1. Jmac says:

The Democrats, self-proclaimed champions of the downtrodden, appear to be gearing up to oppose this bill.

Ah, the beauty of partisan politics … where legitimate ideological concerns automatically trigger the other side to foolishly ridicule and villify them rather than, you know, actually discuss the concerns.

2. Calybos1 says:

Opposition seems entirely reasonable; public funds should not be given to private schools.

There’s more than one way to champion the downtrodden–and funneling taxpayers’ money to private schools doesn’t have to be it.

3. Jmac says:

rivate schools do the same job and they do it with around a third of the cost.

Well, yes and no … there are a lot of factors at work here. In some schools, the tuition is considerably higher than what we spend per pupil, and in other cases it’s lower. Some private schools don’t offer the same courses, services or resources for special-needs children (as one example) that public schools are required to do.

It, quite often, isn’t the same job.

4. Jason Pye says:

I’ve seen the average cost per child ballparked at $12,000 to $16,000. I don’t know of many private schools that charge that much.

The government forcefully taxes them, they ought to have some choice in the matter.

5. Jmac says:

Jason, you appear to presenting two different arguments … one is ideological and one is grounded in economics. Your ideological one I can do little to combat since, frankly, we line up on different sides of the political aisle.

The economic one, however, I can address. I’ve seen the number per pupil put more around $9,000 per year in Georgia, and I’ve seen that number used at this blog more than once. I’ve never seen anything like the $12,000 to $16,000 you’ve put up there in any study or report.

The costs of private schools widely vary. There are several private Christian schools in the Athens-Clarke County area that charge less than $5,000 for tuition. However, Athens Academy charges $9,000 and up. From what I’ve seen, schools in the Atlanta area that are similar to Athens Academy’s socioeconomic breakdown (say a Greater Atlanta Christian or Wesleyan) have comparable tuition costs.

My point in discussing whether or not certain schools offer certain programs (such as ones for special needs children) is to underline how much of a cost this factors into public education. Public education has to offer these services, and these services – and the teachers and resources required to do so – add cost to the per pupil figure.

Private schools which offer limited or no services – particularly ones with mandated smaller student bodies – come across as less expensive.

You have a sincere ideological belief that parents need to have more school choice, and and that’s a legitimate position to take. But basing an economic argument structured around a comparison between public schools which are required to offer more broad services, thus impacting their per pupil cost, with private schools which don’t have to do so makes for an unfair and skewed sample.

6. Jason Pye says:

There are good private schools that charge around $3,000 to $5,000 here on the Southside.

The large figure I gave was a national number, not one from the state.

7. bowersville says:

SB 10 has passed the Senate and it’s moved over to the House. There is no excuse for any Republican to oppose this bill coming to a House floor vote.

What’s the matter with the money following the student like HOPE?

8. rugby_fan says:

Jason; judging from this comment “Parents should be allowed to send their children to any school they want, private or not…special needs or not.” it appears that Georgia now restricts where parents can send their children to school. Is this the case?

9. Demonbeck says:

Democrats want inner city children to remain reliant upon the government so that they’ll remain Democrats. If the issue at hand were providing the best education for our state’s children, then they would wholeheartedly support vouchers.

Listen, if public schools did a better job than private schools then there would be no need for private schools. If private schools cannot handle the needs of a child properly then parents will take their children and voucher money elsewhere.

Don’t act like this opposition has anything to do with the best wishes of the children. Our legislators should put the needs of the kids of our state over those of partisan politics. Shame on these folks for sticking their heads in the sand and thinking that our current school system is working.

10. rugby_fan says:

I disagree Demonbeck.

There would still be a desire for private schools because some families would want their children getting a religious education.

11. Demonbeck says:

Geez, why don’t we nitpick a bit, rugby.

You are correct, aside from religious reasons, though, there would be no need for private schools if public schools educated on the same level.

Regardless, the points I made are still valid. Should I understand your lack of argument on my other points to mean that you agree with everything else?

12. rugby_fan says:

I am in an agreeable mood today so sure, why not!

Even if I were in a less pleasant mood I would still mostly agree with you.