Georgia Going To That Bowl Game Truett Cathy Ruined

Georgia will play Virginia Tech in Atlanta.

We’d like to say that Georgia will play in the Peach Bowl, but for some reason, Truett Cathy apparently hates all Georgians and has decided to destroy a long time tradition in favor of his company’s self promotion.

They could have called it the “Peach Bowl brought to you by Chick-fil-A,

1. StevePerkins says:

I live in front of the TV on Sunday afternoon and Monday night, but for the life of me I don’t understand rural Southerners’ fascination with college ball. People act like it’s “more pure” than the pros or something, but that is naive foolishness. It’s as much about money as the NFL (if not more so), but at least in pros there is less hypocrisy about it.

The number of true “scholar athletes” is extremely low… for the most part college football is a group of semi-literate thugs forming a minor-league version of the NFL, only with crappier level of play and no playoff system for consistently producing credible champs.

Just to add irony on top of paradox, the most rabid of college football fans are those who NEVER WENT TO COLLEGE. If it weren’t already reality, I couldn’t make this stuff up.

2. drjay says:

the reason the college game is so important and popular in the south is that is was the ONLY game in town for decades most of the big rivalries had already been est. (auburn/bama, ga/gatech, etc…) and had played eachother a couple dozen times before the nfl had been originated, most of the rural southern towns w/ no other collegians were proud of their high school players who made it to uga or bama or clemson, and they could hear the games on the radio. the falcons came to atl in what 66…unless you were a transplanted yankee there were not any pro teams to rah rah until then — so it makes sense that the college game reigned supreme and that tradition is why for many it still does…

3. LymanHall says:

Its about pride in your state and community. Pride in your school and conference. Pride in your tradition. Lots of those student-athletes that you so easily dismiss will never see a dime from playing college ball. They aren’t going to the NFL and [officially, most of the time] they don’t get paid while in college. They play for pride.

4. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Steve, my thoughts exactly! And did you realize that Oglethorpe has one as many national championships in football since 1980 as UGA has? I bet their football program puts as much money back into academics as UGA’s program does too 😉

5. Mojo says:

I miss the Sugar Bowl and the Orange Bowl and the Peach Bowl. Now all we have are the Nokia Sugar Bowl, the FedEx Orange Bowl and the ChickfilA Bowl. The commercialization of college football has reached a ridiculous level. They can still remain the main sponsor and advertise all over the place, but leave the names of the bowls alone, leave the names of the stadiums alone.

6. It seems as if every company out there has a bowl named after them.

They lost me at the Meineke Car Care Bowl.

What’s next?

The Peach Pundit Bowl?

The Georgia Politics Unfiltered Bowl?

I agree with Mojo.

7. jsm says:

Most NFL games are so slick and clean now that some people tend to be drawn to the grit and all-out struggle of college football. Also, the college games offer much less of the egotistic, controversial “stars” that say and do stupid stuff for media attention.

I find college ball much more entertaining, and the rivalries are fun to watch.

8. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

How can anyone not love the “Gaylord Hotels Music City Bowl Presented By Bridgestone”? … Anything with the term Gaylord in it will automatically catch my attention.

9. Adam Fogle says:

How about the Tostitos BCS National Championship game played in Glendale, Ariz. Oh, I mean the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl played in Glendale, Ariz. Surely, those must be the same games.

Nope, they’re not.

10. Rusty says:

There are good (and different) reasons to like both pro and college ball.

Pros have the absolute top quality competition. The downside to this is all the offenses and defenses are basically the same vanilla formations. As the Michael Vick experiment has demonstrated, deviations from these standards are only successful for short periods of time. Mobile quarterbacks who have maintained long careers in the NFL are dropback passers who can run when a play is blown up, not runners who can also pass a little.

College doesn’t have the horses the NFL has. The downside to this is you’re not watching the best athletes in the world. The upside is the gaps in talent between schools leads to lots of creativity in offensive and defensive formations (you’re never going to see a triple option in pro ball… you’re never going to see Tennessee’s “prowler” defense in the pros). This also means that college ball is less predictable, which to some of us (me included) is more fun.

So, if you’re more concerned about watching the best talent, watch the NFL. If you’re more concerned about fun and pageantry, watch college ball. Or, watch both. It’s not as if anyone is putting a gun to your head and saying you only can watch one or the other.

11. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Rusty, I agree that the NFL is a Copy Cat league. But Defenses and Offenses do indeed differ greatly from team to team, ie, West Coast offense, Spread offense, 46 Defense, Cover-2, Tampa-2, 3-4, 4-3, zone blitzing. How bout gameplanning and scheming from week to week? Sure, a lot of formations look the same, but the plays change from week to week, sometimes from half to half…Take a look at Belichick and Parcells….and forget about Jim Mora and Greg Knapp’s Vanilla gameplans.

It’s nice to get away from politics for a day:)

12. Rusty says:

LIMH,
    I know schemes aren’t totally identical in the NFL, but it’s just less likely to see any really risky/strange playcalling. Even a spread/West Coast offense in the NFL is going to have less exciting playcalling than in college.

