“Race-baiting was not our intent”

Franklin, Young, Lewis and Eaves defend their race baiting ad:

“If you were offended by something I said, I apologize. But I’m actually infuriated by some of the partisan and divisive politics I’ve seen in the past five years. What I said in that ad, I said right-wing Republicans, I didn’t give them any gender or race. I happen to believe that right-wing Republicans have made some big mistakes in America, and I said exactly what I thought.

“John Lewis spoke of his experiences. Andy Young spoke of his. I know I wouldn’t be standing here if it hadn’t been for Andy Young and John Lewis. The bottom line is that I don’t know of anybody in my position who wouldn’t stand with Andy Young and John Lewis.”

Young said Thursday that he, too, has no regrets about taking part in the ad.

Franklin said the ad was in a response to a mailing by Fulton Republicans that said Democrats win elections by lying and stealing.

“Sometimes you just have to fight back,” she said.

Mike Dvorscak, chairman of the Fulton County Republican Party, said Thursday that he had been unaware of any such ad.

“The people on my side of the fence view this as racist,” Dvorscak said of the ad. “To talk about rolling back civil rights is preposterous. I’m calling on them, and John Eaves, to publicly apologize to the citizens of Fulton County.”

Lewis said the ad was not racist.

“I don’t think there was anything racially inflammatory at all,” Lewis said this week. “The ad was straightforward. Anyone who saw it as race-baiting failed to see the ad.”

Eaves said he was shocked that people have reacted negatively to the ad.

“Race-baiting was not our intent,” he said, adding that they simply wanted to get out the vote.

The ad worked so I’m sure we’ll see similar ads next election. However, Eaves has to govern now and what impact will this have on his ability to get things done? Couple Eaves’ actions with Ms. Angela’s inflamatory mailing and I suspect the desire to recreate Milton County will intensify.

In case you haven’t heard, here’s the ad in question.

1. debbie0040 says:

The GOP controlled Legislature needs to keep that ad and play it to Franklin and company next time they come to the Legislature for help for Atlanta.

2. gatormathis says:

Well, if they sed it ain’t so, surely it ain’t so.

But then again, I remember Andy Young, man of many positions.

Back at the first of the summer, Andy loved Wal-Mart, then he didn’t. But he cashed their checks for a while. I bet those weren’t minimum wage checks either.

Now he race-baited, but when confronted, he says naw he didn’t.

Shirly Franklin, the golden-haired bombshell from Atlanta. She is about as flaky as a Pillsbury biscuit.
    Every time you turn around, she is peddling her influence somewhere.

Won’t be long, she’ll succumb to the unresistable cash calling like her predecessors.

That way, everyone will be partying so hard and living so fast, they won’t pay as much attention to these buffoons of government for their entertainment..

3. atlantaman says:

“What they need to do is stop all the idiot pandering and get more great conventions to Atlanta.”

No kidding, we keep losing major conventions in Atlanta and having that ridiculous ad getting played on national news isn’t helping the cause. People are not going to come to the city that hates white people.

John Lewis can barely speak the king’s english, Andy Young needed to endear himself to the black community for previously selling himself out, but Shirley Franklin I’m surprised at and ashamed of.

4. RandyMiller says:

Some years back I voted for Pitts over Franklin for mayor of Atlanta. I always thought I made the best choice and now I know I did. Too bad Atlanta can’t get Sam Massell back!

It also kills me that the three don’t see this as racist. The white racist equivelant would be,”vote for so and so, they’ll keep marta out of our northern burbs, protecting our property values, because if we let marta in…” If an ad like that ran we’d see an explosive reaction! Jesse Jackson & Al Sharpton would be here, telling folks they wouldn’t seat them at the Commerce Club! I’m afraid Shirley Franklin is just another
    Bill Campbell, just a little more clever. Hey, doesn’t her family hold the rental space at Hartsfield for vendors?

Shirley, you are such a tool!
    (elephantelephant)

5. John Galt says:

‘Cause it’s the A-T-L
    Where all the pimps and the playas just dwell
    We get the cash and the ass then bail
    We leave a trace but never leave a trail

6. CobbGOPer says:

The real issue of this ad is the last line:

“Your life may depend on it.”

So if you don’t vote for Eaves, your life may be in danger?

7. RandyMiller says:

This question of convention potential being affected is a very serious. God, I bet they’re some Hotel/Restaurant owners upset about this.

8. SouthPeach says:

This is EXACTLY why cities in Fulton County are incorporating. Who wants to live and pay taxes in a city who looks upon their good citizens as threats! I agree with Debbie0040 to show them the ad when they come begging for money….AND, they will. What is Franklin going to do with her itty bitty city when she has run everyone out of it to form their own incorporated city??? I think the next thing should be to split the county and make it 2 counties if they are that scared and feel that threatened!!!!!!

