Charlie Norwood has died

U.S. Rep. Charlie Norwood passed away Tuesday morning at his Augusta home. Norwood returned from Washington, DC last week after an extensive battle with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) and non-small cell lung cancer. He was 65. We will all miss him so very much.

Norwood received a single lung transplant in 2004 as treatment for IPF, and developed non-small cell lung cancer in 2005.

Norwood represented the Augusta-to-Athens 10th congressional district since 1995, and was re-elected in November 2006 by a landslide margin.

Funeral arrangements are being handled by Thomas Poteet and Son Funeral Directors in Martinez. A schedule of public services will be announced by the 10th Congressional District office as soon as details are finalized.

Note by Jeff: Adam, Buzz, and I all hit the front here within thirty seconds of each other. In the interest of focusing our attention in one direction, Buzz and I pulled our posts, and would just like to use this opportunity to offer our condolences to Mr. Norwood’s family. May they have strength in this trying time.

Update 4:00pm Below the break are updates, including statements and messages from Members of Congress.

UPDATES
U.S. Rep. Nathan Deal (R-GA) spoke a little while ago on Rep. Norwood’s death:

“Charlie was a great member of this body and a friend to all,” Rep. Nathan Deal said on the House floor. Deal, a Republican and close friend of Norwood, represents a district that borders Norwood’s.

U.S. Congressman Jack Kingston (R-GA) has also released a statement:

I was saddened to hear of Charlie’s passing today. Charlie was a fighter both in politics and health; an ordinary man would have thrown in the towel long ago. Charlie and I have been friends and colleagues since he came to Congress in 1995. Besides being a great representative, Charlie was an incredible man who served his country in Vietnam where he won two Bronze Stars. When he came home, he opened his dental practice where he helped hundreds of patients. He brought concern for people to Congress where he fought for patient rights, veterans and small businesses. Congress and the State of Georgia have lost a good man today. My thoughts and prayers are with Gloria and their family.

From GOP U.S. Rep. Phil Gingrey’s blog:

Friends,

It is with great sadness I share the news that 10th District Congressman Charlie Norwood passed away this morning at his home in Augusta. Charlie had been battling idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) and non-small cell lung cancer. Those of us fortunate enough to call Charlie a friend will remember his no-nonsense approach, his humor and fellowship, and his commitment to his family and faith.

I ask that you keep the Norwood family in your thoughts and prayers as our nation mourns a great leader and a tremendous man.

Sincerely, Phil

Former U.S. Congressman Bob Barr also has a statement up on his blog:

U.S. Representative Charlie Norwood of Georgia passed away this afternoon. Charlie was an outstanding Congressman — strongly and consistently conservative, loyal, honest and with a great sense of humor. Not only will all of us fortunate enough to call him friend and colleague miss him deeply, but his principled voice and actions will be sorely missed by all Americans who he represented so ably in the Congress.

From Senator Johnny Isakson:

Charlie will be remembered for many things. His tenacity, his great sense of humor, his commitment to his district and to his constituents. But from a political standpoint and from a service standpoint he will be remembered for Norwood-Dingell, the legislation that laid the groundwork for reforms in health care that continue to this day.

I am so thankful for the contributions Charlie made to our state, to me as an individual and to this Congress. It is with great sorrow that Dianne and I mourn the loss of this phenomenal man. Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife Gloria, their family and his countless friends and supporters.

From Congressman Lynn Westmoreland’s site:

“The people of Georgia’s 10th Congressional District and the state as a whole lost one of their greatest champions today. Charlie Norwood has served the people his entire life. He served his nation as a soldier in Vietnam, he served Augusta, Ga., as a dentist but also as a dedicated father to his children and husband to his loving wife Gloria. Since 1995, he has ably – some would say tenaciously – represented the people of east Georgia, but his service and his wisdom has benefited us all.

“To me, he’s not just a great Georgian and a great American, he’s a great friend. He’s served as a mentor to me and to many others in this House. Charlie was my foxhole buddy. When Charlie said he was with you, you knew you would have someone at your back till the end. His loyalty and grit defined him.

“All of Georgia mourns our loss. We will miss him and we will honor his memory by continuing the good works he started.

“Today, our thoughts and prayers are with Gloria and the entire Norwood family.”

The Georgia delegation will offer a resolution honoring Norwood that will be considered by the House this week. Westmoreland will attend the Norwood funeral in Augusta on Thursday.

The Associated Press has compiled a list of comments from others including Gov. Sonny Perdue, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Sen. Saxby Chambliss, and most of the Georgia House delegation.

