Can’t We Get This Guy Pardoned?

Someone may have more facts than me that change the spin on this, but this really sounds like an injustice. A 17 year old gets it on with a 15 year old at a party and gets to go to jail for ten years?

What the hell is that about?!

1. griftdrift says:

Its mostly about someone having the balls to suggest reform of our overly vague sexual offender laws (although to be fair the law that tagged this guy has been changed). But most don’t have the stones for fear a future opponent will paint them as being soft on pedophiles.

2. Burdell says:

I agree, there seem to be some problems here. maybe a pardon would be the best solution.

BUT…

The article does have some interesting bits that make you wonder. Take the following two:

“Wilson should be held up as an example of a kid who was making it.”

“He drank. He smoked pot. He’d been sexually active since he was 13.”

Now, should he be in prison for a felony? Heck no. But this isn’t the “good kid hit by a bad law” story we keep hearing. More like “bad law enforced on a bad kid.”

3. Burdell says:

And please don’t get me wrong here. That 10-year minimum is ridiculously stupid. Shame on the legislature for not making the repeal retroactive, and shame on the DA for not working harder to reduce the sentence.

4. HeartofGa says:

Are you suggesting that some of our sex offender laws are flawed and/or unduly burdonsome? Our ‘sound-bite world’ does not allow politicians to thoughtfully consider such legislation and rid it of provisions that create situations like this. This is certainly an unjust outcome for this person. I wish that it were the only example, but it’s not. A agree with Chris. Let ‘s see is Gov. Perdue has the brass to issue a pradon here. It’s the right thing to do, but I’m not betting on it. I would, however, be pleasantly surprised.

5. Adam Fogle says:

What I don’t understand is this:

But because of an archaic Georgia law, it was a misdemeanor for teenagers less than three years apart to have sexual intercourse, but a felony for the same kids to have oral sex.

So what if they are more than three years apart? What if he was 17 and she was 12? Then it would be legal? Sounds more backward than the case itself.

I’m assuming it’s the way the ESPN writer worded it, but who knows.

6. Erick says:

Adam, I think you are emphasizing the wrong part:

7. memberg says:

I’m a big proponent of the do-the-crime, do-the-time theory, especially with stuff like this. But realistically, while the circumstances of this case hardly leave the kid (or the “victim”) with clean hands, the jail time is far too long.

The kid basically should’ve been required to go to college in-state and volunteer 10 hours a week at some sort of sexual abuse prevention program.

On another note, I’m disgusted whenever people cry about how a promising young athlete has lost his chance to excel in sports because he got into trouble with the law. Boo-frickin-hoo.

8. Jane says:

Idiots making babies is a real problem that costs the state a lot on money in terms of tax payer funded programs like Foster Care, Peach Care, and other aid to poor unwed mothers. I have no problem with a 10 yr sentence and having him register as a sex offender for the rest of his life.

9. SpaceyG says:

Sounds like Jane is making an excellent case for more, not less, ORAL sex. No babies were made in this situation, unless The Liberal Sports Media Bias “prevented the real truth”, or something thereabouts from “getting out.”

There’s an online petition to help Wilson here:

10. DMZDave says:

The irony is that if the 15 year old girl had shot him instead of blowing him the prosecutor wouldn’t have thought twice about trying her as an adult.

11. CTM says:

Did anyone catch what the mother said:

“You think, what in the world could I have done to God to make him punish me like this?” she says. “Am I that terrible a person?”

Your son is in jail for getting a blow job and you think it’s about you? Give me a break.

This case screams for a pardon.

12. Burdell says:

I wonder if his mother, who thinks God is punishing here now, thought God was rewarding her before all this went down. You know, a pot-smoking, alcoholic, sexually active son is a blessing from above.

I don’t think she’s a terrible person. But she didn’t raise a pillar of the community, either.

But later on it at least seems that a couple of years in prison have reformed this kid.

“He doesn’t like the person he was back then, the cocky star athlete with the world as his yo-yo. When he thinks about the kid on that videotape, with a Pittsburgh Pirates hat cocked just so, he cringes.”

What a rarity. This shows that 1-2 years would have been plenty. Will he still feel this way after 10, or will those additional years just make him decline?

He did the crime, he did the (reasonable) time–now let him go.