Hunting Juan Valdez

The Georgia Legislature is about to go postal on illegal immigrants (and sex predators), it seems.

Eric Johnson, the state Senate’s top Republican, introduced a bill Thursday to make it a crime for sex offenders to photograph anyone under age 18. State Sen. John Douglas, R-Covington, put forward legislation making property owned by a person in the country illegally ineligible for tax exemptions.

Yeah, yeah, we know, it’s evil racism. The GOP is mean. The illegals undocumented workers haven’t done anything illegal as long as we ignore their act of entering the country. They provide a valuable service to all of us. How dare we enforce the law. Shame, shame, shame.

What bit of hysteria am I missing?

1. debbie0040 says:

A law should be passed that makes it illegal for a landlord to rent to an illegal.

We need a verification line set up so employers and landlords can verify a social security number so illegals can not continue using fake documents.

Let’s see they violate the law by being in this country illegally, they violate the law again by using forged/fake documents and we are supposed to have sympathy and turn our heads?

2. Mike Hassinger says:

Well, you’ve nailed what the lefty open borders crowd will say, that’s true. But I think we (Republicans) have been missing a key point about illegal immigration. Basically, we’ve ignored the law of supply and demand. The US economy has created a demand for cheap labor, and the economically-strapped nations of Latin America have an abundant supply of low-cost workers. There’s never been a law strong enough, nor a punishment severe enough to reverse the force of the free market. (See Prohibition.)

As Homer Simpson said: “In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics!” I think we should take a look at an immigration policy that reflects the reality of the market forces that are driving the illegals to come here. Open borders? No. But controlled immigration that allows willing workers to sell their services in our country, gives the US a means of tracking them so we can make sure they return when they’re done and maintains national security? Why not?

3. ColinATL says:

Mike, that was much too rational of you. Seriously, we need electric zappers to fry them at the border, keep our country pure, market forces be damned. (tongue firmly in cheek)

By the way, how exactly would you police the no-photographs-of-children law? I understand the impetus, but seriously, would you go through their computers? And then, wouldn’t they just say that “I didn’t take that one?” I mean, I guess the cops could catch them in the act, but how likely is that? Plus, why does the law broadly cover sex offenders instead of just child molesters? I’m not out to defend the rights of rapists, but shouldn’t the law at least be rational? Is that too much to ask?

4. ColinATL says:

John, I think you are exactly right. Importing cheap labor is a huge problem. If you want a real example, look at the wages of carpet workers in northwest Georgia. They’re being depressed due to illegal immigrants working for lower wages.

But the problem with this issue is that the Republicans don’t REALLY want to do anything about it. I mean, they do. They don’t want all those Spanish speaking people running around, not being assimilationist enough. But they don’t want to piss off their corporate overlords who are making a killing off cheaper labor.

5. mercergirl says:

John-

Um, how about the fact that the middle class won’t work those jobs? And the fact that it is in businesses interests, not just big businesses but small ones too, to hire people who will work those jobs- also for the pay they can afford to offer?

Honestly I think the President’s guest worker program, or whatever it is, is a great idea. Think about it- if people can go back and forth legally for work then their families won’t move here. Then they spend their money in Mexico. Which means the Mexican economy grows- which is good for the US because a strong Mexican economy means we won’t have the immigration problems.

6. ColinATL says:

mercergirl, it’s not true that Americans won’t work those jobs anymore. Sure, when immigrants just worked as janitors that was true. But now immigrants are working manufacturing jobs (e.g., carpet mills) for which there is no real shortage of American workers. The factory owners just don’t want to pay the market wage.

Having said that, I think the guest worker program is supremely rational. And many other countries have similar programs after which we could model the program.

7. John Konop says:

This is a simple question. if we have a shortage of labor, why are real wages going down.

That is a new twist on supply and demand.

The truth is we do some immigration, but as Ceasar Chavez said, it cannot be a tool to drive wages down.

I guess some of you may call Chavez a racist?

8. Chris says:

“The demand for cheap labor is killing the middle class.” — John Konop

Welcome to the Republican version of class warfare

9. DougieFresh says:

As for the sex offender portion of this thread. The problem is that, from my understanding, a large majority of them are “sex offenders” for doing things that most normal people would not expect to be on the list.