Further coverage:
Highlights of Rep. Norwood’s life
Charlie Norwood’s biography
WRDW-TV Augusta
AJC
AP/MSNBC
The Augusta Chronicle
Athens Banner-Herald/AP
Congressional Quarterly
WXIA-TV Atlanta
AHN
Atlanta Business Chronicle
UPI

1. Skeptical says:

May his soul rest in peace. I am happy that he is no longer suffering in pain. My thoughts are with his family at the most difficult of times. Even though they knew this was coming, it never takes away the pain of losing a loved one. My condolences to them.

2. CHelf says:

Our thoughts are with his family, campaign, and Congressional office. Charlie was an outstanding Georgian and we will miss him.

3. Chuck Eaton says:

I had the opportunity to campaign with him a few times in 2006 and enjoyed it very much. He gave more dynamic and enthusiastic speeches with one lung than many of us could give with two lungs.

4. serving egos says:

Congressman Norwood definitely served Georgia well and he will be missed.

We may have been on opposite ends of the political spectrum, but I have no doubt that Norwood put the interests of his constituents, his state, and his country first.

5. jsm says:

So glad I got to meet him last fall. I’m sorry there’ll be no more chances to learn from him up close. His work will go on making our lives better.

6. emily says:

Political affiliation aside, I admired him a great deal. I have and will continue to pray for his family and friends. He is no longer in pain and for that I am grateful. He served the state well.

7. Jmac says:

As a Democrat, Augusta native and current Athens resident, I disagreed with the man on more things than not. But he was a good and honorable man who dedicated his life to public service and to serving his constituents to the best of his ability. We all should be so lucky to have lived such a full and rewarding life.

Our thoughts and prayers are with his family.

8. shep1975 says:

As I said before, I credit Charlie with giving me my start in politics back in 1994. Below is the “Official Statement.”

The sad news today regarding the passing of Congressman Charlie Norwood gives us the chance to pause and reflect on the great life of this humble servant.

Charlie Norwood was the first candidate I volunteered for when, in 1994, he was trying to win a seat in Congress and I was just a freshman at the University of Georgia. The lessons I learned in that campaign are ones that I still carry with me today.

His service, first as a dentist, then as a legislator, showed his passion for the wellbeing of the people around him. He was a man who stood on principle and belief with an unwavering commitment to the values and issues he held dear. Even during his last hours in Congress, he did not give up on his dream of a better healthcare system for all Americans.

Even if we were to forget the bills he worked on and fought for, we will never forget the life he led. Charlie never grasped for the spotlight, but through quiet determination, he persuaded those to share the dreams and visions he had.

As Young Republicans, we thank Gloria Norwood and the entire family for sharing Charlie with us for this short time. I pray that our Heavenly Father will bless and strengthen the Norwood family through this time of sorrow.

God bless you,

Jason Shepherd
    Chairman, GFYRC

9. Philly says:

He will be greatly missed. He was a great conservative icon .

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family now. Charlie is in a better place.

10. MountainThinker says:

Where can we get details on the schedule for services/funeral proceedings for those of us wishing to pay our respects?

11. Jeff Emanuel says:

MT:

12. RuralDem says:

My prayers are with Congressman Norwood’s family. It’s times like these when we need to look past the political aspect, and simply pay tribute and respect to an honorable public servant.

13. Bull Moose says:

My prayers are with the Norwood family and staff, both current and former. Charlie Norwood was a good man who changed Congress more so than it ever changed him.

14. mainstream GOP says:

that was a very good reflection of the Congressman Bull Moose, he changed Washington more than it ever changed him..how true and how admirable that is.

15. Demonbeck says:

I have had a hard time describing Congressman Norwood to folks who never had the opportunity to meet him, but I found this quote from him to be quite fitting…

“That slender thread of life by which we were tied to Paul Coverdell is now broken. But the wisdom, the generosity, the civility, the patriotism and the dedication that he brought to this Congress will never die. [We should preserve his legacy] by picking up the fallen banner of Paul Coverdell and carrying it through to victory.”

A soldier, a healer and a public servant, Dr. Norwood never let Washington take the Georgia out of him. He was kind, humble and carried his passion for Georgia values proudly. That is how I will always remember him.

For such a good person to be asked to fight not one, but two horrific diseases like cancer and pulmonary fibrosis is a terrible burden.

I can imagine that while his family mourns his loss, they take solace in the fact that they were able to say goodbye to him while he was still alive. I am sure all of us agree that he is without pain and in a better place right now.