Shipp: Jones Means Saxby Success; Rivalry Weekend

Sayeth Shipp:

Santa Claus has come early for Georgia’s senior senator Saxby Chambliss. Vernon Jones has hinted strongly he plans to oppose Chambliss for re-election in 2008. The noise from Democrat Jones’ trial balloon must have been music to Chambliss’ ears. It means the Republican lawmaker would be a cinch to hold onto his seat for six more years.

I think that Senator Chambliss will win re-election, but not because of his competition, or lack thereof, such as the case may be.

Chambliss has, much like the other leaders of the GAGOP, spent his time being wildly inoffensive (and collecting a pretty coin).

As a result voters will see no reason to change. If the situation is not bad, it is good. Overall I think this is the worst thing to happen to the DPG because no matter who they field through 2010 and beyond (potentially), voters will see no reason to change leadership. It is almost cruel. Almost.

My favourite quote though is this one:

P.S.: Conceivably, Chambliss could face serious opposition from someone within his own party. In view of the paucity of GOP talent, however, such a challenge appears highly unlikely.

Heh.

Lest I forget, more serious matters, some of sport’s greatest rivalries occur this weekend. UGA vs GT, Notre Dame, vs USC, FSU vs. UF, and of course, Purdue vs Hawai’i. I shall be watching the last one with bated breath (GT, ND, UH, FSU all victors).

1. rugby_fan says:

Wallabies handily defeat Scotland in Rugby, Australia crushing England in Cricket, and FSU shall beat Florida. What. A. Weekend.

2. jsm says:

Sorry about those predictions, rugby. I was sure hoping on the first one. As of right now, barring a miracle in L.A., you’re 0-for-3.

Regarding the issue of the thread, I think Saxby should answer for his votes for wasteful farm subsidies and other various fiscal negligence. I hope he has a serious GOP challenger. We have GOT to take the lessons of this year’s election day whoopin’ seriously and follow through on our principles in ’08. We MUST challenge the status quo within our ranks.

3. SevenHillsDem says:

I’m for Marshall running against Saxby. But, if the numbers don’t look good in a Marshall-Chambliss (re)match for the Senate seat, he’ll stay in his Congressional seat to make sure it stays in Democratic hands.

Mike Thurmond should give it a try. He’s more charismatic, has less baggage, and has won statewide before. He wouldn’t have to give up his Labor Commissioner position and could give him a serious challenge.

4. Adam Fogle says:

Darn Rugby, I really thought the ole Soggy Isles had the gullies and slip fielders to knock off the Aussies. Sounds like the Lucky Country delivered one too many yorkers to the block hole. Looks like that famed Albion spin bowling isn’t quite the jaffa we all thought. I think it’s time to cut those damned Blighty pie chuckers.

5. rugby_fan says:

pommies were bamboozled by McGrath. At least its not the Bodyline series all over again what? I’ve got much more analysis later.

6. rugby_fan says:

Mr. Fogle, where does your knowledge of Cricket come from?

And as expected Shane Warne able to take full advantage of the destroyed pitch bowling a decent 4 for 108 with 7 maidens.

Ole Warn-ie is having, quite the walkabout with the Pommie batsmen just wait till the SCG Test. If ever a pitch were designed for a spinner, there’s your one.

7. Adam Fogle says:

I dabble into my fair share of European sports such as Rugby, Futbol and Cricket. Not as much the latter, but certainly a great deal the former two. I have however, certainly seen my fair share of overs on the ole wicket. I knew a chap with an off-cutter that’d dismiss even the best of the top order. He however, was quite the rabbit.

As far as my knowledge, I have, at best, a tea towel explanation of the game.

8. rugby_fan says:

I have a rather extensive knowledge of Cricket and can tell you, should you ever know everything you will see its all made up.