9. CobbGOPer says:

This is the straw that breaks the camel’s back. The Milton County legislation will now likely sail through the upcoming legislative session, and that will be a good thing for the citizens of North Fulton.

10. SpaceyG says:

“Itty bitty” city, SP? I don’t think so! Most of the Mayor’s speech Wednesday at the Commerce Club, the one where she responded VERY emphatically to the “race baiting” controversy and then moved on to important issues, was about the need for good, strong, responsible financial planning, now and way into our (and our children’s) future to provide for a city that can easily be at 800K citizens within 5 years. Yet a city where 24% of the population still lives below the poverty line.

Clearly, such a wild mix and shift is going to require a lot more creativity on everyone’s part, if they are capable to rising to the occasion instead of just sending out mass mailings telling people, erroneously, that they can’t vote, as Republicans wasted a campaign of mis-information doing in this election. No wonder the Mayor was angry and pushed back! Who wouldn’t be?

We’re bursting at the seams here in the city limits of Atlanta, and droves of motivated (and smart) young people are flocking-in.

Tired, old, FEAR-based politics that play to white folks’ stereotypes about Dems and blacks is a waste of everyone’s time and effort, especially when you are living, working and building in a dynamic, thriving urban environment.

Come join in the reindeer games.

11. SouthPeach says:

SpaceyG….yes, it WILL be an “itty bitty” city when all the incorporated cities come about and ATL(as some call it)…won’t have the money coming in. You can scream and stammer and huff and puff….but, without the money from the fluential part of the county, what will happen to ATL?? Franklin better wake up and smell the coffee…or their ain’t gonna be any left to smell!!!!!!!!

12. conservativecore says:

The fact is Shirley has come hat in hand literally to the legislature since she took office. This kind of rhetoric will close many of the doors she has worked so hard to open.

I think it is time Republicans stop worrying about the pandering back stabbing hacks from Atlanta and move on with what we know is the best for all of Georgia.
    1. Take the airport away from the city first thing. Earl Ehrhart and friends need to find the balls to finish the drill
    2. Take away the cities special privelages and taxing authirity.
    3. Call for a real audit of the city and its use of state funds

Every time we try to get along with a Democrat they stab us in the back a la Newt and Clinton. When the democrats start to give credit where credit is due then I think we can have an honest dialogue but until that day comes why bother with them. They are not worth the energy or time. And before you say that is racist that means Bobby Kahn and Dubose Porter too.

13. gatormathis says:

Give me a break.

Race baiting was their only intention.

Demonbeck is correct in his assumption. Straight-forward, right out of their mouths, it was said. This was a scripted ad, planned and filmed for maximum effect. So don’t make like it was a simple slip of the tongue.

Everyone will deny the political incorrectness of it all, and say some sort of oppression caused the need to do it.

Young screwed up running his mouthin the Wal Mart mess, now him, blonde-bombshell beauty Shirley and “Laverne” Lewis have also weighed in.

How we have such incompetent idiots running the premeir city of the southeast is beyond me. Shirley, she talks a good line of BS, but that’s about it.

14. gatormathis says:

As with everything, some people just can’t grasp words with simple meanings.

Race Baiting: The art of dangling a cane pole over the fence at Atlanta Raceway during raceday with a big ole fat juicy bologna sammich attached.

After the race starts, this is done in hope that your favorite “racer” will take the “bait” and pull his car ahead of others on the track.

Some “racers” have been known to snatch the “sammich” from the pole and enjoy a hearty meal, one they would other wise not get until the end of the race.

For example, Tony Stewart fans spray their bread with orange food coloring, and he likes grey poupon mustard only. One fan used “common” mustard, only to have his sammich flung back into the stands on the next lap.

It’s hard to figure out what all the commotion is about, besides, it all just boils down to “racing” in the long run.

Everyone wants to win the race, but there will always be only one winner. Race fans.

The next lesson will be on Bait Racing. sport of the Adirondacks.

15. atlantaman says:

“Call for a real audit of the city.”

Not trying to be patronizing, but I don’t know if you understand the shockwaves that would send through the City of Atlanta Government. You might have patronage sucking hacks jumping from windows even at the threat of an audit from a Big 5 accounting firm.

16. Demonbeck says:

“You might have patronage sucking hacks jumping from windows even at the threat of an audit from a Big 5 accounting firm. ”

Tell them to aim for private land, not public streets or sidewalks.