Take it to the voters

Of course it needs a 2/3’s vote in the General Assembly and I won’t hold my breath on that.

The Republican who sponsored legislation requiring Georgia voters to show photo IDs at the polls has proposed a new idea: Let the voters themselves decide whether they back that idea.

State Sen. Cecil Staton, R-Macon, pre-filed a resolution Monday that would ask Georgia voters if the Georgia Constitution should give lawmakers the power to approve “procedures to verify the identity of electors.

1. ColinATL says:

And still I ask, what about fraud among Absentee ballots? Please, just answer me that. And maybe then I’ll believe the Republicans who say that partisanship has nothing to do with this law.

2. Bull Moose says:

When I went to go vote this past election cycle, I had to provide ID. I don’t get the issue here… Doesn’t everyone that votes have to produce an ID like I did?

3. RuralDem says:

Let’s “patch” one hole and open an entire new can of worms at the same time!

If these people really cared about protecting the sanctity of the ballot then they would not have opened that huge whole in absentee voting.

I’d support the legislation (because I do favor a photo id) if it would truly fix something. This piece of legislation being presented however does nothing but play games.

4. ColinATL says:

Bull Moose, it’s a question of whether you have to produce a government-issued photo ID (e.g., driver’s license), or another form of identification without a photo, such as a utility bill or voter registration card. Limiting it to valid government-issued photo IDs gives the appearance of excluding the poor (who may not drive) and the elderly (who may not drive), although supposedly the state was aggressively trying to get these people alternative photo IDs.

5. RuralDem says:

Colin,

Do not leave out rural citizens as well. I’m glad however that you have left out the main issue that most Democrats use to argue against it. That issue is one that always fails.

6. bird says:

We should be moving to Oregon’s vote by mail system.

They have two safeguards: every returned vote is compared to the signature on file. It has to match to be counted (why not, at the least, incorporate this into our absentee ballots). Second, if a ballot is returned because someone has moved, the voter roles are updated. They have the most up to date voter roles.

7. DougieFresh says:

Vote by mail is awful. All voting should require physical presence at the polls or a notarized document paid for at the expense at the person requesting a mail in ballot.

How many absentee ballots are cast for invalids by partisan caretakers? How easily can a mail in vote be sold? (“Show me your ballot and let me mail it for you, and I will give you $5”).