Young Harris Is No More

The State Department of Transportation, in some lunatic frenzy, has wiped out over 500 towns on the state map. I can understand the need to get rid of some little populated unincorporated ghost towns, but was it truly necessary to get rid of Young Harris, Georgia, the birth place of a popular former Governor and United States Senator?

What really is lunacy for me is that I’m not even a native Georgian and I’ve even heard of Ty Ty, GA Deepstep, GA, and Gay, GA — all towns and villages erased from the official map. I think someone needs to go back and review their standards.

1. rugby_fan says:

“too many letters” such a gem.

At least we know the GDOT is trying to cut costs by reducing the amount of letters it must type.

2. Rick Day says:

Why are there too many letters in “Hemp”?

I draw the line on “Hemp”.

Motorcycling on the Old Blue Ridge Hwy will not be the same without a trip through Hemp!

3. Mojo says:

Ty Ty? I love the commericals from the Ty Ty nursery. They’re like an acid trip gone bad. Ty Ty should remain on the map just for that.

4. liberty21 says:

IF I was the Governor of Georgia. I would rename some of these towns instead of taking them off of road maps. TY TY and Young Harris need to be renamed especially.

5. SevenHillsDem says:

Too bad they got rid of Cloudland too–lovely little mountaintop area.

I agree with Suber that Young Harris College is the reason they should’ve kept it on the map.

6. drjay says:

seems odd and arbitrary–i think the augusta paper said evans and martinez got the boot as well and they are not ghost towns by any stretch they are census designated places w/ populations of 20k plus–but whatever…

7. Michael C says:

Who can forget Between, Ga. which happens to lie “between” Loganville and Snellville. UGA fans need all the directional help they can get heading down highway 78 to Athens.

Yes I am still bitter. When will the Reggie Ball era ever be over?