Passing along a rumor

I’ve been passed a rumor from a credible source that a Republican State House member is working on legislation that would impose a statewide on ban trans-fats, similar to the New York City ban.

1. CobbGOPer says:

Wasn’t there a study not long ago that Georgia is one of the “fatter” (more obese) states in the Union on average?

Perhaps this bill isn’t a bad idea.

2. Political grandstanding at its worst, more like it Buzz. With New York City (and the state probably not far behind) banning this, and also other big states and cities (California, I believe, and Chicago) all but the most regional of food producers will soon just go ahead and stop using transfat for everybody.

It is simply not profitable for most food producers to make one set of their product with transfat for some parts of the country and one set without for others. Since they must do without in some places, it will be without everywhere.

At this point in the transfat saga, whoever this courageous legislator is might as well also offer a bill that bans use of DDT in Georgia.

3. Thanks to Steve Davis, eventually our roads will be so clogged and there will be no transportation alternatives, so we’ll just have to walk everywhere.

Gosh, who knew he was such an advocate for public health?

4. jsm says:

The “courageous legislator” might as well add bans on cigarettes, soft drinks, and candy to the bill.

5. BD Smith says:

Fat Georgians wil cry that their liberties are being taken away. Remember how they cried about Stephanie Stuckey Benfield’s bill to stop all their fat ass kids from becoming couch potatoes.

“The bill had bipartisan sponsorship, but little support in Georgians’ houses. ”

“In Georgia, state Rep. Stephanie Stuckey Benfield introduced a bill last month to require schools to calculate students’ BMI and list it on report cards. But she dropped plans to pursue the measure after receiving angry e-mails and phone calls.

The most legitimate complaints concerned potential harm to students’ self-esteem, Benfield says. “That was certainly never my intent, but I’m sensitive to that.” She plans to continue to work on childhood obesity in Georgia, where an estimated 37 percent of the state’s schoolchildren are overweight.

Previously, Georgia legislators have tried and failed to ban soft drink machines in schools, require recess, and add physical education classes.”

6. jsm says:

“Fat Georgians wil cry that their liberties are being taken away.”

Whose liberties will we be protecting?

7. SpaceyG says:

Shoot… how will I ever fit into all my furs? I hate looking like an anorexic. Southern men have NEVER liked that look. Reminds us of THOSE times. (Remember when Scarlett went to the prison to seduce Rhett for money, and she got found-out quickly because all that manual labor had caused her to become all calloused and boney?)

Just more acts of northern aggression if you ask me.

8. debbie0040 says:

You can not be serious. It this some type of joke?
    Chocolate makes you fat. Let’s just ban that while you are at it…and then there is McDonalds…
    This is ridiculous that a State House member is serious about this. Didn’t they see the ridicule New York endured?

9. BD Smith says:

You ban chocolate and the Gold Dome will never be the same after 1 million women descend on the capitol.

10. SpaceyG says:

Ain’t that the truth BD! You do NOT want to get between a southern lady and her Little Debbies. You wanna hear some Rebel yellin’… no one will be left to make-up ludicrous legislation around that place. Dude is completely insane who thought up that one.

11. SpaceyG says:

Oh yeah… sorry GD. Caffeinated doughnuts??? Oh Mahhh Gaaaaawwwwd!!!!!!!!! Can I get a sample. I’ll blog about it – for a really long time. ‘Til the headache from hell sets in at least.

12. DougieFresh says:

How long before the state bed time. Sonny can then maybe have a big switch on his desk and declare lights out and decend GA into darkenss at the appointed time.

13. ConservativeCaucus says:

I was trying to think of the right thing to say…

Thank you Deac for putting how I was feeling into words, you truly have a gift.

14. atlantaman says:

I guarantee you it’s some suburban Republican that has no concept of party values, decided he/she wanted to be in political office and picked whatever party had the best chance of getting him/her elected.

If we are going to go down this road, then I might adopt a “If you can’t beat them join them” philosophy and start fighting for some crap that irks me. I wonder if I can get a Rep. to sponsor a bill banning foods with high calorie counts and no nutritional value – like Coca Cola. Maybe I’d just settle for a ban on mullets.

15. Donkey Kong says:

So as to avoid a Trent Lott-style misunderstanding, I’ll preface this by saying I don’t agree with the former Rep. Preston Brooks’ pro-slavery stance.

That being said, we need a modern-day Brooks-style caning of whoever proposed this bill.