Yes There Was Bias

Aubrey Smith of the Red & Black has written a column claiming he was not biased in his reporting of the Kidd-Cowsert race and spends the first several paragraphs discussing how Cowsert will never ever represent the interests of Athens, even though that’s where he lives.

No one in their right mind thinks Republican-juggernaut Hudgens will seriously consider the interests of his Athens constituents when casting his votes in Atlanta. The Comer politician sponsored the bill dividing Athens in two.

Finally, asserting The Red & Black’s coverage of the race was a slap in the face to those working on the campaign shows a complete disrespect of the media on the part of Farnsworth and Waters.

Aubrey goes on to write about how Cowsert spent the night, well, in Aubrey’s words:

His choice to celebrate on election night in Oconee and Walton counties rather than in his hometown of Athens leaves little doubt where Cowsert’s allegiance lies.

Aubrey goes on to reiterate:

Cowsert, on the other hand, did not return to Athens as he had told us he would and was consequently referenced fewer times in the article.

Personally, I am not criticizing Cowsert for partying in Oconee and Walton Tuesday night.

The problem is that if you ask anyone close to the Cowsert campaign, they’ll point out that Cowsert spent the majority of his night in Athens — his hometown. But don’t accuse the Red & Black of picking sides, even though Cowsert will not represent Athens because he’s complicit in an evil redistricting scheme and will ignore his hometown to suck up to others while Jane Kidd would have been faithfully loyal to Athens.

No bias there. But this is another reason why a reporter should never write a whining piece about how the reporter showed no bias. It just opens the reporter to further charges that the reporter was biased.

1. Rusty says:

1) Who cares?
    2) Cowsert sponsored the bill to divide the city into two districts, which means he is not remotely interested in representing Athens’ interests. To say otherwise is at best willfully ignorant.

2. Jack S says:

Rusty, you moron, Cowsert just got elected to the Senate. How could he have sponsored anything?

Kidd got waxed, the Dems got waxed. Shut up, it’s over.

3. Rusty says:

Jack S,
    I used the word sponsored when I should have used the word endorsed. Simple mistake, which I acknowledge.

I love how people grow a set of brass balls when they sit behind a keyboard. I’m curious how you’re going to reach through the screen and make me shut up. I await your response with baited breath.

4. Kidd would have won the Oconee, Clarke, Oglethorpe, Madison version of SD 46 by over 2,000 votes (just add up the Kidd/Cowsert and Rawson/Hudgens numbers).

If I were Bill Cowsert I’d move to Walton. Eventually Clarke will be back in a good district and he will be in trouble.

5. atlantaman says:

“Cowsert sponsored the bill to divide the city into two districts, which means he is not remotely interested in representing Athens’ interests.”

I remember getting a mailer from Kathy Ashe, Pat Gardner et al stating that I was going to have 4 State Reps instead of one for my district in Sandy Springs. They went on and on about how great this was going to be to have 4 people representing our interest instead of one.

So what I would suggest is give Kathy Ashe or Pat Gardner a call and they’ll be able to explain to you how Athens is much better off with two Senators instead of one.

6. landman says:

Nothing worse than whining Dems, get over it your candidate got rejected,and BTW if you would like to argue who will represent Athens,I believe it was Kidd who voted AGAINST UGA’S BUDGET,thats really representing Athens!!!!!

7. Georgia Democrats have some nerve to talk about evils of gerrymandering. The maps they produced in 2000 were absolutely disgraceful.

I don’t think the GOP maps contain any “doughnuts” or mile-wide districts.

8. Rusty says:

Republicans complaining about whining. That’s rich.

They who run around in circles screaming like a toddler stung by a bee, throwing around charges of bias and treason, when someone reports a fact that doesn’t advance their agenda…

They who make an entire news cycle out of companies instructing employees to say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas…

They who take phony-tough approaches to problem-solving and continue to pursue them after they’ve been proven not to work, the governing equivalent of sticking fingers in their ears and screaming LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA while their house is burning down around them.

I could go on.

But, yes, the Democratic gerrymandering was equally disgraceful.

9. RuralDem says:

“Georgia Democrats have some nerve to talk about evils of gerrymandering.”

Yeah and you guys sat there and moaned and groaned on how evil the Democrats are with redistricting and then you pull the same thing.

Two wrongs do not make a right. But I guess it’s not wrong if a Republican does it right? Blah.

10. atlantaman says:

Gerrymandering is something that virtually every single state does. It’s a term that goes back to the early 1800’s and for the most part is fairly accepted as the spoils to the majority party.

What the GA GOP has done in the way of “gerrymandering” is such child’s play compared to other states and especially the previous Dem administration that I can’t believe it’s even being discussed.