle Meade neighborhood has been consuming a monthly average of 18,414 kilowatt-hours, nearly twice what the average American home consumes in an entire year. His electric bill averaged $1359 a month in 2006 and his gas bill was $536. His heated pool house alone consumed more natural gas than his entire main living quarters.

The comment from Al’s people, according to Fund’s piece:

Mr. Gore’s office responded with a lame statement claiming that his energy consumption was appropriate because he obtained all of it from a local “powerswitch” program that used 100% renewable fuels, whatever that means.

Gore isn’t just a crazed moron who doesn’t have a clue what he’s talking about anymore.  He can definitely add hypocrite to his bio!

1. David says:

Am I alone or can you all wait until this dolt announces for president!! What a show with he and Hillary going at each other!

2. commonsense says:

100% renewable fuels- what a bastard!

Only a real ass would say that Americans should use renewable fuels and then do it.

3. buzzbrockway says:

I just went to the “An Inconvenient Truth” website and calculated my personal carbon footprint. Apparently my footprint is only 6, less than the national average of 7.5.

Armed with that knowledge, I’m willing to sell 1.5 tons of carbon emissions to one of you limousine liberals out there.

4. Skeptical says:

Armed with Gore’s utility bills for the last two years, the Tennessee Center for Policy Research charged Monday that the gas and electric bills for the former vice president’s 20-room home and pool house devoured nearly 221,000 kilowatt-hours in 2006, more than 20 times the national average of 10,656 kilowatt-hours.

Scoffed a former Gore adviser in response: “I think what you’re seeing here is the last gasp of the global warming skeptics. They’ve completely lost the debate on the issue so now they’re just attacking their most effective opponent.”

Kreider says she’s confident that the Gores’ utility bills will decrease. “They bought an older home and they’re in the process of upgrading the home,” she said. “Unfortunately that means an increase in energy use in order to have an overall decrease in energy use down the road.”

The press release from Johnson’s group, an obscure conservative think tank founded by Johnson in 2004 when he was 24, was given splashy attention on the highly-trafficked Drudge Report Monday evening, and former Gore aides saw it as part of a piece, along with an Fox News Channel investigation from earlier this month of Gore’s use of private planes in 2000. Last year, a seemingly amateurish Youtube video mocking the “An Inconvenient Truth” turned out to have been produced by slick Republican public relations firm called DCI, which just happens to have oil giant Exxon as a client.

Go ahead and believe the right-wing hype. You always do when it involves someone who is right again and again and again (in this case, Al Gore). Sorry, I’ll believe in an in depth report from the Tooth Fairy before I believe anything from Fox News or Drudge.

5. Martin Kopp says:

Not to pick nits, but Gore isn’t an “Oscar winner”. The director of the film receives the Oscar. Gore won nothing. Just saying.

6. John Galt says:

No she didn’t!

Did Gore’s Spokesgranola really say, “Unfortunately that means an increase in energy use in order to have an overall decrease in energy use down the road.”

Is that another way of saying Gore is for the increase before he is against it?

The envirofascists need some new lines. Power lines. As far as the eye can see. Through the smog, of course.

7. Jeff Emanuel says:

Skeptical, I appreciate the effort, but I think the best bet here would be to keep the sword sheathed, hope that this blows over quickly, and look for more winnable battles to fight.

Seriously. The excuses just sound lame. Would you really accept these same responses from, say, the Bush family?

8. Skeptical says:

Jeff, no I wouldn’t accept them from the Bush family because any family that has such ties to oil probably isn’t too worried about going green.

I just wanted to point out how people jump all over the man for trying to improve an older home and bring it up to the standards he advises for everything else.

