How do you spell backpedal?

I don’t know about you, but I spell it S-O-N-N-Y.

Gov. Sonny Perdue said today he was just “having fun” – not threatening a veto – when he told an Atlanta radio station last week that a bill which would pave the way for the Sunday sales of beer and wine would have a tough time getting his signature.

At the same time, Perdue said he stood by his comments on Q-100.

“I think it will take a lot of persuasion to get my vote,” Perdue said today following an appearance at Georgia State University.

Perdue said it is “not respectful for a chief executive to talk about vetoes” and encouraged state lawmakers to have a free-flowing debate on the issue.

“It’s not my responsibility to send smoke signals to the General Assembly,” he said.

“But I would not have introduced that legislation had I been in the Senate I will simply say that,” Perdue continued.

I’m glad to hear him back down from his earlier remarks.

1. bowersville says:

Quoting Senator David Shafer ( http://www.david shafer.org ), “I will say there is virtually no interest among legislators in pursuing this after the Governor’s comment last week. There are simply not the votes—or the will— to override a gubernatorial veto.” The outright threat of the “VETO” is gone. The Governor even encouraged lawmakers to have a free flowing debate on the issue. Send Senate Bill 26 to the floor!

2. debbie0040 says:

The voters have a right to decide this issue.

They voted on the State Flag and banning Gay marriage. They should have the right to decide this issue as well.

The bottom line is, you can already purchase alcohol on Sunday by going to a restaurant.

3. Will Hinton says:

debbie: I can pay quite a markup to a restaurant if I want alcohol on Sunday. Why do I have to pay more to drink on Sundays?

Are you opposed to freedom?

4. Paul Shuford says:

I think the most compelling argument on the issue of alcohol sales on Sunday (posted earlier on this site by Erick):

“It’s absurd to be doing this over highway safety when the present system encourages those out of beer to go to bars, watch the game there, and then drive home after drinking.”

Let people buy their alcohol on Sunday and then go drink it at home.

5. hankreardan says:

People when are you guys going to learn. The Republicans are not for liberty and freedom but control of your moral choices.They believe they are your god and your daddy. They are here to save yourself from yourself.They walk the same path as other religous fanatics (like the taliban).

6. ugavi says:

This should be a local/county issue. The legislature should show some backbone and allow local/county gov’ts to choice. Those govt’s should then vote to allow let the people decide what they want to buy on Sunday.

7. Harry says:

Give up the juice one day a week. Voting should be for more important issues – for example eliminating the state income tax.

8. atlantaman says:

I know it’s a matter of principle and I support local governments making the choice, but I’m still amazed at how worked up people have gotten over this issue. The beer stores are still open 6 days a week, which is better than a lot of other businesses. I’ve adjusted to buying beer ahead of time a long time ago, like the Governor stated – it’s really helped me learn time management.

9. gatormathis says:

Let’s see what choices we have.

1) Legislature votes in a plural to allow Sunday liquor sales, it passes, and the booze flows freely.

2) Legislature votes in plural to allow communities to vote or choose whether they want Sunday booze sold.

3) Legislature votes in plural to allow a statewide ballot referendum on Sunday booze sales.

The kicker is that next year is not a statewide election year. So either the community vote, or the referendum vote will be an expensive special election next year, or will wait until the year after. At that point it will coincide with the Presidential election.

So the question is, can you guys wait one more full year until it is placed on the ballot, or is this a “must-do” this year event.

If this is not a “must-do” this year event, then continue to stock up a few more months I guess.

But don’t run out and risk becoming irritable………..lol.

10. bowersville says:

It is not about giving up the juice one day a week. It is about far greater issues. It is about personal freedom with less government interference.

Governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed…laying its foundation on such PRINCIPLES. (Declaration of Independence)

Would I have chosen this issue for a stand on such PRINCIPLES. No! But it is the one at hand.

We have a right for redress and that redress is by referendum so that we, the governed, might give our consent or deny it.

11. Chris says:

I’ll give Sonny credit. He said something. People said WTF? He thought about it some more and modified his stance.

Its one thing to blow in the wind in response to polls (Clinton). Its another to be so obstinante as to never admit a mistake (Bush 43).

My guess is that Sunday sales will take till next year to work its way through the sausage grinder.

12. Chris says:

Gator and others,

SB26 doesn’t call for a popular referendum. It says that the counties can decide for themselves. In most cases that means the county commission. Don’t expect a “You want to get liquored up on Sunday?” to appear on your touch screens any time soon.

13. debbie0040 says:

Will, I was just stating a fact. Alcohol is already sold on Sunday. It is not like it isn’t and it would then be allowed. I think it is crazy to allow one business to sell it on Sunday but not another type of business.

I believe the voters or local jurisdictions should decide that issue.

14. jsm says:

“The Republicans are not for liberty and freedom but control of your moral choices.They believe they are your god and your daddy.”

That’s funny, hank. What are the Democrats when they want to tell “rich” people they should pay more taxes to support those less fortunate? Or when they say corporate CEO’s make too much money? Or when they say you’re a bad guy for driving an SUV? Give me a break.

15. leftrightcombo says:

This is clearly a local issue that can and should be decided by local jurisdictions. This is an issued that does not gain the GOP any political points in any part of the state.

Secondarily, doesn’t the Gov. have bigger issues to tackle and discuss? I hope his whole second term is not going to be a consumed by small minded issues and ideas.

16. rugby_fan says:

I believe Sonny is now attempting to become the least effective, most useless, worthless, most superlative laden governor in Georgia’s history.

Is it 2010 yet?

17. ConservativeCaucus says:

What is stunning is that, one would think that he could govern like he had a mandate. He destroyed Taylor on election night.

18. Decaturguy says:

Will,

I think on this one you misinterpreted debbie0040, she said that “the voters have a right to decide this issue” and used the fact that liquor is sold at restaurants on Sunday as a reason to possibly expand that. .

19. gatormathis says:

CC,
    Nobody has even thought about that I bet.

With people decrying “mandate”, “the people have spoken”, and other terms associated with a plural vote (usually with no more that 2 to 7 points in their favor), Sonny could be a little more unreasonable.

A Governor who can’t run again, with a 20 point win, could really be as overbearing as he thought he could get by with.

But Sonny won’t, he’s just too nice a guy.