Gingrich to run only as a last resort.

From the AJC:

“You sound as if you think about running for president as a last resort, not as a first resort?” Wallace asked.

“Exactly,” Gingrich answered. “I mean, nobody’s ever said it quite that way, but you’re right.”

Gingrich said he first hoped to influence the presidential race by providing candidates in both parties with his “solutions” to problems such as health care, energy, education, national security and immigration.

“If, in that process, it becomes necessary to run, then I’ll run,” Gingrich said.

“Last resort, not first resort?” Wallace repeated.

“Last resort,” Gingrich replied.

1. Mike Hauncho says:

Nothing new here. He has already said he will wait until September to see if there is a clear front runner and if not he will get in the race. All this is is a rewording of his previous statement.

2. David says:

It’s a shame that he was portrayed as such a polarizing figure while in the House. The media ruined his chances for political advancement. Granted, much of his own rhetoric helped, but he’s by far the smartest guy on either side. If we are looking for real solutions to problems and not just window dressing, we ought to listen to him.

3. David says:

Rugby, I wasn’t even talking about the impeachment mess. Newt was punished in the press long before the impeachment issue came about. If memory serves, Newt didn’t even preside over the impeachment hearings, that was Ray LaHood.

4. David says:

Correction: Newt was speaker as the debate happened in the House, although he did not preside over all of the proceedings. He did leave on 1/3/99.

5. ConservativeCaucus says:

GOPeach,

I am confused… you go out of your way to identify yourself as a fiscal and social conservative. It begs the question, why Rudy?

6. Mike Hassinger says:

That headline shouldread: “Gingrich to win Presidency only as last man on earth.”

I heard that interview with him, and I like Newt and his ideas. I just don’t know if he can distill them down to the soundbites and slogans it takes to change the national debate.