Burkhalter, Linder, Gingrey, Price, Tanenblatt, Olens, Persons, & Coverdell Support A Pro-Abortion Candidate

This is why I can’t support Mitt Romney in the GOP primary. This record. These words that he speaks in 2002. To his credit, he spoke the truth in this 2002 debate. He did nothing to change the pro-abortion laws of Massachusetts. I suspect that the Shannon O’Brien come back in this debate is going to be echoed by more and more candidates.

But I also suspected that Mitt Romney has peaked too soon and most of these issues are quickly becoming both moot and an anchor for him.

This also falls in line with the latest Gallup poll. Not a lot of people have heard of Mitt Romney, but the more they hear, the more his unfavorables rise. I suspect it is because of waffling like this. Contrast him with Rudy who is definitely to the left of Romney’s presently stated social positions. But, everyone knows where Rudy stands and the Gallup poll indicates people, including conservatives, still think highly of him.

No wonder Mitt is having to spend capital now to run ads.

And, you people who label Burkhalter, LInder, Gingrey, Price, Tanenblatt, Olens, Persons, and Nancy Coverdell as members of the extreme right should back off now. Life issues are not sacred cows for them in this primary — apparently.

1. ConservativeCaucus says:

It is disappointing that there are no “Yes!” candidates at this point. Romney has what it takes in terms of his delivery and persona, but which Romney would we elect – 1994 Romney or the one who wants to be president?

Guiliani – fiscal conservative, good leader, inspiring – but out of touch with the base of the party on major issues

McCain – been loyal to the President (bad timing for the general public) and the military. Seems to be going out of his way to court the social conservatives… but his past stands on taxes and free speech are going to hurt him

Gingrich (if he runs) – brilliant mind, checkered personal life, media has painted him out to be a jerk – does not seem electable

Brownback – conservative credentials, but can a uninspiring man take on Hillary or Obama?

Huckabee – I find it hard to believe that the media wouldn’t tear up a former Baptist minister with a history of raising taxes.

Hunter, Tancredo, and anyone else – not likely.

Perhaps Hagel can get in the race as an independent and completely ruin it for the Republican party.

Ugh… this looks like a “hold your nose and pick one” election to me. I hope that I am wrong.

2. mainstream GOP says:

WATCH THIS VIDEO PEOPLE, I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET MY FRIENDS TO WATCH THIS FOR WEEKS NOW..FRIENDS THAT SUPPORT ROMNEY..IT WILL CHANGE YOUR OPPINION OF HIM FOR SURE!

3. buzzbrockway says:

There are still single-issue Republican voters out there, but not as many as in the past IMHO.

For me, every GOP candidate has good points and bad. No matter what candidate I decide to support, I will disagree with him on some major issue – either policy wise or personal.

4. memberg says:

Pro-choice does not equal pro-abortion.

I’d bet that almost any pro-choicer is dismayed when a woman chooses to have an abortion.

Pro-life, on the other hand, is a misnomer. Why not just say “anti-abortion?” So-called pro-lifers, aren’t per se 100% for life/living in all cases. Isn’t there a large segment of people who are anti-abortion AND pro-death penalty (and/or pro-stem cells)?

5. debbie0040 says:

I am pro life but I am not a one issue person. In choosing whom to support, I make a list of issues and see who I agree with the most.

As the field stands now, I would probably be inclined to support Rudy. He believes that issues such as abortion and marriage should be left up to the states to decide, not the court system. I believe the same way.

I hope Newt or some strong conservative enters the race. Someone that can win in November. Doesn’t do any good to nominate someone if they can not win in November. I believe Newt could overcome his negatives with his great ideas and vision.

6. SpaceyG says:

I know this sounds cold and callous, and it’s really not meant to be, it’s more just plain honesty… I can’t say I’ve ever stayed awake at night agonizing over any other woman’s decision to have an abortion. I have, however, often tossed and turned over some folks’ decisions to bring children into this world when they clearly can hardly even tie their own shoelaces without screwing even that up.

7. commonsense says:

“And, you people who label Burkhalter, LInder, Gingrey, Price, …as members of the extreme right should back off now. ”

Erik I’ll go with their voting records, so let’s go ahead and keep that “extreme” label.

8. ConservativeCaucus says:

memberg,

As a pro-life conservative who is for the death penalty, let me explain how I see the difference.

In my view, the act of abortion is the taking of an innocent life and should therefore not be condoned in society. However, the death penalty is reserved for the most heinous of crimes, almost always for someone who has taken the life of another person. Their right to live, in essence, is forfeited when they end someone else’s life. Many people say that the death penalty is also a deterrent to crime. Although that is a secondary argument, I would not feel comfortable with that being the only reason for the death penalty.

I submit two ideas –

1. How a society treats its most vulnerable (in both the very young and the very old or disabled) says more about that society than most anything else.

2. It is morally bankrupt to dole out a lesser punishment for murder than it is financial fraud. The reason I bring this up is because this is becoming more and more common within our legal system. When one human takes the life of another, the damage has been done and is final.

