Kimmer, Hughes and Schaffer out at WGST.

Clear Channel finally finished killing off WGST:

With Tom Hughes out, it looks like Kim “the Kimmer

1. JRM2016 says:

I will dearly miss the Kimmer and hope that someone will have the intelligence to pick his show up. I have often timed my drive through Atlanta to hear his show. He is always right on time politically but even more important…he is hilarious! Here’s hoping he is back on the air real soon.

2. Well, let’s see Buzz…

They stripped 94.9FM of its Atlanta roots. I like Peach 94.9 better.

They got rid of 96Rock, a solid radio station that played a good variety of music and not the same 10 songs over and over again.

And now they’ve fired the Kimmer and Tom Hughes.

Clear Channel has f-ed up the Atlanta radio market.

3. Rick Day says:

let the media consultants who f-ed up FM radio in the 1980’s buy advertising.

The death-blood of commerical radio is on the hands of those cretins.

Hell, let DrearChannel’s paid subsidy (The FCC) pay for the lost revenue.

(mutters) ‘tards….

4. UGA Wins 2006 says:

Kimmer is gone, Strike 1

Schaeffer is gone, Strike 2

Hughes is gone, Strike 3

WGST, you’re OUT!

btw: GO DAWGS!!!!! BEAT TECH!!!

5. I hope Clear Channel is happy with what it has done. Schaefer losing his job is not that bad. But to fire the Kimmer is too far. Apparently Clear Channel wants everything to be nationally syndicated radio shows. Obviously they don’t want anymore local content. Atlanta radio is going down the drain, 96 rock is no more. 94.1 is trash (always has been) 97.1 is too soft. It’s not looking very good.

6. rugby_fan says:

Yes but they are still a monopoly. They can do what they want, and you’ll have to listen.

I love the free market!

7. debbie0040 says:

I loved Kimmer and also the 96 Rock Regular Guys. The Regular Guys were hilarious.

I am sure some station will hire Kimmer.

Andre, you said it well.

Clear Channel is going down the toliet…

We don’t have to listen either.

Is the number of their listeners go down, then their advertising revenue goes down.

8. ColinATL says:

Let me jump on the bandwagon and state that Clear Channel sucks.

While we’re at it, let me also say that Infinity sucks as well. In Atlanta, they own V103, which I can’t speak to. But in Washington, DC, they purchased WHFS 99.1, which was easily THE best and one of the oldest alternative rock stations in the country. Seriously, THE best.

Once purchased, they fired all the old and venerable DJs and stuck in national programming to appeal to a younger demographic. Their morning show used fart jokes when they were trying to be high-brow, if you know what I mean. The music selection got more limited, too. Only the newest bands being pushed by the industry.

And, surprise surprise, the ratings tanked. So they decided to make it a Hispanic station, because Washington’s 4 other Hispanic stations weren’t doing enough.

One ridiculous move after another, and they deserve everything they get.

Oh, and Cox did the same thing with an awesome Dance music station in Miami, Party 93.1. Turned it latin, as well, which probably makes more sense in that market, but still, it was a great station.

Anyway, the moral is that national media conglomerates who make programming decisions based solely on demographic surveys are falling behind. They’re destroying listener loyalty, and PUSHING us to Satellite & Internet radio.

I still think that breaking up giant media conglomerates is a good idea, but maybe the market will take care of them in the end.

Sorry, I have a lot to say about this. 🙂

9. DougieFresh says:

I hope they don’t start airing Gary Burbank who also is out of 700 WLW in Cincinnati. I loved 700 growing up, but I could never stomach Burbank (he is also syndicated and broadcasts in Kimmer’s time slot).

10. LiveFreeOrDie says:

Here’s my obligatory WGST sucks.

My Daddy called me up yesterday as soon as he found out that they took the Kimmer off the air.

I love the Kimmer and I think he’s a regional treasure. WGST sucks.

11. debndkid says:

My AM dial now stops at 680 it seem 640 is no longer my station. Bad move since I had been a regular listener for over 10 yrs. By the way you can take the chubby guy in FL and put him where your brains are, you can guess where that is. . . good bye Clear Channel never again will I listen to any of your stations. I guess that is my loss since then I will have trouble boycotting your advertisers but maybe we could have a list of the top 10 advertisers on CC and get it published???

12. gaylerg says:

I am sick to my stomach about Kimmer being gone. I listened to him daily and will never listen to anything 640am is associated with. Clear Channel is all fogged up and I hope it falls apart.