No Voter ID

The Voter ID bill is dead.

In a question-and-answer session in his office today with reporters, Cagle said he supports the voter ID requirement, but he said he doesn’t believe SR 4 can gain the required two-thirds majority in the Senate.

“If you don’t have the votes, it’s not worth the fight,” said Cagle, who has appointed three Democrats to chair Senate committees. “I’m not pushing it. I’m not interested in bringing bills to the floor … if there’s no possibility of it passing.”

1. RuralDem says:

Considering Senator Staton’s constant pushing of this issue, I doubt this is the end. He’ll bring it back somehow, someway.

Cagle said something that I think both sides need to take to heart:

“I want this body to be a deliberative body and I want everyone’s voice to matter,” Cagle said. “We’re not going to cause people to walk the plank if the votes aren’t there.”

2. dingleberry says:

SR 4 would allow the General Assembly to enact regulations over voting, including a future photo ID requirement.

Am I the only one who finds this a little scary? If this bill, by some longshot, ends up passing, will it not mean than any future voting regulation would need only a simple majority in both houses and the governor’s signature to take effect?

I’m sure that would please over half of the General Assembly who would love to put a skin color provision in the voting laws…

3. educatedvoterga says:

I read the whole blog article at the AJC.

Let me see if I understand. . .

A Republican Lt. Governor is more concerned about the feelings of Democrat members than working to push through a good Republican law?

I would suggest he use his office and powers to persuade the Democrats, not worry about their feelings. I am sick of the Democrats standing in the way of a common sense way of preventing voter fraud.

Cagle should be pushing this as hard as he can.

4. Jace Walden says:

I support the intent of the original voter ID law. But I think Dingleberry might actually be right about something (with the exception of the skin color remark).

I could be reading this all wrong, but the bill that Cagle is refusing to push now simply says that the General Assembly will have the power to change voting laws at will. If this passes, all that would be necessary to change any voting law is a 50% plus 1 majority. If this is the case, the Cagle is right to stop it.

5. Rick Day says:

This, and other things I’ve seen, makes me glad I voted for Cagle..in the primary.

Could this guy be the real deal…one who puts the people before partisanship? The Golden Boy? Or Messiah come at last?

naaaa….. he’s a Republi-critter!

6. liberty21 says:

I praise Lieutenant Governor Cagle for working bipartisanly with Democrats by appointing Democrats chair positions in the senate. I am glad SR4 failed to get the 2/3rds majority in the state senate. I am glad our legislators are realizing fascist police state tactics do not work. I wanted to let everyone know Ron Paul has formed a exploratory committee to run for President as a Republican in 2008

7. gopdoc says:

I sort of agree after reading this at the AJC website.

Why is a Republican LG giving the Democrats a pass here? At our county party meetings no other issue generates emotions more strongly than photo id.

It is as though the Democrats want illegals and dead people to be able to vote with ease.

I think Georgians should be able to vote on this. My senator supports it and it looks like many others do too.

You can see the bill and the bill at http://www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/2007_08/fulltext/sr4.htm.

It is sponsored by Staton as well as the Sen. Pro Tem Johnson and Majority Leader Williams and Sen. Chip Rogers, all staunch backers of conservative legislation.

8. commonsense says:

Yes gopdoc, that is exactly what we want because the illegal dead vote is more democratic than female professors…except that the county elections boards are now more and more within the Republican domain.

Actually I think the issue is that most fraud happens by mail and we can’t figure out why you all push voter ID so hard without addressing this…unless your plan is to disenfranchise our voters

9. lobbyga says:

How does asking a voter to identify him or herself before voting disenfranchise anyone?

It is racist to suggest that African-Americans or minorities or the elderly do not have identification. You almost have to to exist in our society. And I seem to recall they were offering free ids to the small number of folks who might not have one.

I don’t get it. But the bigger issue may be why a Republican elected Lt. Governor would feel the need to protect Democrats from this issue. I applaud this bill and have thought it was great for our state from the beginning.

I would like the chance to vote on this. The only reason the Democrats don’t want us to be able to vote is that they know it will pass by a large margin.

Shame on Mr. Cagle and the Democrats. Let us vote!

10. On a cognitive dissonance note, one thing I really don’t understand about the GOP’s obsession with Voter ID is: you guys romped in ’04 and ’06 elections here. Why change the rules, particularly if the outcomes of the change are still someone unpredictable (like who do seniors without id’s really vote for?)

11. RuralDem says:

Maybe now someone can write a Voter ID bill that actually addresses the problem of absent ballots. Oh wait, that would involve fixing something that will not divide people, we can’t have that.

12. Bull Moose says:

I’m glad to see Lt. Governor Cagle taking such a mature position as to not engage the Senate in a fight when the 2/3 majority isn’t there.

Cagle is leading in a commanding way that will allow the Senate to move forward and continue to address the important issues of our state in a mature and responsible manner.