Friday Free For All

Here are some tidbits for ya’

State Sen. Curt Thompson is challenging his wife’s deportation order.

The Dixie Chicks are in the ATL. Anyone know if Councilman Mark Wedge of Chamblee has tickets? (that’s for you memberg 😉 )

And finally, here’s what John at Power Line says of Newt: (Hat Tip Captain’s Quarters)

I still think that if there is a credible mainstream conservative candidate in the primaries, there is a good chance that he will emerge as the nominee. But is there such a candidate? The mantle now seems to have fallen on Newt Gingrich. I admire Newt greatly, but he carries more baggage than Northwest Airlines. And as a national candidate, I’m afraid Gingrich would be an accident waiting to happen. As someone memorably said, Newt’s flaw is that he has never in his life had an unspoken thought. That’s fine for an idea man, which is what Gingrich has become since leaving Congress; not so fine in a Presidential candidate.

1. Rick Day says:

Buzz, The Dixie Chicks are/were anti-war and anti/bush. JUST LIKE 68% OF US CITIZENS ARE TODAY. They were not ‘pro Clinton’.

After 17 years of Clinton bashing (and 5 years of D.C. bashing for, what again? Ohhh yeah – the crime of being RIGHT and NOT having a penis while being right?), that you toadys would find some other now-historical entity to blame Original Sin on?

Got anything better this millenia? This century? Anything new? Fresh? Hello? Cheese with your whine, sir?

Did you foamy mouthed conserv-wags not GET the memo dated 11-07-06? That VP don’t hunt anymore. Venom is so yesterday!

Bush photo? Ahh, it is ok. Bush + war propaganda images + jingoistic slogans is NOT ok.

So did Chambodia vote to take the fugly thing down or not?

2. GetReal says:

I think with Allen and Frist gone, Gingrich has a huge opening if he can raise the money. I don’t like the guy, but I don’t underestimate him either.

I think he’d be a strong candidate in the primaries and in the general election. He rivals Bill Clinton in his ability to sense where the country’s mood is.

3. Paul from Jefferson says:

My problem with the Dixie Chicks begins, not with their political views, but with the fact that they decided to air them at a live concert in Germany in an obvious bit of pandering. Going abroad to condemn the President (any President) is in bad taste, but then when were good manners and this group ever appropriately used in one sentence. I am not a Southerner by birth, but, even I am offended by someone from Dixie (or anywhere else) indulging in such behavior.

4. memberg says:

I hate the Dixie Chicks because they advocate misanthropic vigilantism. Earl did not have to die. I’d rather he get prison-raped.

Plus, Natalie Maines (sp?) is a troll. How’d she get that guy from Heroes to marry her?

5. gatormathis says:

Shep,
    I was thinking the same thing the other day when I read about the good senator’s “import model” wife.

I was thinking, they took ole Shep’s wife from him.

He had to do without the pleasure of seeing his wife’s sweet smile up close, for a while.

Talk about a long distance honeymoon with hardly a chance for German Sheperds…….wow!

6. atlantaman says:

I can’t stand that Natalie Maines because she’s an idiot. I can handle a Dem against the war who has original thoughts. Maine’s comments are so inane, stuff like “War is bad” or “Why can’t we all be friends”. I’m sure they feel somewhat vindicated at this point, but her reasons for being against the war have nothing to do with the problems we are currently experiencing.

They’ve tried to turn their stand into a higher more noble cause about free speech. I don’t ever recall anyone stating the Government should step in and censor their statements. Although in Natalie’s case the more she’s censored the smarter she’s going to seem.

7. rugby_fan says:

“Although in Natalie’s case the more she’s censored the smarter she’s going to seem.”

An apt description, if ever I have heard one.