McCain visits the Gold Dome

Senator John McCain stopped in and visited the State House Republican Caucus:

McCain played to an interested, if largely non-commital, crowd during a weekly House Republican caucus meeting this morning. Most House leaders have not announced endorsements for the 2008 presidential primary, though the campaign for former Massachusetts Governor and announced Repubublican presidential candidate Mitt Romney said Tuesday morning that Speaker Pro Tempore Mark Burkhalter will be part of his Georgia leadership team.

McCain also complained about government spending, saying the Republican Party angered its conservative base by presiding over the greatest expansion of government since the Great Society reforms of the 1960s.

“Nobody says no in Washington anymore,” said McCain, who has railed against pork-project spending at the federal level.

McCain, who represents Arizona and is on a cross-country trip to drum up support for an expected, but not formally announced, presidential run, also discussed energy policy, his position on appointing federal judges and the need for social security reform.

He fielded a question on PeachCare, which is Georgia’s version of a national health insurance program for children. That program is running short of money and state leaders are looking to Congress for additional funding.

McCain said he didn’t know there was a problem with the program.

“Drop me a note on that,” he told a state representative who brought the issue up. “I thought the program was in pretty good shape. (I’d be) glad to get on it.”

A friend who was present during the visit referred to McCain as looking like a “tired, old man” and said it’s likely he had more support before he visited the capitol then after he spoke.

1. Bull Moose says:

I think your editorial comments on McCain are an unfair characterization of a distinguished man with a record of honorable service to this country.

John McCain is our party’s best shot to retain the Presidency and move forward.

2. Bull Moose says:

I think that I will take the word of others in regards to McCain’s appearance. I’ve heard that it was upbeat and he showed a renewed intensity and commitment to straight talk and this race for the Presidency.

In fact, his tour, not only through, GA but SC as well, has generated lots of positive coverage.

As well, with the announcements in SC of Senator Phil Gramm, former Governor Frank Keating, and former Senator Mike DeWine all endorsing and supporting him, is good news for John McCain.

3. mainstream GOP says:

Bull Moose there are a lot more than just them backing McCain..add to that list.
    . John Thune
    . Lindsey Grahm
    . Trent Lott
    . Susan Collins
    . Olympia Snowe
    . Tim Pawlenty
    . Gordon Brown
    . and John Kyl
    . as well as numerous Congressmen

For a complete look at Congressional endorsements of all canidates, go here:

as far as in Georgia, Alec Pointevent will be McCain’s South- East Chair, and there is talk that Jeff Mullis may endorse McCain. There is also talk of Casey Cagle doing so as well, but I hope not..he shouldn’t make any endorsements if he is going to run for Governor.

4. mainstream GOP says:

I was there when McCain came down to endorse Cagle, there were many State Senators and State Reps in attendance and all seemed to really like McCain..I would agree, Jason, that your accounts of people’s impressions are biased..also take into consideration that here is a 70 year old man who spent all of last year working his tail of and traveling the country to make sure Republicans maintained the majority..unfourtuneatley that didn’t work, but after a year af plane hoping and then going through a long weekend of campaign events..I don’t blame him if he appeard tired, you try it.

5. blazer says:

If McCain is already looking tired in Feb… think of how “dead” he will like in 6 months,

If elected he would be the same age as Ronald Reagan when he was first elected, I’m afraid that McCain is absolutly no Reagan…

To say McCain is our great white hope is ridiculous… McCain isn’t even doing the best in the polls and with his supporting of the president’s plan in Iraq I actually expect him to drop a little more in the polls… I think a real Conservative will jump in the race and will be a real competitor to Guiliani…

btw I think you can go ahead and stick a fork in Romney cuz He IS DONE!!!

6. Jason Pye says:

I’m no fan of McCain, but the guy I got the information from was a supporter of his in 2000.

I think McCain has a lot to answer for (eg. McCain-Feingold and 2nd Amendment issues) and I think he doesn’t have much support among the grassroots.

7. mainstream GOP says:

Blazer, anyone would be a little tired after a long week of campaign events..McCain is a fighter, he has endured so much through out his life, don’t make the mistake of counting him out so soon.

Although I think he did the right thing, McCain risked an awful lot by being on the fore-front of this troop surge debate..so I think youre right that he may dip in the polls, but I am undecided between McCain and Giuliani, Im obviously leaning McCain’s way..but I think come Easter, I’ll have made up my mind one way or another.

I wouldn’t count Mitt Romney out so soon either, but it is quite apparent he will face some serious questions about his conservative creditials in the next few months.

8. mainstream GOP says:

McCain’s stance on gun control is no different than Giuliani and Romney’s..I have no problem with McCain-Feingold, but I am fuly aware many conservatives do…incase anybody was wondering, I was a Bush supporter in 2000, but I did not have an unfavorable oppinion of McCain.

9. Jason Pye says:

McCain’s stance on gun control is no different than Giuliani and Romney’s

Which is why I’m not supporting any of them.

I have no problem with McCain-Feingold

I assume that means you have a problem with the First Amendment.

10. mainstream GOP says:

Jason, that is not what I ment at all..I agree with the basic idea behind McCain-Feingold. To limit the influence of money and special interest groups in the American process.

11. Josh D Ondich says:

John Mccain is firece advocate of Amnesty for Illegal Immigrants, so no he does not get my support. I am endorsing Duncan Hunter in the GOP Presidential Race. who is not pro-amnesty, and believes in border security. Congressmen Duncan Hunter authored the border fence bill.

12. mainstream GOP says:

all I can say Josh, Is good luck with that 🙂

I don’t fully agree with McCain on Immigration either, but Giuliani’s opinion is even more in line with Amnesty, which worries me. Im not sure how Romney feels, but I would imagine it would be similar to McCain’s..although I think Hunter and Tancredo won’t get very far, I think it is good they are running because they will keep discussion alive on the issue of illegal immigration.

13. Calybos1 says:

McCain is as much a political opportunist as Hillary Clinton is. He’s reversed course so many times I’m surprised he can find his way to the front door each morning.

When I saw him sucking up to Falwell a few months back, I recognized a political animal in action.

14. debbie0040 says:

I have a major problem with McCain-Feingold. Jeff is right, first ammendment violation. Bush never should have signed it either.

I would support McCain if he is the GOP nominee, but would not vote for him in the primary.

15. Nate says:

Sen. Gramm was there. I am not a big McCain fan for a lot of the same reasons. His immigration plan was just plain wrong. I think a candidate should be judged by his ideas and character. That said, he looked old, tired and pail. He needs to do something about that.