Flip Flop Romney

Mitt Romney’s flip flops on social positions (on gay rights, on abortion rights), as reported in this interview, put John Kerry to shame.  What is it about Massachusetts?

Whether you are conservative, moderate, or liberal, we should all be able to agree that Mitt Romney is a very, very dangerous man, as are all politicians who say or do anything to get elected.

He said and did one thing to get elected as a Republican in liberal Massachusetts and quite another to get the Republican nomination for President.

1. rugby_fan says:

Decaturguy, you can say whatever you want, but, do you think it might be better to hold back some of this info in case MR gets nominated and you can use it to help the Democrat get elected?

2. buzzbrockway says:

Earlier I had posted that if I had to vote that day, I would vote Romney. This flip-flopping has caused me to change my mind. At this point I have no idea who I’ll support.

Sorry Bull but it most certainly won’t be McCain.

3. CobbGOPer says:

Not to mention he’s in a crazy cult.

One of the big rites of passage for major candidates is that church visit, with cameras sometimes following inside. That would be kind of hard when he visits his Mormon churches, seeing as they don’t let non-Mormons inside under any circumstances.

4. bird says:

A little off topic, but I seem to remember something about McCain speaking at Bob Jones University at one point. Can anyone else remember that? Of course Dubya made that stop in the 2000 primaries.

My wife and I were driving to Asheville for vacation and passed BJU, and I told her about their recent no interracial dating policy. She about fell out of her chair. I still can’t get over that one myself.

5. rugby_fan says:

Salt Lake City is a gorgeous town because of the Mormons/LDS.

But…their leader is a “president”, that’s all I am going to say.

6. commonsense says:

you can go into their churches you can’t go into their temples which are more like office buildings for the church. More intresting is that they to this day frown upon interacial marrige

7. JRM2016 says:

Romney is a non-starter. Agreed with Decaturguy on that one.

Living in South Carolina in 2000, I can tell you Bush went to BJU, but I cannot remember if McCain did. BJU is a HUGE part of the GOP in Greenville County, which is the largest GOP County in the state.

8. liberty21 says:

The Democratic Race for President has been competitive also . Peach Pundit does not talk about the Democratic Primaries for President as much as Georgia Politics Unfiltered does. Barrack Obama and Hillary Clinton are very close in polls.

9. SevenHillsDem says:

Never, ever underestimate the political power and brilliance of Newt Gingrich.

While I think a Democrat will win the White House in 2008, no one can be a bigger threat to the Democrats than Gingrich. Conservatives remember him as the last guy that really got the GOP a solid majority and, compared to President Bush, he looks very moderate.

I’m sure his affair(s) won’t help him, but he’s got the political acumen to go very far in this race if he chooses.

10. CHelf says:

Gingrich is comparable to Gore in that both are policy wonks. They get caught up in the details and tend to speak like professors (knowing Gingrich’s career this is not surprising). People were turned off by Gore’s minute detail speeches when he lost so many on the level that only a bureacrat should know. Gingrich is a little more people-friendly but get him in a debate and he will trail off in PoliSci 101 in a heartbeat.

It will be interesting to see whose past will hurt the least. Giuliani has a past on the level of a tabloid. Gingrich does as well. Romney being a Mormon and flopping when convenient does not help him. The Religious Right may find itself in trouble with having to ordain one of the shady past types.

There is also the question of annointing/cursing. Does Bush touch anyone with a potential endorsement/curse? Who is Rove backing? Are they focused on continuing what they define as their legacy?

Looking at a President like Jefferson you can see he made sure his legacy continued by basically lining up the next few presidents. Does Bush do that or is he ready to dart to Crawford after the Inauguration?

11. Decaturguy says:

Romney would have been better off by saying something like this: I am against gay marriage, have always been against gay marriage, and have done as much as governor as I could to prevent gay marriage.

That being said, I do support equal rights for gay people in employment, in housing, in being able to serve in the military, just like I stated when I ran for Governor of Massachusetts and will not change my position on those issues just because I’m running for President.

While he might have taken a hit from the far right, it would not have been an out of the mainstream position to take. In fact, it is probably the majority position in the United States. And it would have left him with a little bit of credibility.

12. rightofcenter says:

Colin,
    Surely that was a sarcastic comment. Disagree with Romney on politics if you must, or on his flip-flopping (hey, he’s not a professional politician). But please, at least give the man credit for having a track record as an excellent, excellent leader. I think that is what people like about him. Achievements. Results.

13. DougieFresh says:

CobbGOPer, nice display of Christian love. Why is a Mormon any more or less of a cult member than any other Christian.

There are as many Mormons as there are Jews in the world, and likely, at their fast rate of growth, it will probably eventually be the second largest Christian church, second to only Catholicism, in a few decades.

14. The Truth says:

While I think that dialogue is important as we go about the nominating process, it’s also important that people have the facts straight. So ladies and gentlemen, it’s time for a little education lesson.

On gay marriage, Romney has never supported it. Therefore, no one can accuse him of doing so. Even in 1994, Romney said he did not believe gays should have the right to marry. Yes, he did say that gays should not be discriminated against. He is obviously a tolerant man as are most Americans.

On Abortion, yes Romney was on the wrong side in 1994, but like Ronald Reagan and Henry Hyde, he is a convert. Would you all suggest that Reagan was being opportunistic just to get elected? Romney had a true conversion on the issue and I think we all need to accept his word and welcome him to the movement.

The National Review article linked above is not a flip-flop, instead its an explanation and the facts are there. And I don’t know if any of you caught the Governor’s interview on Fox tonight, but he reiterated these thoughts. Here are his answers on the marriage and abortion issues:

“I want gay individuals to have equal rights in housing and equal rights in education. I don’t believe in discrimination and I don’t believe the American people do. That’s a fundamental principle. At the same time, just as fundamental is the principle that marriage is a relationship between a man and a woman. And to suggest somehow that those two things can’t co-exist, that respecting rights of people who think differently and make different choices in their life that that can’t go together with preserving marriage is just not right.

“Upon a full examination of the sanctity of life and when life begins, there is no question, when you put together all the DNA, you’ve got life and it’s human. And I recognize that every civilized society respects human life. And on that basis, I came out and said, look, I am pro-life. Let there be no ambiguity.

15. ilc says:

To: CobbGOPer

Dear Sir:
    You have misunderstood the Mormon way. On the sign of every Mormon Church the words “Visitors Welcome” are engraved. So non-Mormons can come inside if they wish. However, there will be no videos of Candidate Romney in the church because the LDS church does not endorse or support particular candidates or parties; they allow members to choose whom they will vote for. And being they choose that and every other aspect of their lives, they are hardly a cult, but a worldwide religion of 12 million members. And it is quite un-American of you to discriminate against a candidate’s religion. Look at his record and draw your criticisms from there!

16. DougieFresh says:

I have little problem with a politician changing their mind on an issue. To claim to have never done so, reveals a maniacal belief in one’s infalibility.

The problem is when the politican fails to explain the reason behind the change and whether that reason is just a matter of political expediency.