Marshall Wins

No surprise here.

All the numbers are in, and U.S. Rep. Jim Marshall won in the 8th Congressional District without a recount.

It was a tight race, but outstanding provisional ballots and the few military absentee ballots returned to county elections officials didn’t change the race’s outcome.

Marshall won with 50.5 percent of the vote to Republican challenger Mac Collins’ 49.5 percent. It was a margin of 1,751 votes, or 1.1 percent of the total votes cast, according to results provided by elections officials in the 21 counties that make up the district.

1. jsm says:

After all the discussion of the ramifications of this race, I can’t wait to see his vote for speaker. It will give much insight into his true position. I hope he represents the views of his district, as has been promised by his supporters.

2. I would guess his district would want him to vote for the person for speaker that can get him the best committees and the most leverage on the upcoming Ag bill…that’s Pelosi. Republicans will have to learn to deal with it if they think Georgia voters care more about Nancy Pelosi than Jim Marshall. Running against Cynthia McKinney hasn’t worked for Republicans and she’s much more polarizing than Pelosi.

3. jsm says:

Before now, RuralDem and others on this board have tried to distance Marshall from Pelosi. RD even said that there was no 100% guarantee that Marshall would vote for Pelosi for speaker. Sounds like the story is changing–already.

I don’t believe the people of the 8th district share Pelosi’s values. If Marshall were to represent the views of those in his district, he would vote against her. This vote will say a lot about him. Marshall’s campaign sought to distance him from the left. Actions speak louder than words. I hope the voters of the 8th are watching.

4. IndyInjun says:

jsm…

Pelosi is pledged to refrain from impeachment, despite motions passed in HER DISTRICT calling for it.

By your “logic” she should take the extreme position of her constituents?

My comments to what you wrote in parenthesis ……”If Marshall (Pelosi) were to represent the views of those in his (her) district, he (she) would vote against her (Bush). ”

I prefer that they both use sound reason.

5. RuralDem says:

jsm,

I still stand by what I said, thanks. There is no 100% gurantee that he will vote for Pelosi. I personally hope one of the more centrist Democrats run against her, though it’s quickly becoming unlikely :(. Is it likely that he will vote for her? It is likely but for all we know he could do like Congressman Gene Taylor and vote for Murtha, or vote for no one.

If the vote for Speaker was close, I think this would matter more, but it will not be close at all.

Congressman Marshall is not a liberal. He’s a centrist and a perfect fit for his district. It’s amazing how partisan some people are on this board…. if Marshall had a R next to his name I would the majority of people on here would praise him constantly.

6. RuralDem says:

Sorry for the double post but I meant to say

“Oh well, maybe one day people will realize the people matter more than the party. After all, Congressman Marshall has.

7. jsm says:

Yes, Indy. I think Pelosi should represent the people in her district. However, I understand that she is having to speak for the entire Democrat delegation because of her leadership status. So, although she, as a legislator, may support impeaching Bush, her position has her singing a different tune.

8. jsm says:

The Democratic caucus voted unanimously today for Pelosi to be speaker. I’m sure Marshall’s constituency supports that.