1. DMZDave says:

Lieutenant Governor Casey Cagle was there? I thought these folks were all a bunch of unsavory Reed supporters. Guess not.

2. It will be great when conservative Republican candidates for legislature and Congress all throughout the South have to spend the entirety of 2008 explaining to their most conservative constituents and voters why and how they are backing a Mormon for President.

If you’re Mormon or whatever that’s fine with me, but a lot of the Republican base (particularly in the South) has issues with the Mormon faith. I’m surprised to see so many of the architects of the Georgia Republican rise taking this gamble.

Of course Perdue will probably be for Romney because the last thing the GOP needs is a VP (or even a nominee) who is Southern — unless it’s a Mormon from Massachusetts.

3. bowersville says:

Chris, no disrespect, but what are the problems us southern Republicans have with the Mormon faith?

I need to know so I can have a good comeback.

4. mainstream GOP says:

blazer, I hope your right..Casey doesn’t need to be endorsing anyone if he wants to run for Governor, and Johnny Isakson? He and McCain are very close friends.

I was there when McCain endorsed Cagle, and Speaker Richardson and a few State Senators were there, and I guess you wouldn’t count them as endorsements..but then again it wasnt a fundraiser for McCain.

5. Decaturguy says:

Chris,

I think the fact that he is a Morman is irrelevant and it is unseemly to use that as an issue. There is plenty of other material to use … like his flip flops on abortion, gay rights, and other issues. He was for it, before he was against it.

6. Bill Simon says:

Blazer IS correct. Lots of folks attending this event were NOT there to give money to Mitt, but to rub shoulders with the rich and connected Republicans.

It was a $1000 minimum event…Neither Casey, nor a few others I know, will be showing-up on Romney’s disclosure as having “contributed” to it.

7. debbie0040 says:

Elected officials that were in attendance should not be construed as an endorsement. At most fundraisers, comp tickets are given to elected officials. Giving comps is a smart move so the candidate can say that such and such was at my fundraiser and even have photos of these elected officials.

8. atlantaman says:

No kidding Buzz. The inference was that Dollar and Burkhalter were having a grand old time at a sports event, but from my perspective those two went way beyond and above the call of duty for having to sit through an entire Hawks game.

Maybe if we really want to tortue them we could get them to commit in advance to sitting through 20 WNBA games.

9. debbie0040 says:

Isn’t there something in the Constitution that prevents cruel and unusual punishment such as this? 🙂

Wonder if Richardson exiled them to the game as punishment for a wrong vote? 🙂

10. albert says:

Romney has no chance in this election. Simply look at his campaign for Senate against Kennedy. He’s to be commended for running, but if he, by some miracle, becomes the nominee look for big labor to be far more empowered than they have in recent years. It will not be good for the Republican slate of candidates.

11. debbie0040 says:

Don’t see how I am being hypocritical. If the choice is between Rudy, John and Mitt, my choice is Rudy. I am choosing between three moderates. There are conservatives running, but none have emerged as being serious contenders so far. If a conservative emerges as a serious contender that can win in November against Hillary Rodham-Hussein, I will support that conservative.

If the choice is Newt, Rudy, John and Mitt, my choice is a big hell yea for Newt.

12. Bill Simon says:

Debbie,

Because you’ve yammered on and on about “moderates” in the Cobb GOP just as much as Peach has. And, yet, you’re all out front supporting Rudy.

13. debbie0040 says:

I have not said anything negative about moderates. I have just said most moderates were supporting Scott. Nothing negative.

If our choice is between Rudy, John and Mitt, you have to either support a moderate or support the liberal democrat.

No other options as far as I am concerned. Mitt claims he is a conservative, but his record says something differently. Mitt is a moderate. If Newt gets in , I will support him. Or is some conservative becomes a viable candidate, I will support them.

14. mainstream GOP says:

If Romney can raise $10million a month from here on out, he can survive as a contender..but with the future of the war in Iraq so unpredictable, I seriously doubt that any candidate can rise to Giuliani and McCain’s numbers, not to mention I doubt any candidate besides those two has a prayer against Hillary, or Obama and Edwards for that matter.

15. Jeff Emanuel says:

Edwards is toast. From his unfortunate blogger hirings (and non/firings), to his 28,000-sq ft house from which he preaches about two Americas, to his lack of experience in, well, anything, he’s an also-ran and nothing more.

Oh, and speaking of his bloggers