Pro-Life display stolen at Tech.

From a press release by the Georgia Tech College Republicans:

Beginning Monday, GTCR set up a “Cemetery of the Innocent” display on
Skiles Lawn in recognition of the 34th anniversary of the Roe v. Wade decision legalizing abortion. The display consisted of 48 white cross grave markers–one to represent each of the one million unborn babies killed by abortion since 1973–as well as several signs explaining their significance. The display was to run Monday-Wednesday on Skiles Lawn in the middle of campus.

On Tuesday, January 30, the entire display was stolen and all the crosses and signs are still missing. After informing the appropriate campus departments and administrators of the situation, GTCR Campus Activism Director David Hotle filed an official police report and the Georgia Tech Police Department is investigating the incident.

“The theft of GTCR’s Pro-Life display is clearly an attack on free speech and expression by an intolerant individual or group,” said Hotle, who coordinated this project. “Abortion is a controversial issue, but rather than engage in debate and dialogue, someone chose to steal our display and deprive other students of the opportunity to see and experience the display’s message.”

Read the entire press release here.

1. Rusty says:

Or it could have just been the maintenance staff. Most of the time a student group complains about stolen signs/displays, what actually happened was a janitor saw something set up in a place where school regulations said it couldn’t be and threw it away.

2. DougieFresh says:

I am not much a fan of the abortion “debate”, but this type of thing should be expected from the various leftist organizations on campus. To be shocked that the signs disappeared is silly.

One wonders if there are any survailance camera’s on that part of campus.

3. DougieFresh says:

Rusty,

That is a good point as well. I had facilities remove things they should not have touched while I was a student there as well. However, I assumed that the CR’s checked that angle first. (Of course this is the CR’s).

4. Skeptical says:

Well, at least their little display was the only thing taken. It’s not like someone was picketing and screaming in the pro-life groups face while walking into a building or shooting at doctors or blowing up clinics…

I’m sure those “leftist organizations” will esculate to that sort of behavior next. Wherever did they learn it???

5. JRM2016 says:

One Cross for each Million so 48 Crosses.

Skeptical, ahh how I have missed the ludicrous straw man logical fallacy on peach pundit. Rather than talk about the theft of a peaceful political display, I will complain about violent extremists who have nothing to do with the present controversy.

6. Rick Day says:

LOL @ little cross planting Bible thumpettes whining about ‘free speech’.

Judging from the pedestrian traffic at Tech Square, I’d say more than a minority is non-christian at Tech.

I lol again at their whines!

7. buzzbrockway says:

Rick,

Put down the reefer for a few minutes and read the press release. This was a political statement by the College Republicans. Believe it or not, there are non-Christians who oppose abortion.

8. memberg says:

I just read through the Georgia Tech student handbook: “All displays on campus property that suggest that females exist and are willing to engage in sexual activities are hereby prohibited.”

9. GTdem says:

Here’s my favorite part of the press release:

“Abortion is a controversial issue, but rather than engage in debate and dialogue, someone chose to steal our display …”

When I walked by the display Monday afternoon, no one was there to debate with. I’m guessing they left it unsupervised in the hopes that someone would steal it so they could get some attention.

10. ColinATL says:

Georgia Tech College Republicans trying to get attention? No. I don’t believe it. They’re such a mild-mannered lot. 🙂

I wonder when they’re going to sue the Institute for not protecting their morbid display. They already sued for not being allowed to receive student activity fees (political groups can’t get it). And they are also suing because of Tech’s innocuous SafeSpace program to help gay kids.

You know those Republicans, always suing to get their way…

11. CobbGOPer says:

“You know those Republicans, always suing to get their way…”

To quote Skeptical from earlier: “Wherever did they learn it???” It certainly seems we could blame Algore for that…

12. Doorknob says:

Colin,

Regarding the activity fee issue, I was in the Undergraduate House when the funding issue came up. I brought it up myself after seeing the GT Pride Alliance engage in expressly political activity during the fall of 2004 and yet they continued to receive a a student activity budget when they straddled the definitions of being a cultural and a political group on campus. One can receive activity fee money and one can’t.

Now if one really wanted to funnel money to particular political groups or causes on the campus, this is how I would do it:
    1) Charter a few cultural groups that would be in line with a particular ideology and have their leadership as active members, but not officers, in whichever partisan group on campus
    2) Get them all budgeted separately, itemizing with lines for events to “promote awareness” of this particular group’s interest.
    3) Coordinate between the leadership of the partisan politcal group and the newly chartered cultural group on how to best “promote interest” to serve the political function.

13. DougieFresh says:

Door, Why do organization demand activity fee money anyway? If one’s members are not devoted enough to the club to pay dues, perhaps clubs have no business being chartered.

It would also eliminate the “I don’t want my money spent on [insert hated group here]” argument.