Does Atlanta Really Need One?

A WNBA team that is. Seriously, does anyone watch the WNBA or is it still an affirmative action shield for the NBA? I don’t pay any attention to it. I think Rosie O’Donnell is perhaps the only one who does. Maybe she should subsidize it instead of the NBA doing so — at least then ticket prices to the real games might fall.

1. Adam Fogle says:

I thought the WNBA went defunct a while ago? Oh well… I don’t even watch the NBA, so I guess I wouldn’t know a thing about the WNBA.

I suppose if the venture brings some dough into the city rather than turning into a taxpayer quagmire, then why not?

2. I Am Jacks Post says:

Uhhh, the WNBA is lame. Nothing says “exciting” like a final score of 34-28. What a barnburner.

As bad as the WNBA may be, their TV numbers have always been higher than those of the NHL (which may explain why ESPN dumping the NHL, and why their games are now shown on Animal Planet, or some channel up in the 300s).

3. grabbingsand says:

I don’t know if Atlanta needs another sports team, another team to enjoy the sunshine and shadow of our extremely fair-weather fanbase.

All the same, it is a shame that organizations like the WNBA and WUSA haven’t been more successful. For basketball in particular, it would be good for women if there was a wider range of professional post-collegiate options. As it is, there are only 12 WNBA teams, less than half the number of NBA teams.

4. CobbGOPer says:

We can barely support our NBA team. YES, we do have an NBA team called the Hawks, in case some of you forgot. I know it’s easy to forget, and most of us here probably can’t name more than one or two starters.

So why not? Let’s get an utterly forgettable WNBA team in here so they can stink up the court when the Hawks aren’t.

Thank God Tech plays in the ACC, or we wouldn’t have any decent basketball to watch around here at all.

5. debbie0040 says:

If I remember correctly, there was WNBA team in Atlanta that failed a few years ago.

Atlanta has pro teams in NBA, NFL, MLB, and NHL. I don’t believe the market would support WNBA. They would be better served by going to a market that is not already saturated with pro teams.

6. Demonbeck says:

My old college roommate used to say, “There are two things that should happen in complete privacy … sex and women’s basketball.”

I’m not going to say if I agreed or not. I just wanted to throw that out there.

7. atlantaman says:

The WNBA is nice because it’s a reminder of when white guys dominated the NBA, a bunch of people endlessley passing the balls and taking set-shots.

8. Demonbeck says:

Has Billy Knight not done enough to ruin Atlanta’s enthusiasm over basketball? Now you have to bring in “the most boring game on Earth” to finish it off?

These same folks should put their energy into something useful – like getting a Hawks General Manager that actually knows what he (or she) is doing.

The Hawks lost last night to the lowly Bulls.

9. heroV says:

The group trying to get a team in Atlanta has no affiliation with the Atlanta Spirit Group, which is the group that owns the Hawks, Thrashers, and the operating rights to Philip’s Arena. This means that the group will have to pay to get the WNBA franchise as well as pay to use Philips Arena. It’s their money, so if they can pull it off, more power to them.

There may be somewhat of a market for women’s hoops in Atlanta. Many of the major powers in women’s college basketball are in the southeast, and they are well supported by their fanbases, in some cases moreso than the men’s teams (see UGA and Tennessee).