You went hunting and urinated outside, and got caught by a police officer? That’s public indecency, thats a sex offense, good luck getting a job or explaining that. Now, no pictures of your son or daughter.

Then for the REAL S.O.’s, if they are incurable, how about keeping them in prison, or a mental hospital? If someone is released from prison, and you have them declared outlaw, aren’t you just creating a class of people who HAVE TO use illegal means and break laws just to survive day to day?

10. John Konop says:

Chris H,

You should read the exit polls. The Blue Dog Democrats do not win without immigration. In fact I saw multiple interviews from Blue Dogs like Testar who said we cannot implement the McCain Kennedy Amnesty bill. Also as far as polls you should read this from D.A. King “attrition by enforcement

11. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

Illegals aren’t taking jobs that Americans don’t want, they’re taking jobs at a lower wage than Americans are willing to work.

A few years ago I worked with a moving company part time to supplement my income, I loved it, good hard work and decent pay, $15 plus tips. A few months ago I paid two illegals (Don’t turn me in Erick) $60 each for over six hours of work to help me move into my townhouse. Aside from having friends help, tell me where else I can find a better deal?

I know, I’ve contributed to the problem.

12. BB says:

Loyalty…what, you couldn’t find some middle class folks willing to do the work. Maybe you should call the man with all the answers, John Konop to hook you up with this supposed massive group of job seeking middle classers displaced by illegals.

13. Chris says:

Claiming a “War on the middle class” has nothing to do with enforcing the law. Its meaningless retoric designed to appeal to emotion.

Mike is right above. Our immigration laws conflict with the law of supply and demand.

14. LoyaltyIsMyHonor says:

John K., I was rooting for you in your congressional race, even though I’m not in your district. Although I’m not sure about the displacing of the middle class, I definitely would have had to dish out a lot more money for “Two Men and a Truck.” Cheap labor, the demand for it is there, the supply is limitless. As long as there is demand, no one can stop the supply.

15. John Konop says:

BB

Pro illegal immigration Party leaders like you (Bart Brannon) will kill the GOP. But hey, since you did not support Perdue with your newspaper, what do you care.

16. John Konop says:

loyalty

The problem is wages are dropping faster than any gain from reduced product cost. That is why I posted the link from an economist on the issue. BTW, the IMF also did a study showing the trend.

That is why the polls show people are not happy with the economy. That is also why guys like Chip Rogers are gaining, by talking about the immigration issue.

Georgia was the only State the GOP did well in the mid term election. Georgia had no red ink and passed tough immigration laws.

BTW both Democrats in the 8th and 12th that won their seats, where tough on immigration and trade. The 8th was set up for the GOP to get the seat.

17. DougieFresh says:

My biggest problem with immigration si that there seems to be no expectation that immigrants learn the slightest thing about our history or culture.

The United States did not happen by accident. It happened because of centuries and tradition under English Common Law. Contracts are honored, rights are respected, property is respected and we are a nation of law, not men.

People running over the border from Mexico have been brought up in what really is a third world nation. Where military coups happen from time to time, the government nationalizes private property, and rights are something that are only given lip service.

How can our Republic remain strong, with so many people have no understanding of what it means to be an American, and more and more do not even want to bother to learn a common language.

18. DougieFresh says:

Cheap illegal labor is not only cheaper because they pay less, businesses are also not having to pay the “employer” share of social security, Medicare, unemployment insurance, workman’s comp premiums or benefits that they pay in the case for an American or legal immigrant.

However, the schools, hospitals and many other services in this country are required to offer services to illegals, which mean ALL of us are being robbed by every illegal worker hired in this country.

The only solution to illegal immigration, however, is to stop the demand. Make it a felony to knowingly hire an illegal (they are committing tax fraud as well) and a first class misdemeanor to hire one without doing due diligence to determine if someone is an illegal. Then, the government starts filling our prisons with business owners and revoking business licenses. Illegals would stop finding jobs the very next day, and will self deport.

I have no issue with a “guess worker” plan as long as it requires that all documents be filed in the country of origin, that the worker signs away any right to later immigrate to the USA (otherwise get in line and immigrate the legal way), it has to be renewed regularly (once a year) in the country of origin, is of limited duration (3-5 years?), only the worker is permitted entry (no family to encourage them to return) and any children born to a guest worker, who do not have a citizen as the other parent are not themselves citizens, and the employer is held responsible for acts (criminal, torts, unpaid bills) committed by the guest worker.

