Veterans day and Gameday open thread

Happy Veterans’ Day. On that note, it could be a very happy day for fans of Georgia Tech football, as a win against 1-8 North Carolina would put them in the ACC Championship game.

On the other hand, the Dawgs are playing at Auburn, and are fighting to avoid being one step away from a 6-6 finish to this very disappointing season.

Thoughts? Open thread.

1. kevin35 says:

I would like to say thank you to the Veterans who served and the soliders who are serving now, thanks for giving me the freedom to write in this post and to see the movie Flags of our Fathers.
    I do hope Tech and the Dawgs win today and the Falcons Sunday.
    The next is a question, is a person who ran as a Dem with conservative values welcomed back in the party or I am stained and have to buck up that I have this title and learn to defend it in the red county. All I wanted to do was give the voters a second chance to vote in the GA House Race and show that you will not be shot or beaten up if you step up and run.
    I did get close to 25% and had 30% until the absentee votes were counted and I was projected to get 10%. I did get more votes then any non incumbent, I will admit, I had no time due to work to change the voters mind that I was not a Nancy or Kennedy and would not take guns away and raise taxes.
    If this title as a Dem sticks with me just respect me and know I scored an A on the NRA endorsement letter and would vote with the voters in mind not the party if I decide to run and win.
    Erick, I would like to thank you for running a great blog and allowing me to post and I may not come down to Macon to kick your ass but would like to come down and learn from you and just fight the good fight like I did this time.
    I am happy with the the results of the House races for Georgia but I am not happy Max lost.
    I do wish Jack Kingston the best in the hunt to be a leader in the Party, I still think he would look good in 2008 for president whichI told him when I stumped for my dad in Southern Georgia in 2002.
    The last comment is for my dad, I am proud to call him my dad and I am happy to say blood is thicker then politics. I hope Karen can find him a spot in her office staff and maybe support him when she runs in 2010 for Governor.

2. Jeff says:

To all the Veterans out there who fought in WWI (if any are left) and WWII thankyou, this country would not be as great as it is without your sacrifice for this country. For those who fought in everything since…I am so sorry. It is a shame that power drunken politicos sent you all into battle for their own personal reasons, you all deserve better. And for all the homeless veterans (and they make up quite a percentage of the homeless), thankyou too. Do not listen to the heartless conservative American who thinks that all poor people just did not try hard enough. Your sacrifice has been the greatest, you served your country (at the behest of a few assholes) and lost all that is precious in life, but life itself. And for those soldiers still in Iraq, I hope we see you soon, there may actually be a chance of that now with the changes in D.C.

3. GAWire says:

Jeff (above – not Emanuel), you’re an idiot and a disgrace. Your opinion is absent of value. Why don’t you just go away.

4. Jeff says:

Obviously my opinion has value, or atleast for you to make a wasted attempt to rebutt. Buzz…I honor all veterans, but I must sympathize as for those who died in pseudo-wars…(operations and police actions).

5. rugby_fan says:

Wait for me, and I’ll return
    Only wait very hard
    Wait when you are filled with sorrow
    Wait in the sweltering heat
    Wait when the others have stopped waiting,
    Forgetting their yesterdays.
    Wait even when from afar no letters come to you
    Wait even when others are tired of waiting…
    And when friends sit around the fire,
    Drinking to my memory,
    Wait, and do not hurry to drink to my memory too.
    Wait. For I’ll return, defying every death.
    And let those who do not wait say that I was lucky.
    They will never understand that in the midst of death,
    You with you waiting saved me.
    Only you and I know how I survived.
    It’s because you waited, as no one else did.

6. northside elephant says:

Jeff (not Jeff E.)

I fought in Iraq in ’03. I don’t need your facetious “thank you” tied up with narrow minded political opinions.

Another thing Jeff, to denigrate and belittle the deaths of servicemen who stood post in “psuedo-wars” is intollerable! Every day there are military personnel putting their life on the line. Peacetime, wartime, combat zones, in garrison, it doesn’t matter! We are veterans who understand something about duty and honor.

7. GAWire says:

I was going to tell Jeff (the moron above – not Jeff E) that the veterans and current soldiers don’t need his sympathy one bit, but I think it sounds much sweeter coming from northside elephant, a veteran himself.

And, to you, Jeff (again, not Jeff E), contrary to your assenine belief, no one gives your argument any credit … we just want to make sure that no one else who might be reading PP thinks that we agree with your stupidity.