Yeah, yeah, they needed to do a story on this and it’s about the best they could do.
A year after a University of Georgia freshman died from an overdose of alcohol and drugs, students have not changed their habits, university police say.
University officials had hoped that students would realize the dangers of drug and alcohol abuse after the death of Lewis Fish, who died Jan. 22, 2006, in his dorm room from an overdose of alcohol, cocaine and heroin.
But UGA police statistics indicate that little has changed.
Hello? It’s called college. College is where you go to escape parents, learn that there is something better than Bud Light out there, Jack Daniels is for the amateurs, condoms aren’t really just more durable water balloons, and bukkake is more than just a funny words — it’s also a KA hazing ritual (I kid, ’cause I love).
Personally, I think colleges should all have bars called “The Library” with subsidized beer for the 18 to 20 set so they don’t wander off campus and die in a fiery drunken wreck taking out a bus full of nuns in the process and subjecting us to endless annual memorials and newspaper articles. And as a side benefit, the kids can legitimately tell their parents they’ve been to the library.
College kids are doing to drink just like water will always be wet. We might as well accept it, deal with it, and find ways to encourage responsible behavior.