Al Gore may have won an Oscar….

but he still has a lot of work to do in Atlanta:

A national environmental group ranked Atlanta 64th out of 72 cities on a new report card that considered more than 200 environmental, health and quality of life indicators.

The report card, from Earth Day Network which coordinates Earth Day activities, gave the city of Atlanta lowest scores for parks and recreational opportunities, water quality and air quality. The best score came in public health, for relatively low rates of diabetes, emphysema and cardiovascular disease.

Maybe a Melissa Etheridge concert will do the trick.

1. TM2000 says:

The city does need more parks, I think the beltline will help accomplish that. I think many localities are finally starting to get the idea, Gwinnett and Dekalb have already spent millions and now Paulding is on board.

2. GAWire says:

Are you insane?!? Have you traveled at all?!?

Atlanta is one of the most beautiful cities not only in the country, but in the world. Trust me … I’ve seen many and I am often in many different cities, and when people talk about how nice Cincinatti, Dallas and Pheonix are, I laugh and pity them.

Have you ever driven downtown or in midtown? Now I realize the early city planners didn’t do a great job of laying out the city for growth, but that’s not the point here. Atlanta is the only city that I have ever been to where you can be in a residential neighborhood with a canopy of beautiful trees and greenery and historic homes all around, and then pop out on one one of the most historic roads in the country (Peachtree St). You can’t go a block in midtown without running into a historic cathedral church or higher education school, including some of the best schools in teh country (GT and Emory), which have beautiful campuses.

The greenpeacers might say that their little radars are ticking more in Atlanta than a few other cities, but I’m calling BS on this, in addition to the thousands of scientists, geologists, anthropologists and other more qualified people calling BS on Al Gore. Give me a break.

3. GAWire says:

Also, “more parks”?!? I read somewhere (and I don’t have time to look it up now) something about how Atlanta has more private parks, national parks, preservation land and nature areas per capita than like 90% of the rest of the world (or something along those lines – bear with me). Either way, Atlanta has preserved a lot of natural development compared to most other cities.

Here’s a quiz: What is a possible name for a large group of people supporting an issue on which they are not rightly educated or qualified to speak, yet they use scare tactics and bogus (read: unscientific, untested) data to make others buy into their BS?

This is actually a trick question, b/c there are two right answers.

Yes, one of the answers could be: “Congress.”

The other: “Environmentalists”

4. Demonbeck says:

If only we could find a way to harness power from all of the hot air produced by Al Gore … Global warming would become a thing of the past.

5. formandfile says:

The parkspace is in everyone’s backyard. Atlanta has less parkspace than other cities due to its relatively low density. Personally I think we do a nice job with the parks we have, even though outside of Piedmont, alot of the city parks seem to be underutilized.

6. TM2000 says:

GAWIRE, I want to see where you are getting your information from. Atlanta has a few national parks, but out of the overall metro acreage we are still well behind, the Atlanta may have a large canopy but how much of it is truely protected and how much of it is private property?
    Travel around the Buckhead part of town around Lenox and Phipps, there is not a park for miles around. It’s all shopping centers.

7. TM2000 says:

I have traveled and seen many cities and I can tell you that Madrid Spain has more parks than Atlanta and it prettier.
    I have seen pictures and spoken to people from Denver, and they have told me that the parks there are quite aplenty, more so than here.

8. GAWire says:

Rugby, no. I am against the creation of dumba** statements, though.

TM, I’ll give you Madrid and Denver. I’ll even give you London, Paris and Vienna, and we’ll throw in Charleston for its historic beauty of the “old South”. Ok, big deal. Atlanta is still one of the prettiest. I’m not saying we’re at THE top, but we’re up there.

9. TM2000 says:

But still GAWIRE we are lagging in park acreage. We need more, and more money for parks has proven to be popular with voters nationwide.