Ultimately, the real question regarding abortion/embryonic stem cell research is when does life begin. I recognize that good and decent people have disagreements on this. It is easy for the pro-life crowd to deem anyone who permits abortion to be an accomplice in murder and the pro-choice crowd to believe that those who want to restrict abortion are a bunch of nuts who have nothing better to do than invade the privacy of a woman’s body.

Perhaps the name pro-innocent-life would be more true… it just doesn’t have the same ring to it.

9. Donkey Kong says:

I would strongly consider supporting Bill Richardson if his views on Iraq were more hawkish. Regardless, like Erick, I’ve rescinded my support for Mitt for many of the same reasons he rescinded.

I’ve jumped on the Newt bandwagon, but I’m on the bandwagon garbageman style–it wouldn’t take much for me to jump off.

10. CHelf says:

Abortion may not be their sacred cow but what of gay rights, gay marriage, gun control, and state sponsored healthcare?

I’ve recently spoken with two people who worked on Romney’s campaign staff for the Senate race and his gubernatorial race. Both are scratching their heads and quietly asking what happened to Mitt? No one up there is openly decrying his flopping because they still see him as holding the same values as he always has. But many are asking why he postured and positioned so far to the right. And when his closest allies begin wondering that, you know something is odd.

11. Bull Moose says:

I cannot and will not support Mitt Romney. I don’t think that he is going to be able to emerge from the first few primaries to make it a real race for the Presidency.

I am not sure why so many Georgians are jumping on his bandwagon, but I don’t think he’s going to matriculate into being a serious candidate. He’s generating way too much press than he deserves!

I think the real leaders making a run on the Republican side are John McCain and Rudy Guiliani. If he has enough money to get his message out, Huckabee would seem to be a more viable and consistent candidate for those on the right.

Romney has just flip flopped too much on the issues to be taken serious.

12. Bill Simon says:

ConservativeCaucus,

BUT, again, do not let logic and rational thought dare enter your field of vision on this issue.

13. atlantaman says:

The irony is if you care about abortion, one way or another, a President’s personal opinion on the matter is irrelevant. Don’t lose sight of the fact that it’s really about what kind of Supreme Court Justices the President would appoint.

Guliani, who is quite good friends with the likes of Scalia and Alito, has already stated he would appoint Justices similar to them. I believe Guliani on the issue since he’s generally a sincere guy (not flip flopping all over the place), he’s a former US Attorney and has also spoken philosophically about his originalist beliefs.

14. joe says:

Bill,

“Prattle about this all you want, but the fact is, an “unborn person” is the same thing as a “non-existent person”, and, therefore, your argument about the fetus being equal to, say, an “innocent child of 5 years old” is invalid.”

This is not the issue that was decided by Roe v. Wade, and in fact, we have never actually had a national discussion to determine the issue.

While I respect your opinion, it is only your opinion. Perhaps you should have included “IMHO”.

IMHO

15. mainstream GOP says:

Conservative Caucus, I would have to say at the moment, I am undecided between Giuliani and McCain

16. Bull Moose says:

I think that McCain is my first choice, Giuliani is my second choice, and Newt would have to be my third choice. After that, I guess Huckabee, just in terms of practical experience. Huckabee would make a great VP. But so would Pawlenty.

One thing for sure, I think you can count on a President McCain to appoint strong conservative Justices to the bench.

All I know is I would love an administration that included former Senator Phil Gramm. I was the GA Gramm youth chairman back in 96.

17. mainstream GOP says:

I would totally agree with your 1.2.and 3. favorites Bull Moose; as for VP though..wow, that’s a long ways away..but we certainly have endless outstanding options.

Yes, I am pro-life, and I have no question McCain would appoint the right people to the bench..he is even more pro-life than me in that he supported the measure in S. Dakota. It failed, and I would have also voted against it if I lived there because of no provisons for victims of rape, incest, and life of the mother. But they were certainly on the right track, we need to let state’s decide.

18. Jeff Emanuel says:

I’d disagree, Memberg — this just doesn’t strike me as a “dismay” t-shirt (marketed, of course, by Planned Parenthood).

19. Jeff Emanuel says:

Personally, while a social- and fiscal-con, I’m a security/GWOT voter. That’s my number 1, 2, 3, ……, 98, 99, 100, etc. issue. I can deal with less than perfect on social issues.

What I can’t deal with is an opportunistic tune-changer, regardless what party he or she comes from.

20. I Am Jacks Post says:

Interesting that those who lambaste Romney for flip-flopping are at the same time breathless in their support of McCain, who–it should be noted–now feels that Roe vs. Wade should be overturned. It wasn’t more than a couple of years ago that he was bold in his view that it ought not be overturned.

I could go on and on–Falwell, global warming, opposing tax cuts while claiming the mantel of Ronald Reagan, etc. Or I could talk about the fact that the guy running McCain’s campaign was helping the DSCC last cycle.

