Whitehead’s the Man To Beat

Well, the field of maybes is shrinking dramatically.

Both Barry Fleming and Max Burns are on the Jim Whitehead bandwagon.

No disrespect meant for Senator Hudgens, but he ran several times for the seat only to lose and now conventional wisdom is already growing rapidly that Jim Whitehead will be the man to beat. We’ll see if Senator Hudgens can undo the conventional wisdom and prove he really has the cards in his hands.

1. GAApplesnOranges says:

This race will come down to Hudgens and Whitehead. Forget the fact that there is a heavy concentration of GOP voters in Columbia County, Whitehead is the favored because he’ll embrace a moderate position whereas Hudgens simply cannot let go of his hard right social conservative positions. The electorate just won’t tolerate him. Remember, Hudges lost to Don Johnson, the only state senator to vote against a resolution asking Congress to outlaw burning a flag. Hudgens is making a huge mistake.

2. Cotton Boll says:

I am glad Ralph Hudgens is running. Charlie Norwood always appreciated farming and rural economies and I know from experience that Ralph Hudgens is the same way. He would make a great Congressman.

3. classiccity07 says:

I wouldn’t be so quick to rule Sen. Hudgens out. He consistently runs strong in his district and his conservative voting record appeals to the base. GA-10 is a big district and there are a lot of voters outside of Columbia county.

Sen. Whitehead is a true statesman, however, this race is far from decided.

4. drjay says:

With Mr. Whitehead resigning from the Senate, two area officials have announced interest in filling the open slot. Columbia County Associate Magistrate Judge and private attorney Bobby Christine and former state Rep. Bill Jackson, also a member of the state Board of Corrections, have said they are considering running.

this was in yesterdays augusta paper–just fyi.

5. Cotton Boll says:

jmac: Is that because Ralph Hudgens is too conservative for your desires for Georgia’s Republican Party?

6. Adam Fogle says:

My sources say that Jim Whitehead is going to win this without a runoff. I think it’s too early to say that, seeing as Gov. Perdue has yet to issue the writ of election, but Jim is a great guy and has by far the strongest base of anyone running.

This race will be interesting and could get ugly, but it’s looking as if the Republican contenders (Sen. Hudgens notwithstanding) will step aside and support Jim.

7. Jmac says:

Cotton Boll: Well, I’m a Democrat, so the majority of Republicans running for that seat wouldn’t line up with my ideological views, but Ralph Hudgens definitely doesn’t.

But my problem with Hudgens is much more than that. In theory, I could see myself supporting – or at least being content with – a Republican who understands the local issues that affect all the different communities in the district (for instance, I think Doc Elderidge could so something like this, and I don’t know much about Whitehead so I’ve got to reserve judgement). Hudgens doesn’t do that.

I’m a big local community kinda guy. I live in Athens-Clarke County, and we’re a little more progressive with our politics than the rest of the state. The folks just across the border in Oconee County or Madison County are a little more conservative, and I respect that. Good folks, but they just see issues a little differently than I do.

And that’s one of the reasons we have these communities, and I don’t believe Hudgens respects that. I think he looks at the political landscape in Athens-Clarke County, a place where he doesn’t even live, and hates it. Nothing about his voting record or his redistricting efforts or his responses to the citizens of Athens-Clarke County have done anything to sway my mind of that (and that isn’t true of all Republican representatives from this area … Brian Kemp worked with us on some things, as has Bill Cowsert in the early going).

8. Mad Dog says:

In my humble opinion, the dirty little backroom deals are delaying Perdue’s writ.

Perdue and the GOP will decide in back room deals who will get the seat. The voters in the District be damned.

Expect the GOP to weed out the field before Perdue gives a writ.

9. bowersville says:

Why should the R’s step aside (except Hudgens)?

Are you concerned Dooley will run as a Democrat or Independent and force a runoff?

10. JayHanley says:

Dooley is out. According to the AP, “Putting to bed further speculation, former University of Georgia football coach and athletic director Vince Dooley said he has not been contaced by either party about the race.”

“I haven’t been and I doubt very seriously if I would react positively,” said Dooley, who once flirted with running for U.S. Senate and other high office after his retirement from football. “I had at one time thought seriously about that, but I have long dismissed it all.”

Doc Eldridge, former Mayor of Athens is still “very carefully” considering” the race telling the AP, “Former Athens Mayor Doc Eldridge said Monday that he is “very carefully” considering the race.

He told the AP, “I’m still making phone calls and talking to people in the district to gauge how much support there might be for a candidate outside the Augusta area,” Eldridge said.

Eldridge was a Democrat when he served as mayor but said that if he enters the race, it will be as a Republican.

“Local Athens politics, if you wanted to get elected, the election was the Democratic primary,” he said.

The article also reports that former state Sen. Carol Jackson said over the weekend that she would not be a candidate.

Link to the full article here: http://www.accessnorthga.com/news/ap_newfullstory.asp?ID=87842

11. Bill Arp says:

Do any of the Democratic hopefuls have a shot in the nonpartisian election? If Jackson is out who is on the ticket? I am sure the National party will put some money in the race if it is a marginal seat….does anyone know the R/D performance or the racial breakdown?

12. JayHanley says:

According to the Secretary of State’s office,
    “[t]he election is considered to be non-partisan because there is no primary. However, party affiliation must be disclosed by each candidate upon qualification. [O.C.G.A. 21-2-540(c)(2)(e)]

The ballot will list each candidate’s name alphabetically along with their party affiliation. [O.C.G.A. 2-21-285 (e)].”

Regarding the R and D performance, the only test is the 2006 election. Norwood defeated Holley 67.4% to 32.6% and carried 20 of 21 counties. Clarke was the only county Holley won. FYI: The counties in the district are as follows: Banks, Clarke, Columbia, Elbert, Franklin, Greene, Habersham, Hart, Jackson, Lincoln, Madison, McDuffie, Morgan, Oconee, Oglethorpe, Putnam, Rabun, Richmond (part), Stephens, Towns and Wilkes.

13. serving egos says:

I recant my earlier prediction about a Democrat being able to sneak in through the back door…with Carol Jackson out, the fool’s hope that a Democrat could possibly win is now no hope at all.

Someone give Denise Majette, Cynthia McKinney, or Don Johnson a call; at least they would make it interesting.

14. Pundit says:

Jmac – “I think he looks at the political landscape in Athens-Clarke County, a place where he doesn’t even live, and hates it.” Don’t make assumptions about a mans inner-thoughts. I doubt you and Sen. Hudgens have a great personal relationship.

15. Jmac says:

Well, I’ve never actually met Sen. Hudgens, so there’s that.

I can concede that Hudgens might not ‘hate’ Athens-Clarke County and that I was perhaps being too verbose, but, as I noted, it’s hard to dispute that he has little regard for the electoral wishes of a community which ideologically differs from him.

16. MrBigTom says:

Eldridge has got the support

Folks don’t know how well liked Doc is in Augusta. He has powerful friends in both parties and could likely raise a bucket of money. This guy practices transparent politics and I think he would be hard to beat.

17. MrBigTom says:

Eldridge has the support

Don’t be surprised to see lots of money and good will coming from Augusta. He has deep roots there.