Blue Laws

I’ve heard this afternoon that the governor most likely signaled his opposition to the Sunday sales law at the encouragement of some legislators who want it dead. From what I’m hearing from some credible folks in the General Assembly is that some legislators felt the issue is an awkward one and didn’t want to vote for the legislation, but didn’t want to be seen voting against it either. So, it was suggested to the governor that if he went on and signaled his opposition, it would make it easier for those wavering Republicans to get out of having to vote on the issue.

The AJC offers this update.

Harp and some of the bill’s co-sponsors say Perdue’s opposition is a bump in the road to passage, but nothing more than that at this point. They said they will work to build a consensus to pass the bill and then worry about the governor.

“My support is not predicated on the governor’s support,” said Sen. David Adelman (D-Decatur), one of the co-sponsors.

Most Georgians, Adelman said, see Blue laws prohibiting Sunday sales as “a vestige of a time gone by. I would hope Gov. Perdue’s Libertarian streak would surface.”

Another co-sponsor, Sen. John Bulloch (R-Ochlocknee), said, “I feel like any time we can give citizens the opportunity to make a decision, that’s good policy.”

However, Sen. Jeff Mullis (R-Chickamauga), a co-sponsor, said the bill is likely dead because of Perdue’s opposition. Perdue’s Republican Party controls both chambers of the General Assembly, and the Legislature has largely followed the governor’s lead on bills.

Technorati Tags: alcohol sales, blue laws, Sonny Perdue

1. Jace Walden says:

Awww…the poor state legislators don’t want to go on record voting for something? How sad.

Personally, I can’t wait to see exactly who votes for it and who votes against it–Particularly members of or legislators endorsed by the Republican Liberty Caucus of Georgia.

How they vote and the reaction of the RLC based on their votes should give us a good idea if the RLC is actually legitimate or just another check in the box for a bunch of legislators who really could care less about liberty.

I guess we’ll see…

2. DeacfromGA says:

We need to call our legislators and tell them whether we support/oppose this idea, and let them know that we still have a say as the general public.

I guess its too late to convince Daddy Perdue that us children can make our own decisions.

3. Jason Pye says:

At this point I don’t think it’ll even come to the floor for a vote.

And God forbid it pass and Perdue vetoes it and our legislator be faced with a chance to over-ride it.

But as I’ve learned…whatever Sonny wants, Sonny gets.

4. Decaturguy says:

“I would hope Gov. Perdue’s Libertarian streak would surface.”

Is there such a thing as Gov. Perdue’s “Libertarian streak?” He seems to want Big Government to be our parent at every turn.

5. bowersville says:

This is plainly and simply an easy way out for members of the General Assembly, including those endorsed by the RLC. The excuse will be it’s DOA with the Governor, so why vote, and they won’t.

I had rather see a toothless none binding resolution than a no vote, but that won’t happen either.

Less government interference is out the window!

6. Sen. John Bulloch (R-Ochlocknee), said, “I feel like any time we can give citizens the opportunity to make a decision, that’s good policy.” I agree 100% a fellow Republican that is not afraid of the people unlike Sonny Purdue.

7. David says:

With all of the real problems that plague this state I cannot believe that anyone is focusing on something as stupid as whether to be able to legally buy beer on Sunday. Of course we should be able to buy alcohol on Sunday. I detest laws that limit our freedoms like this. Why don’t the snake-handling, religious nuts mind their own damn business and if they don’t want to buy the dreaded alcohol, the don’t buy it. Hell, most of those who preach against this stuff are closet drinkers anyway. Laws that try and regulate “sin” never work in the first place. People will always find a way to do what the want. Morality laws (drinking smoking, drugs and prostitution) of this nature are a waste of legislative time. You obviously have seen the stories of the high class whorehouse in Gwinnett? There will always be an outlet for the supposed sins of man. I say legalize it and tax it! It might help with our ballooning fiscal worries.