Race for 2010 underway.

According to this article in the Gwinnett Daily Post, the race to replace Governor Perdue is underway and Cagle and Richardson are the frontrunners:

The two GOP legislative leaders appear to be on a collision course in early jockeying for the 2010 nod to succeed Gov. Sonny Perdue at the top of the statewide Republican ticket.

Barring a gubernatorial run by U.S. Sen. Johnny Isakson, R-Ga., which is a distinct possibility, Richardson and Cagle are poised to become the two top contenders.

But from what they had to say last week as the General Assembly kicked off its 2007 session, the two men are taking very different approaches to how they plan to use their current leadership positions.

Richardson said he has no agenda for the next 21D2 months. Cagle is pushing an activist agenda of measures he promised voters on the campaign trail last year.

To the speaker, that same campaign trail across Georgia was one months-long lesson that voters are content with the status quo. Otherwise, why would they have re-elected Perdue in a landslide and returned Republicans to control over both legislative chambers?

“People tell me they don’t want more laws,’’ Richardson told his House colleagues last Monday morning after they chose him to serve a second term as speaker. “A majority of Georgians are happy with what’s happening in Georgia.’’

That same afternoon, Cagle told an audience of nearly 5,000 after being sworn in as the state’s first Republican lieutenant governor that he would work to expand charter schools in Georgia and to establish “career academies’’ as a way to increase access to technical education.

I know it’s early but hey speculation is so much fun. There are certainly other high profile potential Republicans out there who might run for example; Lynn Westmoreland and Herman Cain. There’s no denying the fact Cagle and Richardson will be in the thick of the 2010 Gubernatorial race.

1. Bull Moose says:

Well, nothing like a pure speculative article to rattle the cages so to say.

Let me be the first to say that I don’t want any of the Washington DC House Members coming down here and doing to our state what they did to our nation’s Capitol (runaway deficit spending, voting against earmark reform, pushing special interest issues, etc…)

However, I certainly would consider Senator Isakson.

2. Mike Hauncho says:

Keep in mind that Isakson has always wanted to be governor. He may very easily sep into the race and if that happens you can forget all the other names mentioned. Sonny will also be looking for a new job and may well run for Isakson’s Senate seat. If he does not run I would put Westmoreland at the top.

3. liberty21 says:

I doubt Johnny Isakson would run for Governor in 2010. Cagle, Richardson, Hermain Cain are more realistlically frontrunners for the GOP ticket for Governor in2010.

4. debbie0040 says:

Isakson would be great and would win easily, but I don’t believe for one minute he is interested in being Governor.

I have heard Lynn Westmoreland and Congressman Phil Gingrey are interested and I would support either one or Herman Cain in the GOP Primary. I think either one would be great!!

5. rugby_fan says:

If Herman Cain were to win the Governor’s race in 2010, it would do wonders for the GOP in the national strategy to chip away at the black vote.

I think that Cagle might not fun for a higher office for a while. He is certainly young enough to do so.

6. foray says:

Karen is in good position to run . . . she has the total backing of the Governor.

He will make her look the best that she can.

7. drjay says:

has herman cain said or done something i’m not aware to make y’all think he would be the least bit interested in being guv??

8. rugby_fan says:

To be fair, Cathy blew it for herself, so I don’t think it is accurate to say that it is hard to make a leap from that specific office.

I would, however, say it is hard, or rather, impossible, to make the leap from any statewide office to Governor

9. debbie0040 says:

I l ike Karen as well but think she would wait and serve two terms as SOS.

Rugby fan, I agree about Cain and his impact. I thought that Michael Steele of Maryland would have a greater impact than he did, though. So the impact would be hard to forecast.

I think that Cain is definitely interested in higher office. I think it depends on his health. We need more people like Herman running for public office.

10. Bull Moose says:

I don’t think Herman Cain is as viable as some here are suggesting. He’s talented and has great ability, but I don’t see him making the race.

