More on the School Voucher Bill

Warrior makes a great point in the earlier post about Senator Johnson’s bill. Georgia is about to get a voucher program for public schools and there is barely any noise of support among libertarians or conservatives. I wonder why.

In fact, it is a great bill and one I hear the Bush administration just might show a interest in.

1. Jason Pye says:

I like the legislation as a stepping stone to open enrollment, but I don’t think you’ll see a lot of libertarians or conservatives simply because it doesn’t apply to all kids.

2. Warrior says:

Jason- it passed Committee by only 5-4. It has every educrat in the state in a panic. Even just applying it to special needs students has drawn a line in the sand for the status quo. Every voucher supporter should be putting their full weight behind this bill or it will not pass and future possibilities will never happen.

3. bowersville says:

What is the Republican to Democratic ratio on the committee and which Republican, if any voted against it? Does anyone know how the Senator of the 50th stands on this bill? Do any of you know where your Senator stands? I don’t but I’m finding out.

4. EducationMan says:

6 R’s and 4 D’s on that committee. The chair only votes if there is a tie. All R’s voted for it. All D’s voted against.

The real battle will be in the House Education committee.

5. Jason Pye says:

Warrior,

I’ve seen some of the e-mails that have been sent out by the GAE and PAGE.

I personally support the legislation. If I were still chair of the Libertarian Party here in Georgia, I’d move that we support it.

6. Jason Pye says:

I’ve blogged on it and voiced my support. I’ve told Senator Johnson that I thought it was a step in the right direction, as well as my own State Senator.