And I have to second what Martin says. Al Gore didn’t win an Oscar – Sunday night was just a tribute to him. That’s all 🙂

9. GAWire says:

No thanks, Buzz. But, I could switch to Dem, and then I’ll just tax you based on my high output versus your below standard output and factor in Al Gore’s BS as an additional tax somewhere in there. And, since you’re in the upper class and a small business owner, I’ll find some place to throw in more taxes just for hell of it. Then, Chris and I will laugh at all the rich a**holes who are paying higher bullsh&% taxes to cover for failing programs like Social Security, Medicare/Medicaid and welfare. After that, we’ll talk about stuff about which we have no education or clear knowledge, as though we are experts, scaring people with flat out BS to make them donate to non-profits that pay Al Gore beaucoup cash to be a spokesperson for and make more movies to finance that big a** mansion that overshadows Buzz’s lower energy output a hundred fold.

10. GAWire says:

>>”””someone who is right again and again and again (in this case, Al Gore).”””

I’m no linguist and I wasn’t an english major, but I just ran that line through the bullsh&# detector and my computer blew up (I’m using someone else’s in my office now).

11. John Galt, are you serious? What if you drove a Hummer to a faraway car dealer that sold a new 0 emission automobile, and after that you no longer drove the Hummer…wouldn’t that be a temporary increase in energy use (driving your low mileage Hummer to the faraway dealer) to have an overall decrease down the road?

I find it funny that so called conservatives like the Tennessee group decry class warfare unless it suits their own narrow purposes. Gore’s personal energy philosophy would be the equivalent of if you eat the extra brownie, run 10 more minutes on the treadmill, although run 10 more minutes in this case actually means buy more solar panels or purchase more clean energy credits.

To his credit Gore says he doesn’t want to make the environment and global warming into an ideological issue, but if Republicans like John Galt insist on making “more powerlines” the Republican position, I’ll accept the gift.

12. Skeptical says:

GAWire // Feb 27, 2007 at 3:56 pm

>>”””someone who is right again and again and again (in this case, Al Gore).”””

Funny, that happens every time I read anything of yours. Do you even believe your own bullshit or do you just enjoy being a complete and utter asshole?

13. Loren says:

Does Georgia Power’s use of hydroelectric plants count as a “clean, renewable source”? That makes a pretty big difference in scoring.

14. jkga says:

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” – Mahatma Gandhi

Kudos to Al Gore for advancing an important fight from stage 1 to stage 2. (Actually, most of the rest of the world has moved on to stages 3 and 4, but I guess some people like GAWire are just slow.)

15. rightofcenter says:

Skeptical,
    Asshole? Pot meet kettle.

So Gore has been right and right and right? That was before he was left and left and left. If you go back over his history, he’s been on both sides of every issue imaginable (other than his global warming “crisis”). As to the claim that he’s using 100% renewable energy – I would be surprised if he was able to do that in Nashville. You certainly couldn’t do it in Atlanta. Regardless, does using renewable energy relieve someone from trying to conserve energy? Probably in the eyes of Hollywood.

16. Calybos1 says:

It’s always amusing to see the conservative response to having their evil pointed out: “But the guys _complaining_ about it are hypocrites! See, we’re better, because we don’t even CLAIM to give a crap about the environment!”

Shoot that messenger, boys. That’ll fix the problem for sure.

17. Adam Fogle says:

David,

You make a good point, but an article in this week’s TIME magazine said Gore won’t run because of “his familiarity with the Clinton’s hardball campaign style.”

No Gore 2008… and watch out for Hillary, she’s ruthless.

18. David says:

Hey Adam, I just hope Time is wrong. Let’s put ourselves in Gore’s shoes. He lost the race in 2000 because of the backlash against his cigar-dipping, dress wiping boss. If he had only carried his home state then he would have won. That’s old news, though. I can’t imagine him just handing the nomination over to the vindictive, shrew wife of the man who cost him the election. And I don’t know really how the Clintons could really trash him even with their style of crash and burn politics. I mean, he might be a dope, but I don’t know of anything horrible they can say about him that could ruin him. Just my two-cents.