I think the world of Karen Handel, but think that it would be too soon for her to run for Governor in 2010. It would be seen as too opportunistic of her to turn around and run for Governor. Lewis Massey tried it and it didn’t work. I’d hate to see her run in 2010, lose, and be out of the picture so soon after such a promising start.

I think on the D side that you are going to be seeing the reemergence of Lewis Massey soon in some capacity or the other. Call me crazy, but I think if Dems put up a credible candidate for office like Massey that it would go a long way toward reviving the Democratic Party of Georgia.

11. rugby_fan says:

Didn’t someone also say that Massey still has some $4M in the bank from his last campaign?

That, is a nice way to start.

12. Mike Hauncho says:

Since Isakson is in the majority now in the Senate there is less for him to do and it could be a while if he does. It has been mentioned by someone on his staff that he is interested in the position. As far a Cagle goes I would think he should sit tight and wait a while unless he does some great things in the next 3 years. He is a great guy but remember that much of his support came from not being Ralph Reed. He still has to prove his worth as do many who are wanting to run but there is still plenty of time for that to happen.

13. Bull Moose says:

Massey doesn’t have an active campaign account collecting money, just what’s left of the 02′ account and that’s barely $30K.

$4 million… What a great rumor someone started…

Anyway, Cagle won on his merits and has tremendous momentum!

14. drjay says:

the new group of statewide ga gop’s other than perdue are all relatively young–late 30’s the mid 40’s i would think they all still have a couple of decades to do whatever it is they are going to do–its not like they are turning into pumpkins when the clock strikes midnite in 2010…

15. bowersville says:

“…impossible, to make the leap from any statewide office to Governor”? Well that rules out Cagle, Handel, Isackson and Lt. Governor Zell Miller from ever being Governor of Georgia. Too bad Zell didn’t know. Ask Lewis, Jr.? What was he 34-35? Did Massey suspend his campaign prior to the runoff election? Cox? Self implode? Maybe never a seriously contested race prior to ’06? Handel “out of the’ political ‘picture so soon.?” ppllltthh! The opportunities for Handel are endless, whether it be US Senator, depending on Isackson’s bid for Governor, Perdue’s run for Senate or not, Lt. Governor if Cagle runs for Governor, or Handel seeking re-election for SOS. Count her out, after all she’s only a Fulton County Commissioner. Ever heard that one before? Whatever happened to Speaker Smith, Murphy and Coleman? Governors?

16. rugby_fan says:

Well no obviously it was a slight exaggeration, but, when you look at the past 40+ years of Governors, they are almost exclusively members of the General Assembly prior to their election.

17. The interesting part is speculating the front runners of a Gubernatorial election that is over three and a half years away. Peach Pundit started talking about the 2010 Gubernatorial Race the day after Sonny Purdue got sworn in for a Second Term as Governor.

18. bowersville says:

Lester Maddox a member of the General Assembly? Bo Callaway, Governor? Which Speaker of the House has been elected Governor of Georgia in the last 40 years? None? I didn’t think so. Why? Could it be an iron fist? Politics isn’t about the next election is it?

19. Bill Simon says:

Mike Hauncho,

You stated this: “Since Isakson is in the majority now in the Senate there is less for him to do and it could be a while if he does.”

Senator Johnny Isakson is a REPUBLICAN, not a Dimocrat. The Dims are in charge of the U.S. Senate right now.

20. drjay says:

from using context clues, i gathered that was a typo and he meant minority in that post…not majority.

21. drjay says:

not to get into a long history lesson–but there has only been a ltguv in ga since the 1940’s–and if you count thompson–who was ltguv-elect when talmadge died–4 of them have gone on to be guv–i agree that the guvship in ga has drawn heavily from the state legislature–but not exclusively–and finally (i promise) a lot of the statewide holders who have run for the top spot have been flawed on many ways–bowers and his affair, shrenko and her embezzling, massey only being a teenager–up to this point–it has not been the office’s fault…