I like McCain. Love the fact that he exposed Reed, Inc. But don’t say Romney is the only one whose beliefs have, uh, “evolved.”

21. Josh D Ondich says:

I can’t support Mitt Romney, I can’t believe Linder, Price etc. support a candidate that has a adimatlly pro-choice record serving public office. They should be supporting the candidate I am who is a pro-life his name is Congressmen Duncan Hunter of 52nd congressional district of California. http://www.gohunter08.com

22. ConservativeCaucus says:

Bill,

I was merely answering memberg’s question about how someone could be “pro-life” and still support the death penalty. I was not intending to engage in discussions on when life begins… just explaining how the two views are compatible.

23. I Am Jacks Post says:

Huckabee The Conservative. Riiiight.

As Governor of Arkansas, Huckabee:
    -Raised sales taxes 37 percent, fuel taxes 16 percent, and cigarettes taxes 103 percent,
    -Rec’d an F from Cato on its fiscal report card for 2006
    -Increased the number of state government workers by 20% percent.
    -Increased state spending 65.3 percent from 1996 to 2004.

24. atlantaman says:

Jeff-

I think what would be a funny T-Shirt is, “I’m really happy my mom didn’t have an abortion.”

25. mainstream GOP says:

I am Jacks Post, I am a member of the Club for Growth, so I have read all about Mike Huckabee’s tax increases, I found that very interesting.

I also agree with you that more candidates than just Romney have “evolved” philisophically..McCain in 2000 pointed out that if we overturn Roe v. Wade tomorrow, there will be many back ally abortions. That is a very valid point, but I think he understands that allowing states to decide is more important, he is just cognizant of what the implications would be. Romney, on the other hand has gone from one end of an issue to the other and it is frankly a little alarming, he will have some explaining to do. I think McCain’s courting Fallwell is a mistake, and I hope he too soon realizes that.

However, Im glad he has become more aware and concerned about global warming and Im glad he now realizes the President’s tax cuts were a good thing..but you have to give him credit, on social issues for the most part he has stood firm.

26. memberg says:

Jeff, they left off: And all I got was this lousy t-shirt.

But seriously, I’m sure that t-shirt is meant to convey that the wearer is a real, normal American, and not just some slut who got knocked up.

Anyway, that shirt only proves my point. Think about it…what percent of pro-choicers have actually had an abortion? My guess is somewhere far less than 1%.

Don’t throw the baby out with the bathwater.

27. Jimbo says:

John McCain would be my last choice in the GOP Primary. He tries too hard to get along with Democrats and wants the press to like him. I would vote for him before I would vote Democrat.

If Newt or some other strong conservative does not get in , unfortunately, I would have to choose the lesser of the evils. That would be Rudy. At least Rudy can beat Hillary.

28. Decaturguy says:

What is really unbelievable is that the guy not only ran as pro-choice in 2002, but said he opposed a 24 hour waiting period, and distanced himself from receiving the endorsement of pro life groups in that campaign. And now he tries o run as a pro-lifer, religious conservative?

29. Bill Simon says:

Joe, and Conservative,

I understand to both points…my apologies for trying to start an argument. I must have entered the wrong room (a’ la Monty Python). 🙂

30. MountainThinker says:

I think it’s a significant point that Huckabee had to deal with being the 10 1/2 year governor with a state legislator DOMINATED by democrats. Furthermore, the tax increases you mentioned were not fiat declarations from on high, but were approved by the voters of the state by public referendum by a 3-1 margin as part of an obscenely necessary infrastructure rebuilding plan from years of horrid neglect during the preceding Clinton administaration. Gov. Perdue also raised taxes on cigarettes and alcohol as one of his first acts in office to end a crippling financial crisis here in our great state. Likewise, Reagan was responsible for an enormous dedicated revenue tax program as Gov. of California, here again to establish and/or repair California’s Infrastructure. I am a huge FairTax and smaller gov’t advocate, but I do not believe in crucifying all sources and means of taxation. No form of taxation could me more fair than a consumption based system of taxes utilized as dedicated revenue measures that are put to a popular vote of all those affected by it to approve or disapprove. What more could you as a citizen ask for??? HONESTLY! The people of Arkansas essentially re-elected the man twice in a state that DOES NOT like Republicans, because of his fiscal management and mainstream Conservative approach. Pro-gun (and always has been), Pro-life (and always has been), Conservationist minded (like I wish more Republicans would stand up for as a factor of stewardship which we are called to), and healthcare conscious (free-market based!). Plus his resume reads like a list of “how I fixed what the Clintons’ broke & neglected”…

31. I Am Jacks Post says:

I disagree, Mountain.

Huckabee implemented three sales tax increases, and expanded the sales tax to tons of state services, and he added an income tax surcharge, and increased gasoline taxes, diesel taxes, and cigarette and tobacco taxes.

Futhermore, just because “Sonny Did,” it doesn’t make it right.