A question to ponder…

I have a question for you political pundits to consider.  On the heels of this article, and looking to 2008, at what point do people abandon Republican hopes in 2008 and participate in the Democratic primary to help pick the eventual nominee and likely President?

Also, interestingly, I had a conversation today with a fairly conservative individual from South Carolina who expressed a similar concern and it prompted them to read up on Barack Obama and they said that he could be an acceptable President because he may be the best hope of the Democrats to help reconcile the nation.  What do you think?

Is there a Republican or Independent that can reconcile the country?  I believed it to be McCain but if the situation in Iraq doesn’t improve by summer, I think McCain’s chances will fade away rather quickly.

Pontificate…

1. Bull Moose says:

Reasons Romney isn’t credible:
    1. I’m sorry, but the country just isn’t ready for a Mormon President.
    2. He’s flip flopped on social issues
    3. One term Governor (hard to attack Obama for inexperience when you have a one term Governor as his opponent)

If McCain stumbles because of Iraq, does Giuliani benefit? It doesn’t shift to Romney, it shifts to Giuliani or someone else, who might that someone else be? Newt?

2. griftdrift says:

Sorry. I just said it because it had to be said.

And Bull Moose, I know you like McCain but he has blown his indy cred. He’s completely lost centrists (some of you would say left of center) like me. The only Repub I see that has a chance Giuliani. But have we ever elected a Mayor all the way to President? It just seems odd.

3. MountainThinker says:

You guys really need to be taking an in-depth and sincere look at Gov. Mike Huckabee. Not only is this fellow capable of working with both sides (Democrat controlled legislature for 10 years in Arkansas), he has over 10 years of experience as a Governor, including former head of the Republican Gov. Assoc., the Nat’l Gov. Assoc. and a willingness to go to the mat defending federalism and states rights, as well as being AMAZING on the stump.

4. ConservativeCaucus says:

So much can change over the political landscape in the next 18-22 months. Democrats could overstep their bounds, the war in Iraq could improve… enough for the administration to credibly claim victory and begin withdrawal. Does it look bleak for conservatives now? Yes.

Frankly, Obama is frightening to me. The last time we had an attractive, well-spoken presidential candidate from the democrat side who talked like a moderate, he ushered in an era of divisiveness that we have not recovered from.

I find it interesting to see if the Republicans will do what the Democrats did in ’04. Will they choose their candidate because they think he/she can win or because they believe in him. If it is the first, McCain will be the nominee. If not, it will be Huckabee, Romney (if he can put the fears of party faithful to rest), or a candidate not yet considered.

5. I just cant see a republican being able to ‘reconcile the country’ . . . at least not in 2008. The reason is trust. Can you honestly think of even one republican who could garner a significant amount of votes from people who did not vote for bush in 2006?

The answer is no- having a ‘best case’ of 50.1% of the electorate is not gonna cut it. The reason is that for too long the entire party bowed down to bush. McCain maybe had a shot, but after years & years of kissing bush’s ass & now kowtowing to people like dobson his ‘maverick’ mask is off.

This is not to say that the GOP cannot win again in 2008- They have shown time & time again that they are the champs when it comes to playing one American off against another, smearing their opponents & pulling it out by 1% on election day. They can win, but ‘reconcile the nation’?

Not a chance in hell. Reconciliation is not even something they aspire to . . . . .

6. John Galt says:

I don’t think “reconciliation” should be the aspiration of ANY politician. When your goal is to simply make everyone feel good about themselves and all get along, you get a bunch of whiny brats with their hands out, a la an American Idol audition.

Quite frankly, I’m glad the the presidential candidates are starting the process early. It will give the electorate a long time to get to know them and sort them out. In this age of constant attention from both the media and the voters, we will – hopefully – see the candidates with all their blemishes, but also the ones who are serious with the best issue positions.

Keep your powder dry for now.

7. Chris says:

If there is going to be a Republican President elected in 2008, that candidate will have to run against the record of George W. Bush as much as he/she will have to run against the Democrat.

Unless the GOP ’08 nominee distances himself from the overspending, iraq-bungling, government-works-when-run-by-republican ways of the Bush Administration he will lose.

I don’t think there is a single member of Congress (ok, Ron Paul, Jeff Flake and Tom Colburn) who will be able to scub the taint of the Hastert/Frist congressional debacle. The nominee has to be a Governor (or the mayor of a big city).

8. blazer says:

I don’t see Hill as a VP… she would have to be the top dog or she would stay in the senate and continue to wait her turn…

I like Huckabee, but I’m not ready to jump on his wagon just yet, I don’t like any of the current favorites… McCain, Guilani, Romney,
    i also like Gilmore but i think he probably has even less of a chance to win than Huckabee…

9. CHelf says:

Considering where we are on the War on Terror, Iraq, Iran, N. Korea, we will need someone with some serious military/foreign policy credentials. Whether you like to admit it or not, we’ve backed ourselves in a corner globally and we’re in a mucked up situation with a military event in Iraq. If the frontrunner does not have serious credentials on these issues, he better have a VP and/or cabinet who does and something beyond a Cold War mentality that GWB brought into the White House. The days of the Cold War dinosaurs are definitely over.

10. Jmac says:

I just have to address this real quick … you mean to tell me it was the Democratic candidate, the one who came to office with a Democratic majority in both houses, which ushered in the split we have now? Wow.

That said … Huckabee would be a good candidate. Or, down the road if he thought about it in 2012 or something, possibly Lindsey Graham from South Carolina (primarily because of some of his moderate tendencies).

