Thoughts on Saddam’s Execution

It was with great satisfaction that I learned that the Iraqi judicial system had carried out its verdict and Saddam Hussein has been executed. Few men have been responsible for such misery, pain, suffering and death as Hussein. Millions of Iraqis and their neighbors can now rest easier knowing that he and his fellow travelers will never rule again.

Closer to home, I want to remind everyone that this act of justice was made possible by the sacrifices and valor of American military personnel. It was the US Army that found Saddam cowering in a hole like a rat in a sewer and hauled him off to prison. It was the American military who made it possible for Iraqis to vote in peace to establish a government that would withstand the threats and violence to try Hussein in a duly formed court of law. It was the American military who ultimately made it possible for Iraq to be free of one of the most blood thirsty tyrants of the latter 20th and early 21st century. It is the American military that is working to give Iraqis a chance to have a better life in the future, free of tyranny, radicalism and the chains others would put upon them again.

Many Georgia troops have and continue to participate in the difficult work of nurturing freedom in Iraq. Georgians in the regular military as well as the Air and Army National Guard have played a pivotal role in giving Iraq a chance. To them we owe more than we can repay. When they were needed, they were there. They always have been and always will be. In this country, we can rest easy knowing that our best and brightest are on guard.

Once again, I salute the people of Iraq for bringing Saddam Hussein to ultimate justice and our own military for making it possible.

1. Rick Day says:

Jphn, I do not know you, but your post exactly the type of spin I’d expect from a long time Bush/war apologist. Are you?

If I am wrong, plese cite with links, and I’ll admit on this blog I was wrong.

If I am right, please forgive me for chastising you to use the execution of a revenge murder to justify the 3,000 brave soldiers killed?

So you say the lives of 3000 of our finest are worth the life of Saddam Hussien. Interesting high price you put on either Mr. Husseins or low on our fallen loveds ones.

Enjoy. This will be but a footnote the next time a skinny bimbo forgets her panties.

2. Mad Dog says:

Fogle,

Do you really think so?

I guess you didn’t see the recent ‘opinion’ poll where one out of four “Americans” listed George Bush as the most evil man in the world. The recently departed Saddam only got 6 – 8 percent of the most evil vote.

Even Brittney Spears beat out the ‘Great Decider’ in popularity.

So to repeat what Rich said with you in the premise, … Fogle, I wouldn’t trade your life for the life of a thousand Saddams.

3. jsm says:

I missed the part of this post that says Saddam’s life was worth that of 3,000 American soldiers. It’s not in there. You liberals like to change people’s words and then hold that against them.

No one is happy that we’ve lost soldiers in Iraq, but that is the reality of war. Those precious American lives were lost to protect this Nation, defeat terrorism, and rescue innocent Iraqi people from a ruthless, vicious, and deadly regime.

The war has not been executed perfectly, and our president may not have made the best decision in every single situation. However, I, for one, believe going into Iraq was the right thing to do for the future of this Nation and our planet. President Bush has defended America and freedom in the faces of mealy mouth liberals who would rather be popular than do the right thing, and I support his courage on this issue.

4. Demonbeck says:

I would venture to say that 3,000 soldiers lives were worth saving hundreds of thousands of innocent people’s lives.

Too bad we couldn’t have sacrificed those 3,000 lives sooner – saving the hundreds of thousands of people the Hussein regime killed before it was deposed by the American military.

5. StevePerkins says:

I’ll stay out of the moral debate on capital punishment in general… although I have a certain set of religious beliefs involved, I’m not exactly crying tears over Saddam Hussein either.

However, I will say that I have less hope in Iraq emerging as a healthy democracy than I did a couple of weeks ago. Someone sent me a link to some footage of the actual execution that one of the witnesses shot on a cell phone camera. Regardless of your beliefs on whether capital punishment is moral or not, these people are just savages. They were singing and dancing and screaming insults all throughout the process… being pushed back by security, etc. It was like watching a snuff film.

Sure, you can talk about how much the guy deserved it and what a cause for celebration it was for the Shiias in attendance, but that’s still not an excuse for a modern civilized nation carrying out an execution like that. It was barely any more moral than a lynch mob. I find it pretty telling that the reason we didn’t hand Saddam over to Iraqi custody until the last second was for fear that they would probably torture him in the street.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make him drink. The world may be a better place without Saddam Hussein, but his execution also showed me that these people are light-years away from modern Western-style civilization and probably don’t even see it as goal to reach for.

6. Jace Walden says:

Mad Dog,

One out of every four people also think that the U.S. government was secretly behind the 9/11 attacks.

25% of all people in America are retarded. End of story.

Saddam being dead is a good thing.

7. Jace Walden says:

Adam,

I’ve debated with Mad Dog plenty of times on this site and others. I like going back and forth with him. I don’t think he’s retarded…and I do respect his opinion. He’s just wrong.

8. Mad Dog says:

Jace,

You know I just hate being wrong!

43% of Americans believe the Warren Commission was a cover up. The late President Ford was a member of that commission.

Did anyone mention that in an eulogy?

(Big Hint, I made up the numbers on the Warren Commission. But, I happen to agree with the late President that Oswald acted alone)

And, back to being wrong, just for Jace.

I’m not in the business of trading a life for a life. Nor of making a judgement on who should live or who should die.

We actually have enough self-appointed Gods and conservative pundits on top of that situation.

Good to have you putting the Dog in his place, Jace.

HNY

9. Mad Dog says:

Jace,

A little military/political history lesson for the young whipper snappers.

“Alexander pursued Darius, the Persian King, for ten months after capturing the Persian Empire. A Persian commander, Bessus ‘usurped’ the power of Darius but Alexander continued the pursuit. When Bessus killed Darius, “Alexander gave Darius a royal burial at Persepolis” (Lonsdale 2004, 152, 153). Merely seizing the Persian King’s land did not end the political motivation for war. Even when Bessus ‘usurped’ the king’s power, holding the King as hostage, Alexander was forced to continue pursuit for political reasons. Only when Bessus killed Darius, ending a political line of succession, did Alexander have military victory. By giving Darius a royal funeral, Alexander took power with a public and symbolic power exchange. Only a king can bury a king with respect. (Lonsdale 2004, 152, 153).”

There are consequences, unknown and unthinkable, to every action.

Hard for me to rejoice over the death of one evil person or the death of 3000 as martyrs.

You’ll just have to go on thinking I’m wrong about the value of humanity and human life.

MD