Sen. Shafer on Sunday Sales

He has some thoughts, including this:

The Atlanta Journal Constitution reported today that Sunday sales is doomed for the session.  Although “doomed” is not the word that I would used, I will say there is virtually no interest among legislators in pursuing this issue after the Governor’s comments last week.  There are simply not the votes

By the way, this is another reason why there is no truth to the rumor that Sonny is considering a Presidential bid. The national press would eat him alive on this.

1. CobbGOPer says:

The local press should be eating him alive on this! Grr, Sadie Fields sucks! Why can’t she just stick to abortion and not try to be the ultimate bummer in this state?

2. Decaturguy says:

Sonny must have been elected Christianist dictator of the State of Georgia last November, substituting his will for that of the people and the legislature. I must have missed that, I thought we just elected him to be in charge of only one of the three co-equal branches of state government.

3. Jmac says:

This is absolutely maddening. It’s an antiquated law that close to 70 percent of the state feels should go. And the proposal isn’t a bill to legalize alcohol sales, but to let individual communities decide if they could vote for it or not.

If Decatur wants it … great! If Valdosta doesn’t … great!

4. jsm says:

King Barnes, King Zell, King Harris, etc., didn’t repeal blue laws, either. I’m against blue laws, but in the real scheme of things, it’s not the end of the world.

5. atlantaman says:

“So much for local decision-making or representative government. Let’s just make Sonny ‘King of Georgia’ and be done with it.”

Sen. Shafer is a very astute politician. In fairness he’s just being realistic about its chances. The issue was bound to be a contentious and close vote. I doubt it’s possible the Legislature could muster up enough votes to overturn a veto.

6. Jmac says:

To be fair, it wasn’t as if I directed my criticism specifically at Sen. Shafer, though I can see how that was the implication.

I completely understand political realities, but I also think the issue should come to a vote. There’s some give-and-take in politics, and if the legislature passed the measure and took advantage of the significant public support for this legislation, they could have some traction.