Redneck Not Spoken Here

Cherokee County intends to vote on whether English should be the county’s official language. This is presumably to drive off the hispanic population that fills so many jobs in the area. I wonder, though, who many poor rednecks will be shut out of government due to a failure to actually speak anything that could properly be considered to pass as English.

1. liberty21 says:

I agree with English as official language. it is more illiteracy than anything else when it comes to rural southerners. Otherwise I predict Cherokee County will vote in favor of English as official language in that county.

2. Mojo says:

This is an empty bill that does nothing but only offers additional controversy to a recent buzz issue, much like gay marriage and abortion. It is a way for the politicos to protect their jobs and tap into some type of anger and/or frustration amongst a particular group of the electorate. Is this bill going to solve anything about the immigration issue? Is it going to magically cure the problems associated with illegal immigration? It resembles less a coherent attempt to solve a problem, and more of a “in your face” gesture to a despised minority, much like the changing of the Georgia flag in ’56.

3. ColinATL says:

liberty21, that’s a pretty bold prediction.

I just have to snicker at all of Cherokee’s ridiculous maneuvering on this issue. Why don’t they just vote to put up signs at all major thoroughfare’s into the county, reading “Mexicans Not Welcome Here”? The county is a throwback and a hysterical ass when it comes to dealing with illegal immigrants.

4. RuralDem says:

I see no problem with what Cherokee is doing. I think if you willingly move to an area you need to abide by the language in the area. If I travel to a foreign area, I do not expect them to adapt to my language, I respect their language and would try to learn it. Respect is something that is continually ignored in this debate.

5. Rick Day says:

Those who can pass a written senior high school equivilency test in spelling and grammar in Cherokee county, should be allowed to stay.

Everyone else must move to Cobb.

That would leave 13 high school nerds and the English teachers.

Yup, sounds fair.

6. David says:

Brian is right. The illegals are such a huge drain on our social services that the American taxpayers are taking it in the shorts. Even if we weren’t, these folks are here illegally. They are flaunting our national laws and we shouldn’t have to put up with it.

7. ColinATL says:

I’ve said it before, and I will say it again, first generation immigrants frequently do not learn English if they didn’t speak it before. Sometimes they do, especially if they are motivated to do so for their jobs (ie, cab drivers, convenience store owners). But many times, if the jobs they are doing do not require command of the language, they don’t learn English. This was true of Italian immigrants, Asian immigrants, and so forth.

It is not that immigrants disrespect our language. It’s that they have no motivation to learn the language. And what is so darn wrong with that? Why do you have such a problem with that? Seriously, what exactly is the problem with someone not speaking English in and of itself?

Sure, you don’t want people who can’t read to drive, but there are already laws preventing that.

Seriously, people, your xenophobia is appauling!