House Moves On Sunday. Sadie Not Happy

The House is moving forward with Sunday alcohol sales. The AP says “social conservatives” aren’t happy. I’m a social conservative. I’m happy.

Frustrated by the Senate’s reluctance to consider a measure that would allow Sunday sales of alcohol in Georgia, House lawmakers launched their own effort Thursday to legalize selling booze on the Sabbath.

Similar to Senate proposals, the measure would allow communities to decide for themselves whether to allow beer, wine and liquor sales on Sunday. It also would only legalize the sales after noon on Sundays – when church services traditionally end. The sales would be allowed to continue until 7 p.m.

“We felt like it was time to get something started in the House,” said state Rep. Roger Williams, a Republican from Dalton and the bill’s sponsor. “So far the Senate has held it up.”

Social conservatives have lined up against the plans, saying they would sully the Sabbath.

Sadie Fields, director of the Georgia Christian Alliance, said the measure threatens to turn Sunday “into just another day.”

1. Jmac says:

I’m glad to see someone get this thing started. I was worried we wouldn’t even see any legislation proposed.

I don’t get the argument that Sunday will become ‘just another day’ if we pass legislation that merely grants the ability for communities to decide whether or not they wish to OK alcohol sales on Sunday.

2. Jas says:

If Sadie is worried about Sunday turning into “just another day” (which it actually is for jews) then why not let her folks lobby to close all businesses on Sunday, including church bookstores and coffee shops that so many mega churches operate?

3. waterboy says:

Jmac –
    Were you really “worried we wouldn’t even see any legislation proposed?” Really???? You worry about crap like this?

4. CobbGOPer says:

I still don’t get the whole time restriction bit. If you can buy booze any other day of the week at any time of the day, and we decide to allow Sunday sales, why put time restrictions in place? Especially when you can still go into a restaurant before noon and after 7pm and buy alcohol.

But I’m all in favor of making Sunday just another day, in the same way we need to make April 15 just another day.

5. John Galt says:

Ironically, probably 100% of those opposed to letting local communities decide for themselves the issue of Sunday alcohol sales support allowing the states to decide for themselves abortion laws.

The one virtue conservatives should be able to have over liberals is an adherence to logical thinking. Sadie Fields wants local control when it matches her agenda. That is not American.

To quote Voltaire, “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”

6. stephaniemills21 says:

CobbGOPer,

You cannot buy alcohol in restaurants before noon on sunday. There is no time limit in the evenings, but you cannot before noon. (at least in atlanta)

7. jsm says:

It is amazing to me that anyone would think it is government’s responsibility to ensure that Sunday is not “just another day.” That’s a personal matter for each person.

I’m a Christian, and Sunday IS a special day to me. I think Sadie ought to be lobbying churches to promote treating Sunday as a special day, because many professing Christians I know don’t even do that. Perhaps we should start there.

8. Decaturguy says:

You worry about crap like this?

Yes, Waterboy,I indeed do worry about a powerful big government that wants to take away rights and freedoms in the name of religion.

9. Rep. Ed Lindsey says:

I thought you might be interested in a conversation I had with a friend and fellow legislator earlier this session.

He informed me rather solemnly that his mamma had scolded him not to vote to allow alcohol purchases on Sunday and he intended to do what him mamma had told him.

I told him that I intended to also do what my mother had told me to do on this issue. My beloved mother told me that given what else people can do legally in Atlanta on Sunday, letting her buy a bottle of wine at Publix should be no big deal.

Needless to say, I support Rep. Williams bill — and my momma.

We’ll see what happens.

10. I consider myself somewhat of a social conservative. I’m sure that many social conservatives disagree with the views of Sadie Fields.

I know this may come as a shock to Sadie Fields, but some people don’t agree. First of all, most Christians don’t see anything wrong with buying alcohol on Sundays. Second, those who aren’t Christian do not need to be told what they should do on Sundays. Also, certain Christians don’t need to tell other Christians how to respect the Sabbath. These laws are ridiculous and need to be kicked to the curb.

Any lawmaker who votes against this needs to have their head examined. If a certain product is illegal to buy Monday through Saturday, why shouldn’t it be legal to buy on Sundays? It’s time to tell these theocrat’s to back off.

As for the legislator mentioned in representative Lindsey’s comment, you were elected to make decisions. Make your own decision don’t just blindly do as your mother told you. It’s a rather sketchy justification for a vote.

11. waterboy says:

Decaturguy –
    “I indeed do worry about a powerful big government that wants to take away rights and freedoms in the name of religion. ”

That just shows how pathetic you are. Go worry about something that really matters. This doesn’t.

12. Rep. Ed Lindsey says:

nomorespin2005:

The point of my story is not whether someone is or is not doing what his mother told him. The point is that each of us in the legislature have constituenccies that we have to go home and answer to. My district in Atlanta very much wants this choice and expects me to reflect the norms of my district in my vote.

Other legislators come from very different areas than Buckhead and they too must consider the norms of their areas in their vote.

Traditionally, alcohol related issues have always been very politically tricky in the South. Over forty years ago my grandfather represented a very different area in the legislature from where I now live. He represented Wilcox County in rural Middle Georgia south of Macon. He voted to allow Atlanta to have liquor by the drink. He paid for that vote in the next election and was returned home to his farm.

