PSC District 3 Open Thread

I’ll be updating these images periodically throughout the night. As the county results come in, it will produce a map (on the left) that shows who is winning the respective Georgia counties. Remember, there are big runoffs in Clarke, Clayton, Chatham, Richmond and the Macon Judicial Circuit. I have a feeling those late reporting counties may decide this low turnout election.  On the right, a map that shows how each candidate is doing relative to their November showing.  In counties shaded red, Eaton is doing better, in counties shaded blue, Burgess is doing better.  Keep in mind we are comparing percentages.  A candidate could theoretically do better in every county but 1, but if that county turns out larger than the rest, they could still lose.

1. Clint Austin says:

It is really not that close considering Burgess is an incumbent and most of the runoffs were in areas favorable to him. Looks like he will lose by 5 points or more.

2. Brian from Ellijay says:

Well Chuck broke a 100k, looks like we finally knock one off.

Anyone know if any other incumbent Democrats were beat this year? Nationally?

3. burnsbacker says:

Simple Andre,
    a politico such as yourself should know that low turnout elections favor republicans.

of the area’s i am familiar with
    Eaton won Richmond and Columbia and lost chatham.

Burgess won Dekalb and lost fulton.

4. rugby_fan says:

Purely anecdotal but still amusing/depressing (all relying on your views on voter turn out): from the precincts I know of, average turn out was 24.

5. burnsbacker says:

i was 1 of about 500 and change to cast a ballot in bulloch today, i went in at 9am and was only like the 3rd or 4th person to have voted in my precinct.

6. Brian from Ellijay says:

Chuck is from N. Fulton, they turn out for runoffs and special elections. You should know this. If any doubt, just ask Karen Handel or Tom Price.

Bibb had a Superior Court race, both of whom went after Republicans, minoritys in east Bibb had no reason to vote.

7. drjay says:

eaton actually won chatham–we had a “gop” challenger unseat a “dem” incumbent for school board prez–he had pretty good gotv for the runoff–in ” ” b/c it is technically nonpartisan

8. liberty21 says:

HeartofGA
    The real influencer of elections are independent voters, so independent voters sway the election. I say congratulations to Chuck Eaton for victory over David Burgess to become the new public service commissioner to represent District 3 Metro Atlanta.

9. rugby_fan says:

Its an open thread, and, I could, if I so chose to do, mention that England set record for highest first innings score to then lose in a test match.

But I don’t wish to bore everyone so I will refrain.

10. buzzbrockway says:

It was just with some family, nothing organized. My step-mom is Australian and once while down under we played a little cricket. It was actually rather fun. My Grandfather watches the test matches from time to time, though he’s mostly a soccer fan.

11. atlantaman says:

“The real influencer of elections are independent voters, so independent voters sway the election. ”

While that might be the case in General elections, I don’t think that is the case in Runoff elections. Runoffs are all about getting the hardcore base out.