Saxby To President: I’m Not Your Bitch Anymore

Saxby Chambliss has voted against the President’s pick to be Army Chief of Staff. This will set up a floor fight over General Casey.

U.S. Sen. Saxby Chambliss, a Republican who faces his first re-election test in 21 months, exhibited frustration with the Iraq war Tuesday by casting one of three committee votes against General George Casey, President Bush’s nomination as Army chief of staff.

He joined two other Republicans, John McCain of Arizona and John Ensign of Nevada.

1. Bill Simon says:

Saxby’s still going to have a tough row to hoe in 2008 in defending all of the time for the last 4 years he HAS been Bush’s bitch. One little vote against Bush out of countless video interviews and countless votes in favor of Bush’s route down the road isn’t going to save Saxby’s rear-end.

2. Tommy_a2b says:

Bill, you have to remember how short the public’s memory is. It is funny to see how an elected official acts when they have to get re-elected. My question would be, if he is re-elected whose bitch will he be then?

3. Jace Walden says:

Tommy,

If it’s a Republican who wins in 2008, then he’ll be that guy’s bitch. If not, then he’ll be the Senate MINORITY leader’s bitch.

By the way, he’s still Bush’s bitch. One disagreement is nothing more than a lover’s quarrel.

4. Calybos1 says:

Chambliss still has his shameful vote on the minimum-wage bill to live down. I doubt that one minor act of independent thought will salvage his career.

5. Calybos1 says:

Nope. Ten legislators voted to block cloture and try to delay raising the wage:

Sen. Richard Burr (R-NC)
    Sen. Saxby Chambliss (R-GA)
    Sen. Tom Coburn (R-OK)
    Sen. Jim DeMint (R-SC)
    Sen. John Ensign (R-NV)
    Sen. Judd Gregg (R-NH)
    Sen. James Inhofe (R-OK)
    Sen. Johnny Isakson (R-GA)
    Sen. Jon Kyl (R-AZ)
    Sen. David Vitter (R-LA)

Georgia has the unique dishonor of being the only state whose senators BOTH jumped into the dumpster on this one.

6. Bull Moose says:

I like Saxby. He’s a good guy. He does a good job as a Senator.

Unfortunatel, he’s vulnerable because of Iraq and the level of Democratic distaste for him.

It will be interesting to see if Democrats can take advantage of that.

7. Jace Walden says:

I like Saxby. He’s a good guy. He does a good job as a Senator.

Of course you would say something like that, Bull.

He’s vulnerable because he’s a Bush Administration boot-licker and has accomplished nothing as Senator.

8. rugby_fan says:

No, Jace, he has accomplished, erm, uh…hm…Oh, I know! He has achieved exactly what the rest of the GAGOP has achieved–an unparalleled adroitness of being able to sit on their backsides!

9. Mike Hauncho says:

I hear everyone counting him out in ’08 but for this to happen someone has to beat him. Who do the Dems have that can top him, and dont say Vernon Jones.

10. Mad Dog says:

Mike,

I’m sure the Dems can find an idiot to make it a two way race.

I meant that as sarcasm. Maybe I should have said two idiot race?

I think GOPpeach tops him. 😉 (and that I meant in bdsm terms)

11. Bull Moose says:

It all depends on if Dems can find someone to run. I’d think Thurbert would be strong. Lewis Massey could come out of retirement. I even think Roy Barnes would have a shot.

12. Bill Simon says:

Nah, nah, nah…you guys aren’t thinking. I predict it will be Jim Marshall on the Dem side to challenge Saxby.

Why? Because it will take an outside-Atlanta candidate to attract the votes in South Georgia to switch from Saxby to Jim Marshall. And, from what I understand, Marshall does act more like a conservative Democrat than a liberal one.

So, that is the person whom I believe will be challenging Saxby…