Braves sold, fans hosed.

The sale of the Braves to Liberty Media has been finalized, pending approval by MLB and the big losers in this scenario are Braves fans. Does Liberty Media care anymore about the success of the team than Time/Warner? Of course not. This deal is all about Time/Warner reclaiming more of their stock and Liberty Media getting a tax break. Boo Hiss!

More here and here.

1. Trackboy1 says:

Marcus Giles and Adam LaRoche would still be Braves if not for such scumbag, soulless corporate ownership. Pro sport franchises that win are locally owned. Period.

2. bowersville says:

If you are a Braves fan, you hose yourself. Nobody cares except a hosed fan, and that’s your fault.

Besides, what’s the matter with a tax write off and increasing the value of stock options?

3. buzzbrockway says:

Great, I get hosed by Liberty Media, then I get hosed by the PP posters. In my moment of intense emotional need, you guys are here to kick me while I’m down. Where’s a compassionate conservative when you need one? 😉

Actually, this is another argument for the Fair Tax. If Liberty Media could make decisions based solely on the business sense of the deal they would never have even thought about buying the Braves.

Down with corporate taxes, up with the Fair Tax!

4. Buzz, that’s human nature. Kick a man when he’s down. I’m with you on the fair tax. My wife is starting a business. When we think we’ve gotten through all the bureaucratic doors another door opens.

Unless there is a groundswell of support I don’t see it happening. It makes too much sense and government can’t have that. Besides it would demolish a whole industry.

5. Know Nothing says:

C’mon, let’s just be honest with ourselves. Liberty Media couldn’t be worse than Time Warner. Our payroll can’t get much worse.

6. CobbGOPer says:

I’ve just come to the conclusion over the years that baseball just bores the crap out of me. I’ve stopped going to games. I’d rather go to a football game, a basketball game, and especially a hockey game before ever going to another baseball game. Go Thrashers!

7. jsm says:

I’ve just about given up on all professional sports. All I ever hear about them anymore is overpaid players whining or acting like thugs.

The Braves haven’t been exciting since the strike, and I think fans are tired of paying the big price to sit in a stadium that is less comfortable than Fulton County stadium to watch a team that Bobby Cox can’t coach through the playoffs.

Frankly, I’d rather watch college sports or the Gladiators than any of our top tier professional teams. I don’t care who owns the Braves.

8. Decaturguy says:

Wow! Kind of sounds like corporate CEO’s doesn’t it?

9. jsm says:

I guess the difference would be that ticket sales don’t affect CEOs’ livelihoods and kids don’t have life sized posters of Kenneth Lay on their bedroom walls.

10. Know Nothing says:

Michael C, if you remember correctly, the Marlins had one of the highest payrolls the seasons they won the World Series, but couldn’t afford to keep that payroll and dumped their players. The next seasons they ended up in last place or close to it.