Jewish Group Demands Apology From Rep. Ben Bridges (R-Cleveland) For Anti-Semitic Memo

February 16, 2007 9:36 am

by Decaturguy · 14 comments

The Anti-Defamation League has demanded an apology from State Rep. Ben Bridges (R-Cleveland) for that memo he circulated which blamed evolution on an ancient Jewish sect.

From the Jacksonville (FL) Times Union:

The Anti-Defamation League sent a letter to state Rep. Ben Bridges Thursday chastising him for penning the “highly offensive” memo, which attributes the Big Bang theory to writings in the Kabbalah, a Jewish text.

Bridges has denied writing the dispatch, although one of his closest political allies, Marshall Hall, said the legislator gave him the approval to draft the memo.

The memo asks readers to challenge the “evolution monopoly in the schools” by logging onto Hall’s anti-evolution Web site, http://www.fixedearth.com.

“Your memo conjures up repugnant images of Judaism used for thousands of years to smear the Jewish people as cult-like and manipulative,” wrote Bill Nigut, the league’s Southeast regional director.

But Bridges remains unrepentant:

Hall, a 76-year-old former high school teacher whose wife ran Bridges’ election campaign, said that neither the site or the memo is anti-Semitic. “I think they tar people with that brush a little too readily,” he said.

Is State Rep. Ben Bridges the Republican version of Billy McKinney?

And even if www.fixedearth.com is not anti-Semitic, should a state legislator really be getting his information from a group that claims that the earth is not moving?

Chris February 16, 2007 at 9:46 am

Is there an actual copy of this memo around, or is all this based off second hand reports?

I’m thinking there are endless parody possibilities here.

All hail the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Decaturguy February 16, 2007 at 9:55 am

I tried to find a copy on the ADL website but it is not there.

DougieFresh February 16, 2007 at 10:42 am

On Boortz today, Royal commented that the Jewish people also came up with the creation view as well.

In any event, I am convinced. That year I spent studying astro-physics was a waste of time. All hail our new flat earth creationist masters.

Decaturguy February 16, 2007 at 12:52 pm

Maybe Steve Davis wants to chime in and defend his collegue. He seems to share the same “world is flat” viewpoints.

SpaceyG February 16, 2007 at 2:04 pm

He would if he could, but his and Bridges’ combined brain-wave activity is so ludicrously flat it’s way beyond resucitation.

Mad Dog February 16, 2007 at 2:30 pm

Lucky for Ben, the US Senate has viewed a video tape of Ben. That video tape clearly shows his eyes moving and following people around the room. He even tries to smile.

Dr. Frist says in his professional medical opinion, Ben’s brain could recover…

rightofcenter February 16, 2007 at 5:18 pm

Just to be fair to Rep. Bridges, he wasn’t the one being unrepentent, it was the guy who wrote the memo and runs that webpage. Of course, his wife is Bridges’ campaign manager, which is scary enough.

I suggest everyone fix a nice cocktail and go to the fixedearth.com webpage for some humorous reading. Who knew?

Rick Day February 16, 2007 at 6:05 pm

I was about to send in that link to the tip line about this story.

Glad to see you guys get on this so quick.

People like Brown prove me right every day in my mockery and disgust of christians and their faith-based politics.

Rick Day February 16, 2007 at 6:06 pm

ack! URL spew.

sorry.

DougieFresh February 16, 2007 at 6:46 pm

Rick, you spewed more than that URL. Replace Christians with Blacks or any other group, and I am sure you would find it distasteful.

I cannot be described as a religious person, but it disgusts me when ignorant hate filled people like yourself spout your nonsense.

atlantaman February 16, 2007 at 7:14 pm

My kids hate me, my wife thinks I’m a failure and my dog pees on my leg eveyday – I’m quite certain the Jews are behind all of it.

godsgift February 17, 2007 at 11:03 pm

religious nutcases HATE science.why ,cause science makes people think and ask questions.look at history. at the height of christian power in europe we had the dark ages. muslim used to have great minds than islam took over,which is why they live 300 years in the past. state after state when some religious nut get in charge of education,they attack science. the fact that people stillthink that the earth is the center of the universe shows how stupid some people are,

shep1975 February 18, 2007 at 9:06 pm

I consider myself a religious nutcase and I think the world is round, revolves around the sun, and is nothing more than an egg layed by a giant turtle 10,000 years ago. Hey, I only said said I was a religous nutcase…I never said it wasn’t my own religion! Boy, we just better hope we’re not around when the egg hatches!

Mad Dog February 18, 2007 at 10:28 pm

Shep?

Brother to Curly, Moe, and Larry?

Is the yolk on us?

Comments on this entry are closed.