Chairman Of Perdue For A New Georgia To Lead Team McCain In The South

Pretty Cool!  Good decision Alec!

U.S. Senator John McCain’s presidential exploratory committee today announced that Georgia Republican Party Chairman and National Committeeman Alec Poitevint would serve as the Southern Co-Chair for McCain for President should the Arizona Senator decide to run.

In addition to his current leadership responsibilities in Georgia , Poitevint has been Chairman of Perdue For A New Georgia, Treasurer to the Republican National Committee, Co-Chairman and Treasurer to the Committee on Arrangements for the 2000 Republican National Convention, and Chairman of the Southern Republican Leadership Conference.

“Senator McCain clearly has the track record and experience to lead our nation and he will energize the Republican Party,” said Chairman Poitevint.  “The Senator’s commitment to common sense conservatism coupled with his unwavering dedication to winning the War on Terror ensures we will have the right leader at the right time.”

Senator McCain stated he was honored to have the support of such a distinguished leader.  “Alec is a committed conservative and public servant.  He has been very effective in leading the Republican Party in Georgia and played an integral role in helping Governor Perdue register an impressive victory last November,” said McCain.  “It is indeed an honor to have someone of his caliber joining the team.”

1. debbie0040 says:

I would support Rudy before I would support McCain in the GOP Primary.

McCain is better than a Democrat though…

2. debbie0040 says:

I would be suprised if the Governor did not support Romney. After all, if I am not mistaken, Romney hired Ayers and Bennecke at the GOP Govs Association and then when Romney resigned, Gov. Perdue stepped in as Chair

3. I heard the rumor is that Romney would tap Perdue to be his VP if he were to get the nomination.

Interesting, as one would have to answer questions about land swaps and the other would have to answer question about wife swapping.

4. Bull Moose says:

While Romney may look appealing during the primary people, he cannot win in the general election.

I find Newt very appealing, but I don’t think his heart is in making the race. However, he’s one of the smartest people on the national scene, so he’s important to have involved in any effort.

McCain is pretty much the real deal!

5. jackson says:

Romney can’t win the General, but he won in Mass? That doesnt make sense Bull Moose. I can see him having a tough time in the primary, but not in the General.

As far as AP goes, who really cares to be honest. I mean, do the Rank and File really give a hoot about him? I would think a Congressman/U.S. Senator or at least a major elected official as Chairman would make a stronger statement. Just my opinion.

6. atlantaman says:

“I mean, do the Rank and File really give a hoot about him?”

Right now it ain’t about the rank and file, it’s about raising money. Each state basically has a set amount of major donors and whoever can secure them first will have a major advantage.

As previously reported, Romney appears to have secured a lot of the big money GOP people in GA. Hopefully, from McCain’s perspective, Poitevent will be able to mitigate some of Romney’s GA money advantage.

7. joe says:

When was the last time that any Georgian’s vote actually counted in a primary? It will all be decided (again) before it gets to us.

8. Bull Moose says:

Running for Governor of MA and President of the United States are two completely different things.

John McCain is the battle tested and ready leader for America in these uncertain times.

9. jackson says:

Atlantaman, I see your point. I guess I should have rephrased it to mean, is AP the best he could get? I mean, you think he could do better. But good point, nonetheless.

Bullmoose, as far as running for Gov VS Pres, I understand the difference. Just dont know why you think he “can’t win” the General. Why not?

10. SouthernConservativ says:

Is McCain to GOP what Zell Miller is to Dems?

Any conversation of McCain in the realm of conservatism or traditionalism is a waste of blog space and time. And I’ve just wasted too much.

McCain is NOT a GOP candidate. IMO

11. drjay says:

joe as i recall in 92 ga was clinton’s first primary win and in 96 after the buchanan win in nh ga was one of the states that helped dole get back on track–this was only a couple of elections ago since they only happen every four years and not every primary is season is contested. the poitevent thing is interesting makes one wonder where sonny will end up…

12. Bill Simon says:

One things for certain about McCain: Had he won the presidential primaries in 2000, he would have gone on to become president, and WE would not be stuck right now in what may well be the biggest cluster-f*** pile of all time; that is, Iraq.