Burkhalter v. Richardson

Insider Advantage notes that Glenn Richardson attended a fundraiser for Mark Burkhalter last night and both men spoke highly of each other.

This buttresses a trend I’m picking up on this afternoon from folks in the House — a challenge to Glenn Richardson is wholly unlikely and, should the media swirl with these stories, they won’t last long anyway. While there are a few folks in the House GOP who would like to see a Burkhalter challenge, most wouldn’t. But, I should also point out that a lot of the members are surprised by what is now taking place.

1. Mad Dog says:

Like other folks have said in other posts, why are you spinning the media as evil if the Speaker has been screwing secretaries on top of the Governors Desk?

I might believe a defense based on the Devil made me do it, but give me a break!

The AJC made me do it?

Where the moral outrage that the man broke his promise to God, his family, and his friends?

Honestly, the pre-emptive defense method is all the rage with conservatives.

Sonny does a TV ad saying I hope Mark doesn’t go negative in our campaign. While Sonny’s campaign sends out negative mailers.

Now the Speaker has a mouth piece saying the media has no right to criticize his sexual prowess?

Is the next step attacking the woman as being cheap and easy and a lobbyist?

(No one is cheaper, or easier than a lobbyist …)

2. commonsense says:

so let’s see…the guy who thinks that marrige is so important that it must be made a part of the Constitution…he’s cheating on his wife…not just with a staffer or an intern but a lobbyist. No story here. Erik be honest, if Cathy Cox or Mark Taylor had been doing a staffer you’d say it was disqulifying. Stop being spun and use that legal mind of yours. Family values aren’t the peices of legislation you write they’re values you live.

3. In fairness to Erick if Mark Taylor had been doing a lobbyist he would have said that the lobbyist was crushed and if Cathy Cox had been doing a lobbyist (* technically she was) he would have said he was jealous!

4. Erick says:

Thank you, Chris.

Actually, I don’t think personal deficiencies are disqualifying for someone. While I would not vote for the person, I don’t think the personal issues of a candidate really have a great deal of baring on how they govern.

5. Donkey Kong says:

“I don’t think the personal issues of a candidate really have a great deal of baring on how they govern.”

Erick,
    I think they have a great deal of baring on how they govern. Granted, “trust” is a concept mostly absent from politics, but the old adage comes to mind–if you’re faithful in the little things, you’ll be faithful in the big things. If a politician cheats on his or her spouse, I can’t trust him/her, period. Especially on issues that have questionable moral ground, such as stem cell research. If our politicians lack, or ignore, a moral compass, we can’t trust them, especially in the backroom dealmaking where the discussions and trades are private.

“The character that takes command in the moments of crucial choices has already been determined by a thousand other choices made earlier at seemingly unimportant moments. It has been determined by all of the seemingly little choices of years past, by all those times when the voice of conscience was at war with the voice of temptation, whispering, aloud or internal, ‘it doesn’t really matter.'”
    -Ronald Reagan

Lobbyist or not, bimbo girlfriend or not, any politician that cheats on the spouse or succumbs to moral degradation in his/her personal life destroys the trust I held in that person to govern responsibly. These are our LEADERS. Let’s try to hold them to a higher standard.

6. Mad Dog says:

Erick,

Sorry about the personal comment I made earlier about getting your wife a job as a lobbyist.

I think we would all be better off cleaning up a small mess from time to time than waiting for the media to help.

Again, sorry about the wise crack.

7. elephantgirl says:

I hate to bust anyone’s bubble but if you knew about Burkhalter’s personal life you would not want him as speaker either

8. Trackboy1 says:

“But, and I always have a but to add in, the Foley scandal was only a scandal because the GOP leadership nutured that dark like secret.”

Are you freaking kidding??? Foley is an all-time sleazeball…the guy chased after underage males like Andruw Jones diving for a ball in centerfield.

If Foley was a Dem, and it came out after the election, they wouldn’t have won squat. It’s that big. Yes, there are plenty of Dem’s cheating on their wives, in cahoots with lobbyists, stuffing ther wallet, and such, but Foley’s story is an epic.
    It’s not about Repub’s or Dem’s..it’s about one very sick elected official.

There are better comparisions to make than Foley. The MSM had nothing to do with how severe the Foley SCANDAL truly was, or how the public reacted. The guy is sick, and the poor handling of it was minor compared to Mr. Foley’s actions.