But, yeah, it ain’t McCain or Guiliani. The former is looking more and more like a charlatan which each passing day and Guiliani will get beat up in the primary by the social conservatives. Get ready for the Brownback train to roll over the GOP tracks!

Of course, on my side of the aisle, it ain’t Clinton who’s going to sow the seeds of reconciliation. It’s most likely Obama, who I back, or possibly Edwards.

11. Mike Hauncho says:

We are two years out and you are posing the question that we get behind a Democrat? I say we get our act together and stand up for what we value and make the Democrats work their butts off to get that election. It is far too early to be jumping ship.

12. GOPeach says:

What really blows my mind is
    how so many EVEN ON HERE
    on PEACH PUNDIT-
    will BASH a CHRISTIAN who
    ventures to run for public office
    and YET will look the other way
    when we have a MUSLIM running
    for president! One thing the Muslims
    are taught is to LIE TO THE INFIDEL!

Barack Hussein Obama was born
    in Honolulu, Hawaii, to black Muslim
    Barack Hussein Obama Sr. of Nyangoma-Kogelo, Siaya District, Kenya, and
    White atheist, Ann Dunham of
    Wichita, Kansas.

When Obama was two years old,
    his parents divorced and his father
    returned to Kenya. His mother
    married Lolo Soetoro, a Muslim
    as well, moving to Jakarta with
    young Obama, when he was
    six years old.

Within six months he had learned
    to speak the Indonesian language
    Obama spent “two years in a
    Muslim school, then two more
    in a Catholic school” in Jakarta.

Obama takes great care to concea
    l the fact that he is a Muslim. Mitigating
    that information, by saying that for two
    years, he attended a Catholic school.

Obama’s father, Barack Hussein
    Obama, Sr. was a radical Muslim
    who migrated from Kenya to Jakarta,
    Indonesia. He met Obama’s mother,
    Ann Dunhamâ⿬⿝at the
    University of Hawaii at Manoa.

Obama’s spin- meisters are now
    attempting to make it appear that
    Obama’s introduction to Islam,
    came from his father and that
    influence was only temporary,
    which is true. Obama Sr. returned
    to Kenya immediately following t
    he divorce and never again had
    any direct influence over his son’s
    education. But,

Lolo Soetoro, Ann Dunham’s second
    husband, educated his stepson Barack
    Hussein Obama, as a good Muslim
    by enrolling him in one of Jakarta’s
    Wahabbi schools.

Wahabbism is the radical teaching
    that created the Muslim terrorists,
    who are now waging Jihad on the
    industrialized world. Since it is
    politically expedient to be a Christian
    when you are seeking political office
    in the United States, Obama joined
    the United Church of Christ, to help
    purge any notion that he is still a
    Muslim.

C’MON my fellow AMERICANS-
    WAKE UP!!!

13. Bull Moose says:

I was raising the topic for discussion… I think a Republican Presidential candidate in 2008 will have to run away from and against the Bush White House on many levels.

It’s sad that for someone with so much promise that Bush turned out to be such a flop in the second term.

He clearly was too loyal to Rumsfeld and had his eye off the ball on Iraq and the situation in the Middle East for way too long.

However, at the same time, he’s done nothing to push us forward toward energy independence other than offer rhetoric.

It’s pretty outrageous that we had 6 years of a Republican White House, House, and Congress and instead of major tax overhauls as had long been promissed we have RECORD deficits that will have an effect for decades to come.

For now, I’m a McCain fan still, but yes, the rightward drift needs to stop and he needs to watch himself on the Iraq situation. If Iraq doesn’t improve by the summer, it will be tough for McCain to weather the storm.

However, I think in his hearts of hearts, McCain is being handled by conservative handlers who are steering him in a bad direction right now. He needs to cut them lose and stick with Mike Dennehy and Mark Salter. They are loyal and have his best interests at heart.

14. jsm says:

Huckabee is really nothing more than a “feel good” candidate. His record is moderate as well as his stated viewpoint on many issues. This may bode well with voters, but I think conservatives will be very disappointed with him should he be elected.

I’m still reviewing the field, and I’ve yet to see a standout candidate that I want to support.

15. joe says:

If the Republicans want to win, somebody better sit down and have a long talk with Colin Powell. He is liberal enough to win.

16. ConservativeCaucus says:

Jmac,

President Clinton was not the only one to blame for the divisiveness, just a major factor. Of course congressional Republicans played a role in that. My suspicion is that you and I might also disagree on why these last 6 years have been so divisive as well.

17. GOPeach says:

The ones who “convert” to
    Christianity are the worst!

They will do ANYTHING
    to have power –

Obama is NO Christian!

18. rugby_fan says:

Thanks GOPeach, you are truly a great representation of my faith. Do me (and other Christians) a favor and try to not spread Christ’s message.

19. GOPeach says:

Rugby –

Check this out –
    Qur’an 5:51 “Muslims, do not make friends with any but your own people.”

Qur’an 5:72 “They are surely infidels who say; ‘God is the Christ, the Messiah, the son of Mary.”

Joining the Church of Christ does not
    make anyone a Christian!

“If you confess with your mouth,
    “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your
    heart that God raised him from the dead,
    you will be saved. For it is with your heart
    that you believe and are justified, and it
    is with your mouth that you confess and
    are saved.” Romans 10:9-10

To believe Obama is a Christian
    we need to hear him say-
    JESUS IS LORD!

( not I belong to the Church of Christ).

20. rugby_fan says:

No we do not. His faith is personal. If he says he is a Christian that is all I need. If he shows that he is committed to Christ’s message, that is fine too.

He seems to be doing two out of two.