I support Rep. Williams’ effort for many of the reasons expressed in this blog regarding personal liberty and giving local voters the right to choose. However, I also am respectful of the pull that many of my fellow legislators have from their constituents back home.

For me and my neighbors it is a no brainer. For other House members it will be a very difficult and courageous vote. Those of us who support this measure must understand that as we lobby for it.

13. Decaturguy says:

Waterboy,

You just dont get it. This is not about drinking. This is about freedom and personal liberty and getting the Church out of our business.

14. waterboy says:

Decaturguy –

Oh yes…I get it alright. You are nuts if you don’t think this is about drinking. Making you wear a seatbelt is a real violation of your personal freedom, not this. Don’t forget to buckle up!

15. SpaceyG says:

Hey, it’s getting on Happy Hour time. Lemme ring-up Sadie Fields, and her evil twin Laura Mallory, if they aren’t too busy mending their hoop skirts by the fire that is, and see if they’d like to join me at the Rusty Nail. First one to get there has to order a round of shooters. (Jeez… Happy Hour is sooooo 80’s.)

Bottoms up, Ladies!

16. SpaceyG says:

Rep Lindsey… “Courageous” vote? Don’t make me snort too much; I might spill my Grey Gooze cosmo.

“Barkeep… another round of that countrya*s hokey hooey stuff over here! It makes us city gals laugh our designer purse and Manolos well-toned butts off!”

Some folks obviously should never have left the farm in the first place.

17. Decaturguy says:

Waterboy,

Find a better example. Whether you agree with them or not, seat belt law do have a legitimate public purpose – they save lives in automobile accidents. There is no question about that.

What legitimate public purpose does banning the retail sale of alcohol on Sundays have other than the promotion of religion? Particularly in light of the fact that sales are allowed every other day of the week and are allowed in restaurants on Sundays?

That is the difference.

18. rugby_fan says:

waterboy, here is an excellent example as to why you should take Decaturguy’s qualms seriously.

Imagine Mayor Ellis decides to ban all pork sales in Macon because of his religious beliefs. Suppose as well, that a majority of Macon was made up of Muslims too. Is this a good justification for the government of Macon to ban pork sales?

Or imagine if Mayor Bloomberg said, I find it highly objectionable for any non Kosher foods to be sold in New York City on Saturdays because it goes against Judaic practices. Is this a good justification?

One more example just to hammer home the point. Kathleen Sebelius in Kansas says, you know what, no one should be allowed to work on Holy Days of Obligation as my faith tells me I shouldn’t do so. No one is allowed to work in Kansas on those days. Is that a good justification?

19. Decaturguy says:

Maybe if you banned alcohol completely, every day of the week, in both retail sales and by the drink, because alcohol destroys lives, creates traffic accidents, etc., maybe you would have a legitimate purpose for the ban, like you have seat belt laws or helmet laws. However, banning the retail sale only on one day of the week serves no real legitimate purpose. That is the problem I have with it. It has nothing to do with drinking.

20. Harry says:

Let’s not defile the Lord’s day of rest with more and more self-destructive behavior. Say no to the booze industry lobbyists.

21. mainstream GOP says:

Reed worshiping Saddie can stick it where the sun don’t shine.

If a poll was taken, I’d say over 70% of Georgian’s would agree that we should allow Sunday sales of beer and alchohol..Im a Christian, Im a Catholic, we love to drink and have a family get together on Sunday’s.

No true Conservative would support continuing this Blue Law, true conservitives are for free markets with very limited government intervention, that is where we differ from Democrats..we know that the market works best when left touched at a minumum by the government..to continue to prohibit the slaes of alchohol on Sunday’s is to continue to allow the state Governmnet to prevent millions of dollars to be spent inside Georgia and is an obstacle for economic growth.

This state is not a theorocracy, some people just need to understand that…if you don’t like alchohol, don’t drink..but leave the rest of us who know how to have fun alone!

22. waterboy says:

Y’all are all lost in your examples because the Blue Laws are not CREATING a prohibition of purchase, but further relaxing or abolishing a current law. Yes, seatbelts save lives. So what? I need a law to save my own life? How are Sunday beer sales going to save a life? If you want a public referendum on the matter – and every matter – then feel free to move. California needs just a few more freaks. For Georgia to be so backward thinking, it sure is filling up with jobs, economic growth, and people pretty fast. What we need are billboards on all the roads that say “Welcome to Georgia! No alcohol or Chick-fil-a sandwiches can be sold here on Sunday, so bear that in mind before you decide to relocate here!” That should really drive folks away.

Oh, don’t forget to get you a chicken sandwich and a six pack today – tomorrow you are SOL!

23. rugby_fan says:

Waterboy;

If Blue Laws are not prohibiting a purchase of alcohol, I guess they only allow for a prevention of purchase?

Or, is it that alcohol really is allowed to be sold in stores on Sunday, we just don’t know it?

24. waterboy says:

Rugby –

Blue laws are ALREADY ESTABLISHED. They are not new. That’s the point. The lame scenarios others tried to paint are apples vs. oranges.

25. rugby_fan says:

No, that was not the point.

I am pointing out why these laws are a problem.

Suppose slavery were still allowed. I guess that means it would be a problem to abolish slavery.

I must repeat myself as you never answered my question above.