A Republican tax increase

State Rep. Vance Smith, a Republican, has introduced what very well could be the largest tax increase in Georgia history.

HB 442 would impose a statewide one cent sales tax that would be dedicated to transportation projects. Voters would have to approve the tax at the ballot box.

1. Big Mack says:

I hope that those of you who live in Rep. Smith’s district will be out early this evening finding an opponent for him for the 08 primary.

2. Skeptical says:

Oh no! Paying taxes for infrastructure! No!!!! Why God Why?????

Seriously, ever heard of paying your fair share? And if you don’t want to pay for roads or schools or other public things, don’t use them.

3. Jason Pye says:

We already pay taxes for roads.

I wouldn’t want to expose my child to torture, I would never send them to a public school.

Seriously, ever heard of paying your fair share?
    Thank you, Karl Marx.

4. Jason Pye says:

Jeff pretty much gave my answer. At least in a private system, I have choice…which is what I support. Unlike Democrats and liberals, who seems to only believe in choice when it’s about abortion.

5. Bill Simon says:

Frankly, while I may think Smith’s idea is repugnant, I do NOT think it is repugnant to put it on the ballot and allow people to vote for or against it.

I mean, you know, if the GOP trusted the people to vote on the gay marriage amendment, surely they can trust the people to vote sensibly on whether or not to tax themselves.

6. rugby_fan says:

So the only mark of a quality education is the choice of where you are educated?

An interesting philosophy indeed.

Now, perhaps one of you would care to enlighten me on this but, I was under the impression that Georgia law didn’t forbid anyone from attending certain schools any more. Am I correct in saying this or are there restrictions on where parents can send their children to school?

7. hankreardan says:

Rugby Fan
    The restriction come into play when it comes to money. You can go where you want but the state continues to taxes you even if you dont use thier service and send your kids to private schools I could live we not charging property taxes if you provide for your childs education.( which is the way it needs to be)

8. rugby_fan says:

How could you do that and abolish the IRS? Do you honestly believe that would simplify any part of the tax code?

Moreover (and more to the point), should the government step in and make it easier for people who can’t afford quality services to access said services, or provide them with the choice of access? (I am thinking of one big issue here, let’s see if you can guess it).

Does anyone other than myself see a real blurring of public and private sector industries if we start letting the government come in and pay, erm, provide the choice, for people to use private sector services as opposed to public ones?

9. hankreardan says:

Rugby
    I think you are barking up the wrong tree when it come to me. I believe the government should provide very little service to none.I would prefer everything to be private sector.I not even a big fan of the voucher system for schools.If the private can supply it then let them.

10. rugby_fan says:

I will say this, you at least are a consistent and dedicated libertarian.

Just as an aside, my main problem with libertarianism, as opposed to liberalism and conservatism, is that there seems to be a general feeling that; society be damned as long as it brings less government (something which, I believe, Bastiat proves repeatedly).

11. rugby_fan says:

The Social Contract that says we are all in society together and we all work together to avoid the “State of Nature” as would be the consequence of no government.

You know, kind of what our founding fathers had in mind for America.

Please do not interpret this as some sort of quasi-Marxist statement (which it is not), just a critique of libertarianism.

12. rugby_fan says:

At the top of the comment box, it will say “Logged in as hankrearden” as the case will be with you.

Click something there, and you should be able to edit your profile.

13. Jason Pye says:

Rugby,

My feeling is that if the private sector can provide it, then government shouldn’t be involved in it.

That is my feeling as a capitalist, I may be a member of the Libertarian Party, but I don’t consider myself libertarian per se.

14. godsgift says:

you have a choice dont you. you can choose not to send your kid to a public school or not,you can choose to send them to a private school if you want. no one is forcing you to send them to a public school are they.in fact you can get off you fat ass an home school your kid if you want.you have all the choices in the world. i bet if you look at the countries that have better education systems than we do you want find a private education system anywhere. why ,cause they dont want to leave education up to nuts,who believe in creation vs evolution.

if you want to cut down on cost.next time some idiot wants to pass a law about prayer in school,think how much money it will cost .(by the way name ONE time anyone was denied the right to pray in school never has happened.they just want to force everyone else to pray with them.)

15. Demonbeck says:

While I don’t have a problem with a statewide SPLOST for Transportation, I do have a problem with this phrase (which I have seen in several places already):

Would you support or oppose legislation creating a statewide vote on a constitutional amendment to provide for [b]a temporary, ten-year one cent sales tax that would address transportation concerns in Metro Atlanta [/b] coupled with completion and improvement of all road projects in other areas of the state of Georgia?

16. Demonbeck says:

Sorry, my attempts to bold apparently were futile.

Would you support or oppose legislation creating “a temporary, ten-year one cent sales tax that would address transportation concerns in Metro Atlanta?”

Oh and those other guys too – if there’s money left over, I guess.