And A Happy New Year to You Too

Jim Mora has been fired.

Mora’s three-year tenure ended with a tumultuous three-game losing streak that brought his overall record to 26-22. Mora is the second coach in the franchise’s 41-year history to be fired with a winning record.

The brunt of that success came in Mora’s first season, when, as a first-time head coach, he guided the Falcons to an 11-5 regular season record and a berth in the NFC championship game.

I’m not a Falcons’ fan, but I liked the guy. He fit in well with the community and seemed like a decent guy — a more decent guy than some of those he had to coach. Bad luck this year. Sorry Jim.

1. Donkey Kong says:

Jim Mora and his coaching staff botched Vick’s development, and he’s an idiot for his comments up in Washington. He deserved to get fired. I’m celebrating his dismissal, and let’s hope Arthur Blank can find someone fitting.

Hey, after the Chickfila Choke Saturday night, maybe Blank can get Beamer to come coach his former star QB in the pros.

2. waterboy says:

Stick to politics Erick…..Mora had to go. It ain’t about being a “decent guy.” You gotta win and he failed miserably in that department.

3. liberty21 says:

I have a name for this post. Falcons Pundit. Ok Falcons Fans Jim Mora got fired, but at least he had higher approval ratings than George W. Bush.

4. blazer says:

yea he had a winning record… one year. Last year, 8-8, this year 7-9… obviously the 11-5 year was a fluke just like I thought it was…

5. waterboy says:

rugby –

Others have chimed in on the lack of Mora putting together a winning team. Mora had too much talent on the team to be this bad….did you ever WATCH a game? The Falcons are not good, but they can be.

I hope Mora stays in coaching. He seems like a good guy and is very articulate and enthusiastic. He just needs to go back to being an assistant of find another level of playing where he can put his talents to better use.

6. rugby_fan says:

Oh no, don’t get me wrong, I think he was a terrible coach.

However, criticisms of him not winning are wrong.

7. blazer says:

Rugby,

He had a winning record only one year.

He did not have a winning record this year or last year…

hmmm, 1 winning, 2 not winning, sounds like he wasnt winning to me….

8. mercergirl says:

How about the fact that he pretty much let Vick run the team? Sorry, Vick is a talented athelete (i know i am misspelling that) but he really doesn’t know much about leadership.

9. jsm says:

Vick sucks. He has become a drag to the team and the organization. He needs to go.

Mora’s dad may or may not have been right about Vick being a coach killer, but I think this firing is a good thing for Mora. Sometimes, these kinds of events cause a person to look at life from a new perspective and can help bring about good change for that person. At least he doesn’t have to deal with the thugs on the Falcons team anymore.

10. debbie0040 says:

Christmas came late to Tuscaloosa. St. Nick just came to town.

Roll Tide!!

Tommy Tuberville and Phil Fulmer are eating at a local Krispy Kreme this morning. Before they dig in, Tubby says, “Phil, we need to say a quick prayer.” Tubby starts, “Dear Lord, thank you for all you’ve done for us…Thank you for our jobs…Thank you for our families…Thank you for this food and the hands that prepared it.” We have just one prayer for you this morning Lord”. “Please don’t allow Nick Saban to come to Alabama”. “Amen.”

An hour later, Nick Saban excepts the HC position @ Alabama.

The next morning, they both meet again at Krispy Kreme. Terribly depressed, Phat Phil begins to cry, screaming at the top of his voice, “Dear Lord…WHY? WHY? Why have you allowed this?” All of a sudden, God and a few angels appear at the table where Tubby and Phil are sitting saying…”Boys, I know you are disapointed”. “Believe me though that I asked my most trusted angels what should I do.” Tubby starts crying and asks, “Why Lord…can you tell me why?” God leans back and asks one of the angels, “Bear…why did we go with Saban again”?