Students Still Drinking. Water Still Wet.

Yeah, yeah, they needed to do a story on this and it’s about the best they could do.

A year after a University of Georgia freshman died from an overdose of alcohol and drugs, students have not changed their habits, university police say.

University officials had hoped that students would realize the dangers of drug and alcohol abuse after the death of Lewis Fish, who died Jan. 22, 2006, in his dorm room from an overdose of alcohol, cocaine and heroin.

But UGA police statistics indicate that little has changed.

Hello? It’s called college. College is where you go to escape parents, learn that there is something better than Bud Light out there, Jack Daniels is for the amateurs, condoms aren’t really just more durable water balloons, and bukkake is more than just a funny words — it’s also a KA hazing ritual (I kid, ’cause I love).

Personally, I think colleges should all have bars called “The Library” with subsidized beer for the 18 to 20 set so they don’t wander off campus and die in a fiery drunken wreck taking out a bus full of nuns in the process and subjecting us to endless annual memorials and newspaper articles. And as a side benefit, the kids can legitimately tell their parents they’ve been to the library.

College kids are doing to drink just like water will always be wet. We might as well accept it, deal with it, and find ways to encourage responsible behavior.

Technorati Tags: bukkake, UGA, college drinking

1. David says:

Erick,

You’re idea of the Library concept has merit. I had something similar available to me as a kid. I grew up when the age to buy beer was 18. My family had a farm house out in the middle of no where and we used to have camp outs there and get drunker and sicker than one can imagine. We even thought we were slick by breaking into my father liquor cabinet and watering it down afterward. He never said a word. We didn’t think he was smart enough t o notice his Johnnie Walker was getting lighter and lighter. LOL Years later before he died he said he knew it all. (As most parents do) AS a former ER doc, he wanted us to get all of that behavior out of our system where the only thing that might get hurt would be us getting caught on a barbed wire fence!

2. GOPeach says:

Well boys-

I hate to break up the frat party here,
    but my little sister was killed by a
    drunk under aged college student at
    UGA back in the 70’s.

My husband was hit by a drunk
    college student at Emory after giving
    a lecture one night. He was in a wheel
    chair for almost a year.

Also – today is the 34th Anniversary
    of legalizing abortion in GA and so
    I thought you might want to know that
    drunk girls have sex, get pregnant and
    have abortions 8 times more than
    girls who are sober.

3. memberg says:

Ok, Peachy: Factcheck yourself immediately. I want legitimate (at least CDC-caliber) stats on drunk girls and abortions. Plus, why does your right-wing-nutjob-self even care whether a girl was sober or drunk when she conceived a fetus TBA (that’s “to be aborted”)?

Also, wasn’t 18 the drinking age in 1970s Athens? Was it a 16 or 17 year old who killed your sister?

4. David says:

Hey Peach, what is frat boyish about wanting a place where these kids can drink and not do damage to anyone? It was certainly very effective in my case and kept me off the road so that I couldn’t hurt or kill people like your sister.

5. GOPeach says:

Memberg-

The drunk who killed my sister was
    17 in Athens going through RUSH.
    It was a nightmare for everyone.
    My heart goes out to this girl/woman
    even today as she was just having
    “fun” with her friends.

Few people are responsible drinkers
    when they are young. This is the time
    kids pull out all the stops and it usually
    is something they regret.

David-

There is a reason the drinking age
    was raised to 21! It makes sense.
    These kids in college age 18-20
    have enough drama without drinking.

It’s all about getting away from authority
    and parental protection in order to
    raise hell. It’s sad.

I vote for ID Checks 100% of the time.
    Fake ID’s are fined $1,000. That should
    keep people alive long enough to graduate.

6. Decaturguy says:

I hate to break up the frat party here,
    but my little sister was killed by a
    drunk under aged college student at
    UGA back in the 70’s.

My husband was hit by a drunk
    college student at Emory after giving
    a lecture one night. He was in a wheel
    chair for almost a year.

I am sorry about your sister and your husband, but you miss the point. Erick’s original post was because that it is inevitable that 18-20 year olds are “getting away from authority
    and parental protection in order to
    raise hell,” we may as well provide a safe environment to do so rather than deny that it happens altogether.