If businesses want to take advantage of hiring foreign workers, how about they pay the true burdens carried by society?

19. jsm says:

I don’t believe there is a job that some American will not do. However, Americans want to work for a living wage that supports a respectable standard of living. But let’s face it, illegal immigrants are looking to climb the wage ladder just like everyone else. They’re doing it, too, which creates demand for more illegals to come along and take the jobs they are “promoted” out of.

I support business and industry, but I don’t support them hiring illegals to increase their margins. This issue pits corporations against middle class Americans, and the corporations are winning. I understand that corporations lose when big unions and other workplace issues are considered, but we need to deal with those separately. We must have an economy that works for American citizens.

I believe Georgia should do everything possible to make our state the least desirable place for illegals to locate. If the Feds won’t do their job, let other states pay the hospital bills, welfare, food stamps, and other handouts given to illegals. Georgia’s economy will benefit while other states and the federal government are still figuring out what to do.

20. Bill Simon says:

Eric Johnson’s never been the most RATIONAL senator when it comes to laws he wants passed.

His “hunting and fishing amendment” was a bunch of bullshit if I ever saw it. People talk about “frivolous lawsuits” being wrong, what about “frivolous laws” being wrong?

Colin, you’re right. “Sex offender” is WAY to broad a term in this state’s criminal annals.

Johnson just doesn’t really have a grasp on how stupid and inane his law will be when applied to people who aren’t “child molestors.”

The only surprising thing about this bill is I would have expected something like this more from Seabaugh or Staton before I would have expected it from Johnson.

21. Bill Simon says:

John Konop

You may be wrong in your assessment. I’ve been watching CNBC and they got guys on there claiming wages are going UP.

By the way, before you scream about the illegals who are here doing the low-paying work that Americans would line-up for, you should thank the influs of illegals who are working in construction and building homes around Sixes Road and, thereby, increasing the market value of your home.

JSM

If you think there are enough Americans who are not only willing to work at the pay rate these builders are paying AND willing to put their heart and pride into the job as much as the illegals are, then all I got to ask is WHERE are they?

22. John Konop says:

Bill,

Home values are down to flat. Also we are having a war out here about traffic, schools,illegal immigrants…. due to poor city planning and the open border policy.

As far as wages go, real wages are down for 80% of Americans. As far as working class jobs the wages are down end of story.

The biggest open border economist Krugman even said illegal immigrants are driving wages down.

Krugman’s Notes on Immigration
    Paul Krugman follows up on his column on immigration:

Notes on Immigration, by Paul Krugman, Money Talks, NY Times: Immigration is an intensely painful topic for a liberal like myself, because it places basic principles in conflict. Should migration from Mexico to the United States be celebrated, because it helps very poor people find a better life? Or should it be condemned, because it drives down the wages of working Americans and threatens to undermine the welfare state? I suspect that my March 27 column will anger people on all sides; I wish the economic research on immigration were more favorable than it is.

Finally, the fiscal burden of low-wage immigrants is also pretty clear. Mr. Hanson uses some estimates from the National Research Council to get a specific number, around 0.25 percent of G.D.P. Again, I think that you’d be hard pressed to find any set of assumptions under which Mexican immigrants are a net fiscal plus, but equally hard pressed to make the burden more than a fraction of a percent of G.D.P.

23. ColinATL says:

DougieFresh’s comments on culture and language are inane, in my opinion.

Do you know how many immigrants have come to America over the entire course of our history who didn’t learn the language? TONS of them. But their kids DO learn the language. That’s how it has always happened. Parents get by without learning, but kids learn and assimilate. It takes a generation or two, but in the end, they all become English speaking Americans, ready to do their consumer-driven duty and buy, buy, buy our way out of our national debt, using credit cards, of course. 🙂

24. atlantaman says:

I fairly hardcore on the illegal immigrant issue, but I think this whole landlord enforcement idea is ridiculous. If we want to get serious about illegal immigrants in this country then start fining the crap out of people who employee them, it’s as simple as that…everything else is just window dressing.

What’s next, fining McDonalds for selling Big Macs to illegals?