Good For Them

I think this Jekyll Island issue is a good one. I’ve actually never been there (or anywhere along Georgia’s coast), but I hear that Jekyll is rather dingy compared to some of the other places up an down the coast.

A measure introduced in the House would create a six-member legislative committee to review all proposed leases on Jekyll, a 7.5-mile barrier island which is required by law to remain 65 percent untouched. It also would extend the Jekyll Island Authority’s oversight of the property by 99 years, which members of the group say is crucial to negotiating long-term deals with hotels.

Georgia needs a good resort-ish beach spot. This should work well.

1. If by ‘dingy’ you mean you do not have to be a multi millionaire to buy a house there then I agree.

This is GA, however, & what rich developers want, rich developers generally get. So I’m sure that Jeckyll will be just like St. Simons in no time.

2. Demonbeck says:

Erick, you can’t afford anything on the coast. Chik-fil-a doesn’t pay its Swedish Chefs all that well.

3. mercergirl says:

I love St. Simons- and it actually is quite affordable. Candler you might be thinking of Sea Island (there is a huge difference). I have being going to St. Simons ever since I was two, and while prices have gone up they are nothing compared to Sea Island. But I agree we do need more of a resort area other than the Cloister.

Has anyone ever been to Barnsley Gardens near Rome? That is where I had my wedding and it is fantastic, there is a lot of Georgia history there and if there would be a way to restore something like the Jekyll Island Club to something similar to Barnsley I think that would be a good way to go.

4. john.d says:

I think I should comment on this…

Currently, the rates of leases have not been updated for decades. The amounts paid are far below market value and are subsidized by the tax payers. Currently, residents of GA can not benefit from the island because the revenues from these below market value leases do not give the JIA the resources to create amenities to exploit the resources of the island.

No one is trying to turn the island into St. Simons. There is only 180 acres left to develop. I don’t think anyone wants to increase the limit from 35%. Any development that occurs will be reusing un-used facilities. The current intent is to make the island an educational center for the state to use. Yes, there will probably be expensive hotels – but there are lots of middle class people who can use and will want to use these hotels. There will also be / is already RV and primitive camping to cover the most base of people (This is actually my preferred way to enjoy the island, much to the disdain of my girlfriends).

The fact is, Jekyll does need this bill. For the JIA to acquire the capital it needs to conserve the island, it needs an extension on the lease. (I have draft copies of both the development and conservation plans, both of which are very impressive. They look like one of the most comprehensive attempts to preserve the natural aspects of the island while making it accessible, nothing more, to people.) The scenario we are hoping for is redevelopment without cutting down a single tree, and its possible.

Jekyll will not turn into St. Simons by virtue of the fact that you can not develop more than has already been developed. All that will happen is a restoration of the island to a usable state. The historic district has been worked on and can be viewed as a Proof of Concept. However, many other facilities are dated and have not been maintained very well.

This is coming from a flaming liberal environmentalist. (I’m really not, but most would categorize me as such).

I invite you to come to the open hearing on this bill next Wednesday in room 406 at the Coverdell Legislative Office Building at 2:00pm.

5. TM2000 says:

It’s time for more Georgia counties to get on the conservation bandwagon. SPLOST projects for land buys are a popular thing with American voters and the states of Florida and Colorado have had several very successful programs. Sonny Perdue has mentioned this in his second inaugural speech, Paulding and Cobb county voters recently passed some funds, DeKalb voters have twice passed funds, and Gwinnett voters have as well. It’s important to approach this issue with an open mind, it may mean higher taxes for a temporary period, but the benefits of it will affect many generations to come.

6. GAWire says:

Erick, you gotta get out more … you not a real Georgian until you have a vacation home on the coast. Of course, ours’ is on SC coast, so what does that make me!?!

7. Bull Moose says:

Jeckyll Island needs attention and an effort to bring in private investment in the betterment of the public interests is worth the time and investment on behalf of the folks of this state.