My favorite offense to watch ever at any level was Auburn’s in 2004. It was a hybrid between a modern West Coast/spread attack and a 1930s-style two tailback system. It was crazy and shouldn’t have worked at all, but did because both of the tailbacks could block. That would never, ever happen in the NFL.

13. Jen says:

I don’t understand rural Southerners’ fascination with college ball.

It’s not just “rural” Southerners my friend. And if you don’t understand it, you never will.

14. memberg says:

Back to the actual post:
    I highly doubt Truett himself made this decision. In fact, I bet it was Perry McGuire. Plus, I heard that Perry has a makeshift Chick-fil-A kitchen at home so that he can have Chick-fil-A on Sunday.

15. DutchDawg says:

Well, contrary to your lack of understanding of college football fasciantion in the South, I understand perfectly why Yankees love the NFL so much. It’s because they either didn’t go to college, or they went to a college whose “team” couldn’t stay on the field with Agnes Scott.

16. Rick Day says:

I detest businessman (especially old white ones) who wear their bloddy christ emblems on their lapels, and bleat their cult-specific ‘altruism’ on their web pages as ‘personal accomplishments’.

One only does Gods REAL work when done without expectation of aknowlegement. Otherwise it benefits only the self-ego.

I also detest those who impose a ‘Sunday sabbath’ day off on their employees, when Saturday is the true sabbath, for purely pious marketing reasons. Most do not observe such a religous-specific holy day to the point that no work is performed.

I have never, nor will I ever, spend a penny on Christ-Fil-let products.

For me it is a pure moral issue.

17. StevePerkins says:

> I bet it was Perry McGuire. Plus, I heard that
    > Perry has a makeshift Chick-fil-A kitchen at
    > home so that he can have Chick-fil-A on Sunday.

If you were the chief legal counsel to a multi-million dollar restaurant chain with over a thousand franchise locations, why in the world would you WANT to eat fast food on any day of the week? Even crack dealers have enough sense not to consume the product themselves.

18. jsm says:

Rick,

I get a little hacked when people who don’t know what they’re talking about try to attack someone or something. Christians don’t see Sunday as the Sabbath. They see it as a day to worship collectively, a.k.a. go to church. This is why some choose not to work on that day. The Sabbath is an Old Testament Jewish institution, and is not limited to any specific day for a Christian.

I respect Truett Cathy and the fact that he has built a profitable business while honoring Biblical principles. He doesn’t force any ‘Sunday sabbath’ on anyone. There are lots of places to find work out there if you don’t like having Sunday off. Obviously Chick-fil-a isn’t for you, and I doubt they’re missing your business. That’s capitalism at work.

Try getting facts straight before throwing stones at Christians next time. Maybe you won’t look like such an idiot.

19. memberg says:

SP:
    You mean besides the fact that fast food tastes awesome?

I’d guess that part of the reason he likes working (or at least started working) for Chick-Fil-A is the food.

20. gatormathis says:

Now that’s funny.

Little old Truett Cathy, a man who has rose steadily through the ranks of the business world both finacially and in business savy has made the Peach Pundit.

While he has enjoyed much success from the little resturant he started years ago, he still gives talks to civic groups, still tries to help those less fortunate than himself, and still keeps his business closed on Sunday.

He sponsors the “Peach Bowl”, which Georgia fans usually feel they are “above”. Georgia usually wants to be more Sugar bowlish or some other big named bowl, but will settle for a piece of cornbread when that is all that’s offered.

It is true about the non-college fans being rabid. Maybe they are the ones going to the ball games and tearing down goalposts and turning over cars. But it looks like the actual college attendees might be helping.

But to disparage a nice old guy like Truett Cathy by saying he “hates” Georgia is a little bit stretching.

He “hates” Georgia because he won’t let them eat Chick-fil-la on Sunday?

Because the name of the bowl isn’t Peach anymore? Did he alone do this or were the bowl promoters wanting a more “progressive” moniker.

And Rick, he is slamming being closed on Sunday because he is more “moral”. News flash Rick, I have eaten only a few Chick-fil-la products in my life, and the resturant is still succesful. They have made it thus far without us, I think they will suffice further. But my reason for not eating is a simple matter of logistics, “they ain’t one close by”.

Maybe Chick-fil-la gives the readers to much gas or something, but I see no need to drag on an old guy for being successful.

If you’ve got that big a problem with him, buy his ass out and then open your business when you want.

21. atlantaman says:

“One only does Gods REAL work when done without expectation of aknowlegement”

I don’t think he’s looking for expectation or acknowledgement, if you’re a Chrisitan there is a witness role and perhaps he feels he’s fulfilling some of that role by the way he conducts his life. I don’t honestly know, but the guy has been very charitable and to try and turn it around into an ego trip is really twisted.

If the bowl names are important to you don’t get irate at the people who purchased the sponsor rights, direct your anger at the folks who sold the sponsor rights.

22. Skeptical says:

> I bet it was Perry McGuire. Plus, I heard that
    > Perry has a makeshift Chick-fil-A kitchen at
    > home so that he can have Chick-fil-A on Sunday.

That bastard! If we all can’t have it on Sunday, then no one should for it is on Sunday when I truly crave it!

I agree with the original post about changing the names of the bowls. You can be the #1 corporate sponsor without having the hijack the whole thing.