Jewish Group Demands Apology From Rep. Ben Bridges (R-Cleveland) For Anti-Semitic Memo

The Anti-Defamation League has demanded an apology from State Rep. Ben Bridges (R-Cleveland) for that memo he circulated which blamed evolution on an ancient Jewish sect.

From the Jacksonville (FL) Times Union:

The Anti-Defamation League sent a letter to state Rep. Ben Bridges Thursday chastising him for penning the “highly offensive” memo, which attributes the Big Bang theory to writings in the Kabbalah, a Jewish text.

Bridges has denied writing the dispatch, although one of his closest political allies, Marshall Hall, said the legislator gave him the approval to draft the memo.

The memo asks readers to challenge the “evolution monopoly in the schools” by logging onto Hall’s anti-evolution Web site,

“Your memo conjures up repugnant images of Judaism used for thousands of years to smear the Jewish people as cult-like and manipulative,” wrote Bill Nigut, the league’s Southeast regional director.

But Bridges remains unrepentant:

Hall, a 76-year-old former high school teacher whose wife ran Bridges’ election campaign, said that neither the site or the memo is anti-Semitic. “I think they tar people with that brush a little too readily,” he said.

Is State Rep. Ben Bridges the Republican version of Billy McKinney?

And even if is not anti-Semitic, should a state legislator really be getting his information from a group that claims that the earth is not moving?

1. DougieFresh says:

On Boortz today, Royal commented that the Jewish people also came up with the creation view as well.

In any event, I am convinced. That year I spent studying astro-physics was a waste of time. All hail our new flat earth creationist masters.

2. Decaturguy says:

Maybe Steve Davis wants to chime in and defend his collegue. He seems to share the same “world is flat” viewpoints.

3. Mad Dog says:

Lucky for Ben, the US Senate has viewed a video tape of Ben. That video tape clearly shows his eyes moving and following people around the room. He even tries to smile.

Dr. Frist says in his professional medical opinion, Ben’s brain could recover…

4. rightofcenter says:

Just to be fair to Rep. Bridges, he wasn’t the one being unrepentent, it was the guy who wrote the memo and runs that webpage. Of course, his wife is Bridges’ campaign manager, which is scary enough.

I suggest everyone fix a nice cocktail and go to the webpage for some humorous reading. Who knew?

5. DougieFresh says:

Rick, you spewed more than that URL. Replace Christians with Blacks or any other group, and I am sure you would find it distasteful.

I cannot be described as a religious person, but it disgusts me when ignorant hate filled people like yourself spout your nonsense.

6. atlantaman says:

My kids hate me, my wife thinks I’m a failure and my dog pees on my leg eveyday – I’m quite certain the Jews are behind all of it.

7. godsgift says:

religious nutcases HATE science.why ,cause science makes people think and ask questions.look at history. at the height of christian power in europe we had the dark ages. muslim used to have great minds than islam took over,which is why they live 300 years in the past. state after state when some religious nut get in charge of education,they attack science. the fact that people stillthink that the earth is the center of the universe shows how stupid some people are,

8. shep1975 says:

I consider myself a religious nutcase and I think the world is round, revolves around the sun, and is nothing more than an egg layed by a giant turtle 10,000 years ago. Hey, I only said said I was a religous nutcase…I never said it wasn’t my own religion! Boy, we just better hope we’re not around when the egg hatches!