19. DMZDave says:

Come on Dems, Al Gore’s personal behavior is so obviously indefensible and hypocritical. It is not class warfare to point out that he doesn’t walk the talk and you will note that his spokesperson doesn’t dispute the numbers. He has apparently spent enough time around the Hollywood types that conspicuous consumption seems sort of normal to him. The hypocracy is that he just participated in the production of a movie that won an Academy award in which he exhorted all of us not to behave as he does. In short, he’s sort of the Reverend Haggard of the environmental movement and he’s been caught with his pants down so to speak. What is amazing is how many Dems jump on this blog to defend what is clearly indefensible behavior for someone who professes to be concerned about global warming. It is clear on a host of fronts thatAl Gore needs to exhibit a little self control.

20. Skeptical says:

I would also like to point out this nice little tidbit about the whole thing:

…But electric company spokeswoman Laurie Parker said the utility never got a request from the policy center and never provided them with any information.

– .http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17369241/

So who’s lying now?

In typical Republican fashion, when you can’t prove something and need to smear (or Swift Boat) someone, you just make shit up. Pull it right out of your lying asses…

You want so much to damn him for this thing. He purchased an older home. He’s trying to bring it up to the standards that he says we all need to live by. Perhaps you should be damning the people who built the house years ago for not having the foresight to make the house “green friendly.”

But by all means, don’t damn the policies of an administration that considers global warming to be “junk science” when every credible scientist in the world insists that it is taking place and is our greatest threat.

The only thing that I see as crystal clear is that the Republicans on this board are scared to death of Al Gore taking his rightful place as President of the United States.

21. David says:

Skeptical, I for one want Gore to run and I’m a died in the wool Repub. I don’t think we’re scared of him at all. We ARE scared of Hillary, that’s for sure. Whether or not the Repubs are lying about the electricity stats, Gore did feel compelled to respond with some gobbledygook through a spokesman about his usage. We each have our favorite candidates and you obviously like Gore. That’s fine. I just think he’s a humorous guy who we can skewer and laugh AT to the Nth degree. I do have to say I don’t feel he has a snowball’s chance of winning, I think he’ll get beaten but I’d love to see the contest play out. Let’s watch the next several months to see what happens.

22. rugby_fan says:

Ah right, this is perhaps the most vile and contemptuous act of hypocrisy America has had in the political arena in the past 10 years.

Now where does this compare with the GOP hypocrisy of the past four years?

23. Calybos1 says:

It’s ‘clearly indefensible’ as long as you don’t look at the facts.

Or as long as you get all your information from Faux News. Same thing.

24. jkga says:

I challenge DMZDave (or any of you) to name one thing that Gore recommended in An Inconvenient Truth that he hasn’t done. The whole point of the end of the movie is that through commonsense measures people can make a difference without completely up-ending their lives.

25. Keyboard Warrior says:

I agree that Al Gore is a hypocrite. But does that change the fact that global warming is real? Does it change the fact that global warming is caused by human activity? Or, does highlighting Gore’s hypocrisy just change the subject? The answers are no, no and yes.

Congratulations to those who lost the public debate on global warming. They have successfully changed the subject…for a minute.

26. rightofcenter says:

I hereby request that Skeptical be forced to change his/her moniker. He/she definitely isn’t skeptical of anything Saint Al does or says. And we’re accused of being kool-aid drinkers?

27. Skeptical says:

I choose this name because I was skeptical that I would find any conservative on this site with half an ounce of common sense.

There are a couple who qualify. The rest of you – well let’s just say y’all scare the hell out of me and leave it at that.

28. atlantaman says:

I noticed Edwards is now using Gore’s “I buy carbon credits to offset my ridiculous energy consumption” excuse. Nothing demonstrates the hypocrisy of your typical limosine more than the current “do as I say not as I do” approach to energy consumption.

This “buying carbon credits” is a bunch of crap and is the equivalent of raping a woman, then paying someone who didn’t rape a woman so you could claim you lead a rape neutral lifestyle.