From a CNN poll, look at these matchups (my thoughts are in the parenthesis):
- Clinton 47%, McCain 47% (that’s really close)
- Clinton 48%, Giuliani 46% (that’s too close)
- Clinton 57%, Romney 34% (abandon ship)
- McCain 47%, Obama 43% (hope Obama and Clinton don’t team up)
- Giuliani 49%, Obama 42% (see above)
- Obama 51%, Romney 35% (I think anyone can beat Romney)
- Gore 47%, McCain 46% (how about this Gore boomlet?)
- Gore 46%, Giuliani 46% (too close for comfort)
- Gore 53%, Romney 37% (again, I think anyone can beat Romney, well maybe not Walter Mondale)
The poll did not test other potential matchups.
To those of you on the Romney bandwagon, wow, that’s a very steep hill to climb… The numbers show you where that’s going. I mean, he does best against Al Gore, come on… In 2008 we are going to face a very strong and united Democratic party with a lot of momentum. It’s crucial that we nominate a strong Republican that can unite the GOP as well as appeal to Independents and Democrats.